PDA

View Full Version : 10 biggest issues of the Microsoft Mentality

SunnyRabbiera
September 23rd, 2009, 10:08 AM
Something I wrote:

10: The “just works” mentality:
No OS in the world magically works with all the hardware/ software you need, everyone needs developers.
The problem is that people think just because something seems to “just work”, doesn't mean it really does “just work”
The biggest example of this is ATI and its drivers, when people try Linux and their hardware doesn't work they immediately blame linux for the issue as opposed to blaming the real culprit:
ATI
What people don't know is that even on Windows they are lucky the ATI card works on anything, fact is that most software issues and most hardware issues come dont come from the OS but the manufacturer.
ATI is one company that seems to have an awful reputation, Creative is another.

9: The “it worked in Windows” mentality
Granted there is a lot of hardware and software that seems to magically work in Windows, but most of the time the drivers for your device, the program you like came bundled with Windows and most of those said devices and programs were made mainly for Windows.
This issue is related to the above, but people often forget when they try an alternate to Windows they expect the alternate OS to work with the same exact way as Windows.
But it wont, only Windows works like Windows.

8: The “But its so HARD” mentality
Now this issue has become almost moot these days, but its still there.
If you use say Ubuntu or openSUSE you might find both linux variants quite easy.
The issue comes when you have an issue or have no real point of reference in your new OS.
No one can learn a OS overnight, even Windows users who think they know how to do everything on Windows might not know everything, most users click on a big blue E and think that is all there is to the computer.
But one does need to know more then the blue E, for hardcore windows users its essential to know the weaknesses of Windows and how to help others avoid them.
But most Windows users dont even know what a vast majority of the things are out there that might help them so educated windows users need to brush others up.

7: The “We need the latest greatest software/hardware” mentality
One thing that Microsoft has given us is that the “latest” software is always “The greatest”
Not all the time, this issue can be troublesome for many as for years we had to update in order to keep safe...
But now maybe this mentality needs to change a little, some of the more recent versions of Windows and Linux software is not up to speed sometimes.

6: The “I paid for it, so it must be good” mentality
The best things in life are free, thats the motto of free and open source software.
But we live in a high priced world, so anything with a high pricetag must be great right?
No, not all the time.
And in this economy no one can afford high priced software, so I think we should take what we can get.

5: The “I dont like the looks of it” mentality
When going on to say Ubuntu the new user sometimes says “I hate the look, make it look like windows!”
Most people dont like Ubuntu's brown colors, I admit I am not overly fond of Ubuntu's looks either but I still say it looks better then say Windows XP and its “Luna” theme that in my eyes looks like a child's toy.
What people dont know is that on linux you are not locked in on one look, you can change it to suit your own needs.

4: The “I tried it once and it SUCKS” mentality
I once thought like this when I first used linux back in 2003, but now I fully appreciate linux as its come a long way since I first used it.
Granted its not perfect but no OS is.

3: The “Oh my god where am I?” mentality
Actually I still sort of have this one :D
Basically people who install linux dont know where things go on it, there is no “my Documents”
or “C:/ Program files” in the users line of vision, but its easy to get lost on windows too,

2: The “What the flying @#% is this thing” mentality
Different interfaces happen, each OS has its own look and its own personality.
You cant just leap into something without getting used to it first.

And 1: “Where the @#$%^ is the Blue E” Mentality
Actually if you have this you really dont have any real right to use a computer, much less linux unless they brush up more on how a computer works. It sounds elitist I know but really users need to know more then just the blue E if they want a decent computer experience.

bodyharvester
September 23rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
thats pretty good, worthy of a sig link even. :popcorn:

3rdalbum
September 23rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
The worst thing is:

"Windows makes sense and Linux doesn't".

You've seen this before - someone complaining that there's no "Program Files" on Linux. "Windows is so much better, at least programs don't put files all over the place!".

I've even seen people complaining about how downloading a binary installer is so much better than using Synaptic; how bizarre is that?

fuzzyk.k
September 23rd, 2009, 12:14 PM
People have this mentality "I don't want to use Linux because ,i don't like typing commands"

t0p
September 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Now this issue has become almost moot these days, but its still there.
If you use say Ubuntu or openSUSE you might find both linux variants quite easy.
The issue comes when you have an issue or have no real point of reference in your new OS.
No one can learn a OS overnight, even Windows users who think they know how to do everything on Windows might not know everything, most users click on a big blue E and think that is all there is to the computer.
But one does need to know more then the blue E, for hardcore windows users its essential to know the weaknesses of Windows and how to help others avoid them.
But most Windows users dont even know what a vast majority of the things are out there that might help them so educated windows users need to brush others up.

This is one of my biggest bugbears too. Some people who harp on about how "Windows is easy, Linux is hard" seem to think they were born knowing how to use Windows! They don't remember that they had to learn how to use XP/98/whatever. And they don't want to have to learn how to use Linux.

Or they say that "Linux is hard" just because it's different to Windows. In their minds, Windows = Easy, NotWindows = Hard. Grrr!

keiichidono
September 23rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/wrongms.htm : What's wrong with Microsoft?

Tristam Green
September 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Actually if you have this you really dont have any real right to use a computer, much less linux unless they brush up more on how a computer works. It sounds elitist I know but really users need to know more then just the blue E if they want a decent computer experience.

Shame on you. It doesn't just sound elitist; it is elitism, and it's wrong. Any support person worth his/her salt knows better than to insult the intelligence of their users.

Consumers/users utilize what they want and need on a computer. No more, no less. If they're concerned only with using internet-based software like Blogspot or Google Docs, and the big blue E is a familiarity tool for them, educate them of course about other alternative browsers, but do not say they should be denied the "right to use a computer".

Schools really do need to start teaching more soft skills.

keplerspeed
September 23rd, 2009, 02:34 PM
It is amazing however how many people arent even aware of the alternative, Firefox. They just havnt heard of it. Sure makes my gigglie when I see someone using Expl. however!

Tristam Green
September 23rd, 2009, 02:39 PM
It is amazing however how many people arent even aware of the alternative, Firefox. They just havnt heard of it. Sure makes my gigglie when I see someone using Expl. however!

And that's exactly my point - talk about it, let them know it's out there, but don't commit the cardinal sins:

1) Don't claim that it's inherently more secure than IE/Safari/Chrome (this goes for all browsers) - the software is only as secure as the user behind it.

2) Don't force it on them. If they want to use it, they will. If they don't, or are more comfortable with IE/Safari/Chrome, they will use that.

Dimitriid
September 23rd, 2009, 03:11 PM
I agree with all of the points but how is this specifically encouraged by Microsoft or its employees?

the.dark.lord
September 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
A very good post, but I disagree with the last point. What are we trying to do? Get everyone computer science degrees?

sydbat
September 23rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/wrongms.htm : What's wrong with Microsoft?Good article. However, I have to disagree with this one statement:
But since then, people are being born into a Web-aware world. Kids are growing up with computers and the internet. They're learning right from day one how to use a computer. Slowly, clueless users are fading away and clued-up users are replacing them. It's an irreversible trend. Sooner or later, it will triumph.As an adult with a computer degree, I hopefully have a better understanding than the "average" user. I also know that, in my personal experience with many kids, that they are just as clueless as their parents, grandparents and teachers concerning computers.

As tech support for my family (why does that always happen to us?), I have had to remove more malware from Windows boxes used by nieces and nephews than I see in "average" users boxes. Why? Because kids are the latest sheeple. They learn nothing about computers at school (unless you consider how to open a MS Word file or use IE and MSN for 'research' to be learning computers) and are almost more easily tricked into downloading malware.

The Linux boxes I have set up for those who asked are fine. These people (age range from 20-something to 82) know more about their computers and how they work, than they ever did with Windows. Part of that is their desire to learn, and part of that is my helping educate them.

Oh, the one point that the OP made about not liking the Windows Aero interface because it looks more like a toy...adults tend to be drawn to "cute" things. Think teddy bears - they have short little arms and legs, and they are always made to be cute. The original teddy bears had longer arms and legs and children are much more attracted to them (which is why you find these types more and more). The reason? Children see the teddy bear with longer arms/legs as though they are an adult. Adults see the "traditional" teddy, with short arms/legs as a baby.**

Microsoft is smart to make an interface that appeals to adults in a similar way so they can sell more products (hence the reason they hire/work with so many psychologists in developing those interfaces).

**I have tried to find the studies that showed this, but I have not been able to yet...just other people referencing them.

Sealbhach
September 23rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
I once thought like this when I first used linux back in 2003, but now I fully appreciate linux as its come a long way since I first used it.
Granted its not perfect but no OS is.

This is the one that gets to me. Especially on tech forums when someone recommends Ubuntu and then someone else jumps on saying "if you want to edit config files and compile kernels all day long then Linux is for you". Makes me mad.:mad:

SunnyRabbiera
September 23rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
A very good post, but I disagree with the last point. What are we trying to do? Get everyone computer science degrees?

Shame on you. It doesn't just sound elitist; it is elitism, and it's wrong. Any support person worth his/her salt knows better than to insult the intelligence of their users.

Consumers/users utilize what they want and need on a computer. No more, no less. If they're concerned only with using internet-based software like Blogspot or Google Docs, and the big blue E is a familiarity tool for them, educate them of course about other alternative browsers, but do not say they should be denied the "right to use a computer".

The thing is that IE is the biggest weakness for windows and its the most exploited browser, we need to make people know about more browsers and how a computer works.

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Hahahahhahaha. I don't have any of those things. I couldn't go back.

Tristam Green
September 23rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
The thing is that IE is the biggest weakness for windows and its the most exploited browser, we need to make people know about more browsers and how a computer works.

Then educate without belittling, SB.

IE *was* the biggest weakness for Windows. IE7 (and moreso, IE8) are phenomenal when compared to the maligned (rightly so) IE6.

blur xc
September 23rd, 2009, 08:25 PM

Funny you mention that. We had some guests over that wanted to look something up on the internet. They sit down, and stare at the desktop with a confused look on their face- uh...

So, I tell them I don't use IE, I use FF- and my father-in-law always chimes in, "Yeah, he uses something no-one has ever heard of"...

He's 64 (almost) and I don't think there's any way to tell him that a lot Windows users ditch IE too...

BM

Random-penguin
September 23rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
"Schools really do need to start teaching more soft skills."

This I totally agree with.

I realise that for the schools they like to teach the skills(?) needed to use the most common OS, but how many times have you come across teachers that deny that anything else exists, or is safe for our children??? Or parents / children being bullied into using IE for off site access to course work....

Surely the schools should at least point out the existence of alternative OS's and there merits... which will lead to those with an interest in computers exploring more of their subject.... Surely one of the points of education.... But then again perhaps league tables are more important (I'm in the UK).

KiwiNZ
September 23rd, 2009, 08:53 PM

That is incredibly arrogant. Users are entitled to use and are entitled to expect to have on their computers what they want on their computers.

This movement is all about choice, the choice to the Blue E is exactly that , a choice.

SunnyRabbiera
September 23rd, 2009, 09:04 PM
That is incredibly arrogant. Users are entitled to use and are entitled to expect to have on their computers what they want on their computers.

This movement is all about choice, the choice to the Blue E is exactly that , a choice.

Yes but most people are unaware they have a choice.
They need to know they do.

LowSky
September 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM

Quite true. I am really annoyed when a someone comes to me to help mail merge a document correctly, or how to use formulas in a spreadsheet, or setup their E-mail signature.

MS Office is the most used office suite out there and far too many people have no idea how to use it.

Tristam Green
September 23rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
I hate to say this, but you guys need to look up the definition of soft skills.

Soft Skills are the Soylent Green of skills - they're people! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_skills)

SunnyRabbiera
September 23rd, 2009, 09:25 PM

Soft Skills are the Soylent Green of skills - they're people! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_skills)

One can understand the confusion though as soft is sometimes short for software, but meh.

LowSky
September 23rd, 2009, 09:47 PM

yeah um... I think I am still right as these people, have no interest in learning, think its my responsibility to do these things, and they all lack problem solving skills, as I am the one who does all this for them. So by your Wikipedia definition I'm the king of soft skills.

Random-penguin
September 24th, 2009, 12:19 AM

Ok I misunderstood the terminology! Hey I'm only human!

But I still think I made a valid point about our education systems. Lets face it if our minors are not being taught properly about the back ground of OS's and the fact that others exist; then that is a big failing of the education system. Also why should we be forced to use IE over other browsers so that our children/students can access externally the course work they are following????

Surely a valid point under this discussion.... even if you didn't make it originally!:)

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 24th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Just a few additions and comments.

A few general comments:
1) People need to be educated about what Linux is and what it is not.
2) People need to be educated about applications being written for a specific operating systyem.
3) People need to be educated about doing some analysis of their software needs before jumping into a different operating system , and expecting things not to change.

10: The “just works” mentality
They think it "just works" because they have not install Windows from scratch. Or, when they did it was from an OEM disk-set containing the drivers they needed. My wife needed Windows for some Tax software she used, so I had to installed Windows. The Laptop manufacturer forgot to include the driver for the internal wireless card. I didn't spend very much time trying to find the right driver before deciding to run Windows in a Virtual environment because I knew I didn't have to worry about hardware drivers when using Virtualization.

9: The “it worked in Windows” mentality
They also expect the same proprietary software to work with Linux. Some of the same people are angry because the application they bought for Windows 98 will not work with Windows Vista.

I get this from people at work when they are forced to switch from Window XP to Vista, or switch from one version of Microsoft Office to another.

7: The “We need the latest greatest software/hardware” mentality
Oh, hahaha, wait. When Ubuntu 9.10 is released you will see posts about why isn't the latest version of XYZ included, or why did they choose to use an unstable Beta of the XYZ application.

I have this problem with some Linux distros. I tried a few distros, and think some of them SUCK, like Linpus.

3: The “Oh my god where am I?” mentality
Actually I still sort of have this one :D
I have had this problem as well when switching distros. A LAMP stack for example doesn't install everything in the same path depending on the distro you are using.

2: The “What the flying @#% is this thing” mentality
That happens to me when switching between distros. Like, what the @#% is Leafpad anyway. When I and looking for gedit or Kwrite.

1: “Where the @#$%^ is the Blue E” Mentality
Actually, I don't see that very much any more.

:lolflag::lolflag:

mkendall
September 24th, 2009, 02:38 AM

Is a choice made in ignorance truly a choice?

Tristam Green
September 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Is a choice made in ignorance truly a choice?

Is a choice being forced by an outside party a choice?

"You can have freedom, as long as it's the kind we say you have."