PDA

View Full Version : So...i think i have a sweet idea...

Slug71
September 23rd, 2009, 05:49 AM
Every Ubuntu release always has a lot of talk regarding themes and their colours.

We all know Orange/Brown has become associated with Ubuntu.

So why not alternate the themes back and forth between .04 and .10 releases for some 'change' yet keeping it roots.

C/P: Ever since i saw this one, i really liked it.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Karmic/Boot?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=mrdoob_madsrh_2.jpg

and figured that would be an awesome theme to go with for .04 releases. It has the Brown in it and since .04 releases are around spring time, the purple makes it a little bloomy.

Then for .10 releases have a Orange and Black theme.
.10 releases are in the Fall and right around Halloween which make those colours perfect and the Orange is in there.

This way both the Orange and Brown is used but theyre just separated by release.

And no other Distro does this.

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/6401/image/1/ (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/6401/)
Solution #22

schauerlich
September 23rd, 2009, 06:04 AM
Alternating the theme means alternating the branding. Changing a brand every 6 months isn't good.

earthpigg
September 23rd, 2009, 06:21 AM
i like.

.04 brown/purple
.10 orange/black

keep LTS in orange/brown, though. that is our equivelant of an "Enterprise" release.

continue to change the up-splash gradually, and leave the official Ubuntu logo static.

essentially, go ahead and change the gnome theme for fun -- but keep all other branding the same as it is now.

hoppipolla
September 23rd, 2009, 06:33 AM
Yeah I think I might agree with EDavidBurg, it just might get a bit much. It would make it feel more... alive and evolving, but this is probably best done more gradually than twice a year!

I do think the theme needs a bit of an overhaul in some way though ...

LoloftheRings
September 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Sounds like a good idea, I actually like the orange/brown themes, unlike many others. It's just a characteristic of Ubuntu and it should stay this way. Blue, green and grey are way too standard.

Exodist
September 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
As the human theme colors are a definitive color scheme for Ubuntu. I would like to see some alternate color themes shipped on CD. But keep the Human Theme as default.

Many companies may want to have the desktops color more reflective of companies branding scheme as well. Not to mention the human theme honestly feels dull after a while of using it. At least some more nature backdrops would suffice for now.

fuzzyk.k
September 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
I would like to see an alternating trend to break the monotony of a single theme ,but i agree the the LTS should remain retain the human look

Slug71
September 23rd, 2009, 02:34 PM
Alternating the theme means alternating the branding. Changing a brand every 6 months isn't good.

Well sorta but it will still have Orange and Brown in each release which are both associated with Ubuntu. They will just be seperated by releases and have another colour to compliment them.

I think earthpigg had a good point too by keeping LTS releases Orange and Brown.

TwiceOver
September 23rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Whatever gets us closer to a more professional look.

It takes all too much out of box to make Ubuntu look good. I thought Karmic was going to be the fix for that, guess not.

BrokenKingpin
September 23rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
I think they should get away from the brown all together. As other have mentioned I think it should move towards a more professional theme (blue maybe). I know some people like the brown, but I don’t think the majority of people. I know about 10 people who use Ubuntu… and only one of them leave the default theme (and that is just out of pure laziness). I realize this is a very small sampling, but still valid :)

hoppipolla
September 23rd, 2009, 05:49 PM
I think they should get away from the brown all together. As other have mentioned I think it should move towards a more professional theme (blue maybe). I know some people like the brown, but I don’t think the majority of people. I know about 10 people who use Ubuntu… and only one of them leave the default theme (and that is just out of pure laziness). I realize this is a very small sampling, but still valid :)

I can never make my mind up about the default scheme. A while back I used to love it, I found it kinda... calming and nice to use :)

I even tried to get KDE looking like it!

But now... my desktop is a nice blue!

cdwillis
September 25th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I don't know about alternating between themes for each release, but I do know I want a theme that matches the image you linked created by Mr Doob. I really like the background colors and the shape along with the shade of grey on the content box.

Khakilang
September 25th, 2009, 08:09 AM
As long it work. I don't care what color and theme.

BrokenKingpin
September 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM
As long it work. I don't care what color and theme.
I generally agree. I just think since Ubuntu is gaining in popularity and is now being shipped with computers (Dell for example), it should look more professional out of the box.