PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to disable screensaver

el_kolo
September 23rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
HI,

I removed screensaver (apt-get remove screensaver) from my system but it still works. I want to completelly disable this function. Also, I configured properly power mangment but it doesn't help. How can do this? Maybe this black screen is not a screensaver. Maybe ubuntu turns off monitor after a while? Everything in configuration seem to be ok.
Please help.

bruno9779
September 23rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
The blank screen is the default screensaver.
You can switch it off in Preferences>appearance
On the screensaver tab you have options for the behavior of the screen when idle.

one is a bar that lets you decide idle time, and a tick box to enable screensaver when idle

el_kolo
September 23rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
In don't have screensaver tab in Apperance;/

bruno9779
September 23rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
You are right.
How about a screensaver entry in Preferences?

I am writing from a M$ computer and am going only by memory, but if you don't have a screensaver entry in preferences, than you may have to reinstall screensaver package

etnlIcarus
September 23rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
sudo aptitude remove gnome-screensaver xscreensaver xscreensaver-data

If these aren't installed, you shouldn't get any screensavers popping up.

That said, power management is a different issue. If you uninstall or disable any of the power management tools, the xserver will automatically put itself to, "sleep", after around 20 minutes. You need to have gnome-power-manager installed, running in the background and properly configured to prevent your monitor from going to sleep.

That said, letting it go to sleep after a certain period of inactivity is a sensible thing to do.

el_kolo
September 23rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
sudo aptitude remove gnome-screensaver xscreensaver xscreensaver-dataIf these aren't installed, you shouldn't get any screensavers popping up.

I removed this packages. I have also gnome-power-manager and it didn't work properly.

I have found resolution here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-screensaver/+bug/46575

Best way to fix this problem is to add ServerFlags section to xorg.conf.

Thanks for your interest!