PDA

View Full Version : Working in Python

Goveynetcom
September 23rd, 2009, 05:31 AM
Well, as I got my Ubuntu system I saw this thing called Python. And I was like "What is that?", just kidding when I started to learn C++ I had heard that Python was an easy to use and flexible programming language. Now that it's there I wanted to learn how to use. Where can a Python Noob learn to program well? I'm not totally brain dead when it comes to programming, but I'm no expert either. I'm just a begginer. What is a great place for learning Python and that has many projects that I can do to help me learn?

BloGTK
September 23rd, 2009, 05:35 AM
I recommend Dive Into Python (http://diveintopython.org), which does a good job of introducing the language.

Goveynetcom
September 23rd, 2009, 05:45 AM
Wow, looks great! Thanks, you guys are really helpful.

StunnerAlpha
September 23rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Sometimes looking at source code for some simple pthon scripts can help when you have a good grasp of python(intermediate). It has really helped me with my python scripts. Check out sourceforge for a good place to view sourcecode as well as getting involved in a project.

alzaf
September 23rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
If I can add my humble opinion, the best way is to dive in at the deep end and learn as you go along.

I'm still learning Python because I am continually improving scripts that I use frequently for manipulating my mp3 music collection (one that transcodes from flac to mp3 format and one that has a GUI which displays a GUI and displays my collection in various formats like by genre or number of times copied so I can select it and copy it over to mp3 player)

If there is a small program that you use on a regular basis, you may want to try and duplicate it using Python. The benefit apart from learning the language is that you can make your program more customisable to suit your requirements.

Whatever way you choose to go, good luck!!

A_Fiachra
September 23rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
The good news is that Python is seriously increasing in popularity and, if you are really good at it, it might land you a job at Google -- since they happen to love the language.