PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] TOSHIBA A300d - 22e + HARDY 8.04 + WIFI + BLUETOOTH + LCD BACKLIGHT

tucano
September 23rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hi there,

i've been searching guides to set up my toshiba a300d for wifi bluetooth and brightness for 2 days. Finally i managed to get it work!!

Some pieces of my guide are not written by me, so credits go to their creator. I will only use them to explain the procedure!!

Here's my HOWTO:

HARDWARE:

Wireless Atheros AR5007eg
Bluetooth (from "lsusb") identified as 0930:0200

First of all install Madwifi drivers for ar5007eg:

A: First off be sure the build-essential package is installed
Code:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

B: You will need the linux-restricted-modules package installed to be able to compile the driver
Code:

sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-$(uname -r)

C: Also install subversion
Code:

sudo apt-get install subversion

NOTE:If you have been using ndiswrapper like I was you need to disable/remove it

I recommend doing what I did and run the first command in section 4 before removing ndiswrapper that way you can avoid hooking up to a wired network if your wireless is functional using ndiswrapper
Code:

sudo ndiswrapper -e net5211
sudo modprobe -r ndiswrapper
sudo apt-get remove --purge ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils ndisgtk

Also run
Code:

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Remove any references to ath_pci and ath_hal

* Before the next steps go to System ->Administration ->Hardware Drivers and make sure both Atheros drivers are disabled and reboot the system if they were not.

D: Get the files and install the driver
Code:

svn co http://svn.madwifi-project.org/madwifi/branches/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6
cd ~/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6
make
sudo make install
sudo depmod -ae
sudo modprobe ath_pci
echo ath_hal | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
echo ath_pci | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

E: Finally go to System ->Administration ->Hardware Drivers and reenable the Atheros drivers and reboot the system.

One thing I should add is you will need to repeat this procedure whenever you get a kernel update.I have just kept the downloaded packages on my system and after booting into a new kernel I do:

Code:

cd ~/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6
make clean
sudo make install

Reboot and I am up and running again.
Hopefully this makes your day like it did mine!

Note:
If everything installs and loads properly but you cannot connect to any networks you probably need to configure your network properly.Try browsing through here http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/FirstTimeHowTo for assistance.

After this step you have to:

1) Be sure that the "acpid" service is enabled from System -> Administration -> Services

2) Install OMNIBOOK module:

cd ~
mkdir omnibook
cd omnibook
svn co https://omnibook.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/omnibook/omnibook/trunk
cd trunk
make
sudo make install

The A300d is not directly supported by omnibook module so we have to force it with proper options (the best ectype I found is 12, but you can try :))

sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe omnibook ectype=12

4) Then you have to make a file called omnibook.modprobe in /etc/modprobe.d/ with the following line:

options omnibook ectype=12 userset=1 bluetooth=1 lcd=1 wifi=1

5) Now the bluetooth still don't works...REBOOT and it will work!! you can see the icon in the traybar and you can try
lsusb or
hcitool dev or
hcitool scan to be sure it works!

Futhermore, if you check
Hardware drivers or
dmesg you will see there are some errors regarding the module
ath_pci and the wireless will obviously not work!!

6) To get wireless again, you have to do again the part of the procedure we used to active Madwifi (ONLY POINT D AND E because you don't need to download again the drivers....)

Doing point D and E can give an output with some errors (e.g. "impossible to insert this module into kernel"), but don't care, type all commands of D and E and you're done...reboot and you will have bluetooth and wireless on ;)

P.S. don't add "omnibook" to /etc/modules because it will break your bluetooth support. To regulate screen brightness you can right-click on the panel->add to panel->brightness applet to regulate with a click the brightness of the screen

P.P.S. if you don't have bluetooth or you don't care about it, you can try as last step to add "omnibook" to /etc/modules by typing

sudo gedit /etc/modules

and adding at the end of the file omnibook

Doing this, probably will activate the "fn+f6, fn+f7" to regulate the lcd brightness from the keyboard (and maybe other combinations "fn+...")

IMPORTANT: i'm still trying, but I suspect that after completing the procedure, turning off the pc will not work properly anymore: infact the pc STARTS UP AUTOMATICALLY AFTER SOME MINUTES!!! :lolflag:

please do some test!!

comment if the guide was useful!! this notebook has a so POOR support!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Go linux GO!!!!

tucano
September 24th, 2009, 10:20 AM
NEWS: the computer after installing bluetooth when is turned off, automatically powers up after a random time: the solution for this is to write
acpi_osi="Linux" next to kernel boot parameters in /boot/grub/menu.lst