PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which desktop environment has best regional options support

netJackDaw
September 23rd, 2009, 10:46 AM
I am getting tired of Gnome as they tend to think that if you want swedish regional option you better use the whole system in swedish.

I don't want that! (Why? Because it is almost always easier to find support and solutions if you use names in a language that as many as possible understands and use!)

I want the operating system language to be my preferred (english) and all regional settings like date- and time format, paper sizes, currency... to be swedish.

I know how I can set these options in /etc/environment. But that is not a solution in the long run. At least not user friendly or support friendly.

Does anyone know of a Desktop Environment that lets you set these things as expected? Windows and OS X can do this but that's no options! :-) KDE could do this last time I checked, but I'm not a real fan of KDE.

How about XFCE, LXDE, Enlightenment...? Does someone know if these options are handled differently in other distributions? ...or do they tend to follow the upstream?

Lars Noodén
September 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
I was going to recommend KDE, but I see that you've already seen it.
Are you planning on switching between localizations or staying in Swedish the whole time you use the machine?

netJackDaw
September 23rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
On my desktop machines I always use english with swedish regional settings. I don't switch between different settings. As I mentioned I know how to do this with settings in /etc/environment. Do you have a better suggestion?

What I really want is an easy way to do this, that is supported over time and releases. Also it is a pain (not hard but unnecessary) to set up for every new machine. And sometimes I even forgot how I did it last time...