PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Spanish keyboard

gjmata
September 23rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
I'm using Ubuntu Jaunty. Since I do most of my work in english, I am using english as my desktop language.

However, my keyboard has a spanish layout. And ocassionally I need to write spanish documents in Open Office (OO).

The problem is that spanish especific characters (accents, ñ ) are not recognized in OO. Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo J. Mata

clonne4crw
September 28th, 2009, 03:24 AM
You can always change the keyboard layout under Keyboard Settings. Or have you done this already?

I guess you could do what I do for Spanish class and use ASCII scan codeshttp://www.lingolex.com/spanishascii.htm

gjmata
October 8th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Changing the keyboard layout does not work, unfortunately.

I must add that the ñ caracter works. So does ¿

But I cannot type accented vowels. The accent character comes out separate from the accented character, like this: ´a.

gjmata
October 8th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I must add that the umlaut character has the same problem. It comes out as:

¨u

theZoid
October 9th, 2009, 12:52 AM
My wife is Peruvian, and she had those characters mapped somehow, like an alt-u did the umlaut, but that was in windows...

I guess I'm not much help....

jadu
March 3rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
I would like to reactivate this thread.
I have added spanish to keyboard preferences. and a shortcut that activates it.
The problem is, when it activates spanish, only some of the keys work! the ñ works, and so do other parts of the spanish layout. but the accented keys don't work. what should be an accented a comes out as {a.
anyone know why?
thanks

jmrasor
April 20th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I added the Spanish keyboard (not the Latin American one), and it works fine: á, ñ, ü, etc.

I've got Ubuntu Karmic installed with Spanish GUI (sitting in Guatemala), so I did this:

Sistema - Preferencias - Teclado - Distribuciones - Añadir - España

I'm guessing the English menu choices would go something like:

System - Preferences - Keyboard - Layouts - Add - Spain.

I had an ugly time with this, 'cuz I wanted to stick with Latin American keyboard, and I had the same problem you did, jadu. Bleepin' {a instead of á. Now, umlaut works as well.

rnerwein
April 20th, 2010, 09:02 PM
hi
i have a german keyboard and when i must have a special character like ã or ñ i use:
right-Alt ~a --> ã ( type Alt and ~ at once and then a )

ciao