PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome shell compiz fusion xfce

Cresho
September 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
I know many of you here have seen the new gnome shell in gnome 3 working with zeitgeist. Also, Many of you have realized that compiz-fusion may or may not work at all with gnome shell. Since gnome seems to want to move forward (or backwards from my perspective), it seems as they feel the guys at compiz-fusion aren't working fast enough for them. What are your ideas or feelings of the new beta interface of Mutter or what ever it's called? Is compiz going to prosper in another front end?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug-ie1sJHuE

Do you think the future of compiz-fusion is in XFCE? gnome will have gnome shell as kwin is in kde 4.

From my personal experience, being able to do anything with my desktop is what I love about linux and yes i came from windows to kde 2, 3, gnome 2 and then to compiz on gnome.. I been using ubuntu for a good 3-4 years now. Very happy with the current gnome compiz setup (no cube usage at all but its configured to where i like everything). Being able to do what I want is what is important. Kwin is constrictive in kde 4 and i'm sure gnome will be just as bad in gnome shell.

what do you guys think?

coldReactive
September 24th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Have you tried compiz with gnome-shell? If you have and it doesn't work, you might want to set compiz to be standalone:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/2827/howto-run-compiz-as-a-standalone-window-manager

I've done this for gnome/Ubuntu 9.04 (just leave off lxpanel and use gnome-panel instead.) Though I don't know if it was a success because I can't tell if it's running stand-alone, lol.

Cresho
September 25th, 2009, 02:55 AM
ohh god! Don't know who to thank. This is the exact info I been searching all day or days or weeks. I really wanted to know if it was possible to turn that gnome shell off to use compiz.

You see, I did an install of kde 4.3 thinking it would save me. I used an external usb drive and let me tell you it is kick butt and all but I cannot stomach it at all! It's funny but it gives me a headache after using it for a while. I mean it seriously does. the 200fps refresh rate of compiz is super smooth and kde 4.3 is just plain headache causing on me. NOt only that, the fonts are hurting my eyes. You see, I have a super sharp and awesome monitor and all and I can see the quality between these 2. On a regular monitor, you can't tell the difference but the rendering of compiz is just awesome. no flickering, tearing, i use smplayer for its opengl for video. Even kde 4.3 has video tearing and that was the last straw! Ill probably try it again later on but as of now, hardy heron is just been good to me

For some reason, gnome is much better for me. I wanted to try kde, I just can't stomach it. I been using kde since mandrake back in 1999

Thanks for this info! I see hope for me, gnome, and another 40 plus years of picture storing, evolution, and video editing before i kick the bucket.