PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome 3 - Browser

Shibblet
September 23rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
It's just been released for Windows. Where is the Linux version?!?!

SunnyRabbiera
September 23rd, 2009, 01:17 AM

It wont come out I dont think, screw Chrome anyway.

wojox
September 23rd, 2009, 01:20 AM
Probably run it through wine. Firefox still rocks.

-grubby
September 23rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
chromium-browser in the Ubuntu repos I believe.

coldReactive
September 23rd, 2009, 01:30 AM
chromium-browser in the Ubuntu repos I believe.

It won't be version 3 though. Searching for chromium in the ubuntu repos ( http://packages.ubuntu.com/ ) results in a side-scroller action/shooter game. Where according to you, it should also turn up the chromium browser package.

You should get the unstable package from here: http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

cdwillis
September 23rd, 2009, 01:38 AM
The package is indeed chromium-browser. I added the PPA and have been using it for months. It's great and has pretty much replaced firefox on my system.

Bölvağur
September 23rd, 2009, 01:50 AM
The package is indeed chromium-browser. I added the PPA and have been using it for months. It's great and has pretty much replaced firefox on my system.

be warned that even though chromium is great (using it right now) there are still some things missing.
The only two things that are keeping me from using it all the time is that when I try to download big files the download stops before it has finished and also because the quake live plugin doesnt work on it (perhaps it does if I fake to be on ff3.0)

NormanFLinux
September 23rd, 2009, 01:54 AM
I downloaded the final version. It is just me or is Chrome another Webkit/Mozilla clone?

Shibblet
September 23rd, 2009, 01:57 AM

Chromium Browser, or Google Chrome Browser. I know they are similar, but what's the difference?

dcunited
September 23rd, 2009, 02:06 AM
Take a look at http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

phrostbyte
September 23rd, 2009, 02:22 AM
I downloaded the final version. It is just me or is Chrome another Webkit/Mozilla clone?

It uses Webkit, so it's not a "clone" of it. :)

-grubby
September 23rd, 2009, 02:27 AM
It won't be version 3 though. Searching for chromium in the ubuntu repos ( http://packages.ubuntu.com/ ) results in a side-scroller action/shooter game. Where according to you, it should also turn up the chromium browser package.

Oh, right. Well, there's a PPA somewhere.

Regenweald
September 23rd, 2009, 02:42 AM
Oh, right. Well, there's a PPA somewhere.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chromium-daily

in case you need it
:)

phrostbyte
September 23rd, 2009, 02:49 AM
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chromium-daily

in case you need it
:)

Wow that's a new command. Is there a apt:// equivalent for that?

Mr. Picklesworth
September 23rd, 2009, 02:50 AM
be warned that even though chromium is great (using it right now) there are still some things missing.
The only two things that are keeping me from using it all the time is that when I try to download big files the download stops before it has finished and also because the quake live plugin doesnt work on it (perhaps it does if I fake to be on ff3.0)

Printing has finally been implemented, and plugins are enabled by default now. I think it's pretty well on par with the Windows version now. (With some Linux-specific tweaks, such as opening a new tab with the selected text when you middle click on the New Tab button... and use of GNOME's proxy settings instead of reinventing the wheel).

I should point out, for that matter, that Chromium does way less reinventing the wheel on Linux than Firefox does, in the spots where it matters. It really shows in performance and smoothness.

As for Chromium vs. Chrome... Chrome is basically Chromium packaged with branding, where Chromium is a project being maintained by Google. This is just like how Mozilla has an unbranded Firefox (Shiretoko for 3.5) and ships the branded Firefox with a pretty icon for final releases.

hoppipolla
September 23rd, 2009, 03:07 AM
I much prefer it to Firefox as well :)

And I dunno, Chromium is certainly very good, I'm not sure how it compares to Chrome 3 for Windows...

coldReactive
September 23rd, 2009, 03:12 AM
I much prefer it to Firefox as well :)

And I dunno, Chromium is certainly very good, I'm not sure how it compares to Chrome 3 for Windows...

Chromium from the dev-channel is currently version 4, lol.

hoppipolla
September 23rd, 2009, 03:41 AM
Chromium from the dev-channel is currently version 4, lol.

lol how does that compare though? i mean surely they don't mean quite the same thing?

So far though, development niggles aside, I have actually preferred Chrome/ium for Linux. :)

Regenweald
September 23rd, 2009, 03:47 AM
Wow that's a new command. Is there a apt:// equivalent for that?

I'm honestly not sure ;) sorry man..

marchwarden
September 23rd, 2009, 12:11 PM

Same here, no deal breakers for me yet.

andras artois
September 23rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
Until it gets adblock, undo closed tab and a download statusbar then it is not for me. Apart from that I really like it and it's really fast.

coldReactive
September 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
Until it gets adblock, undo closed tab and a download statusbar then it is not for me. Apart from that I really like it and it's really fast.

I'd take NoScript over adblock anyday due to the fact DeviantART has issues with adblock.

joey-elijah
September 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM

it HAS 2 adblocking extensions already! abblock+ and adsweep.

http://www.chromeplugins.org/google/chrome-plugins/adblock-7523.html

and if you use the easylist subscription normally in firefox then this one comes preconfigured with it: -

http://ruzanow.ru/extensions/beta/adblock.crx

[.crx is ChRome eXtension file type. E.G. Firefox uses .xpi, chrome uses .crx]

ALSO

i don't know what version of Google Chrome the OP is using, but the official Google Chrome Linux Beta is using 4.0.211.2.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8674/screenshot022.png

Roberticus
September 23rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
undo closed tab
Umm, New Tab and then below: Recently closed?

and a download statusbar
The green ring that goes around the icon?

Mr. Picklesworth
September 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM

And the other two features exist if you actually use it for a minute. No, it isn't a Firefox clone.

You can get a list of closed tabs, windows, and tabs from other windows from the new tab page. (It's on the bottom).

There is no status bar, since the feature is entirely useless in a web browser (or anything, really). When it is actually being used for something other than saying "Done" (about 2% of the time, maybe) a little bubble appears at the bottom. Ongoing downloads, blocked popups and such things appear in the same fashion.
Granted, the pane for ongoing downloads is pretty huge, but it can be dismissed happily and it is there, on the bottom (where a status bar would be in a lesser application), straight out of the box. You can also open the Download manager in a tab. (Ohboy, tabs!).

The History view works really well, too. You can search the contents of visited pages (instead of just titles and urls). It's instantaneous to open and to output results.

It's not that I think you need to use Chromium or Chrome, but actually looking at the thing you are writing about would go a long way.

denver
September 23rd, 2009, 04:24 PM

Crap man! You took the EXACT words out of my mouth! Freaky stuff! :D

Bölvağur
September 23rd, 2009, 04:25 PM
undo closed tab and a download statusbar
for reopening closed tabs right click on the titlebar and select Reopen Closed Tabs
and the statusbar has always been there since I started using chromium 2 months ago. You also have a page to see what is being downloaded and the process of it.

pwnst*r
September 23rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
It wont come out I dont think, screw Chrome anyway.

wow. google must have upset you.

Shibblet
September 23rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
Does anyone know when Google Chrome is going to be released? Non-Beta?

MJWitter
September 24th, 2009, 02:04 AM
It took Gmail about 5 years to come out of beta, so I wouldn't hold my breath..

Shibblet
September 24th, 2009, 02:40 AM

My breath is held because it's already in version 3 for Windows.

hoppipolla
September 24th, 2009, 02:52 AM
My breath is held because it's already in version 3 for Windows.

Yeah I don't think it will be too long either. Although Chromium still has a lil bit of bug-fixing to be done :)

HappinessNow
September 24th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the update alert but it appears I have the latest Google Chrome already: 3.0.195.21

Best Web Browser to date in a Windows environment.

hoppipolla
September 24th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the update alert but it appears I have the latest Google Chrome already: 3.0.195.21

Best Web Browser to date in a Windows environment.

I don't understand - do you mean you have the latest Chrome running on Linux? o.O

HappinessNow
September 24th, 2009, 05:45 AM
i don't understand - do you mean you have the latest chrome running on linux? O.o

best web browser to date in a windows environment.

xp

hoppipolla
September 24th, 2009, 05:46 AM
xp

But wasn't he talking about the Linux version?

And actually, incidentally, I prefer Chrome(ium) under Linux to under Windows :)

pwnst*r
September 24th, 2009, 06:16 AM

sucks to be the best web based email app

pwnst*r
September 24th, 2009, 06:18 AM

And actually, incidentally, I prefer Chrome(ium) under Linux to under Windows :)

i don't.

hoppipolla
September 24th, 2009, 06:26 AM
i don't.

Why? ._.

I find it faster, more attractive and smoother ._.

I also think the Speed Dial looks much better!

Although of course there was a little gap when I didn't use Chrome (maybe a month or so) so I guess the Windows version could have improved in the meantime! :)

pwnst*r
September 24th, 2009, 06:30 AM
it's not any of those under ubuntu for me. maybe i need to upgrade my *nix version, but my windows version is much better.

HappinessNow
September 24th, 2009, 07:03 AM

I don't think a Linux version of Google Chrome 3 is available yet?

Khakilang
September 24th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Chormium browser downloaded from Ubuntu repo. Currently a beta version. But I had as a second option just in case my firefox crash.

coldReactive
September 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM
from Ubuntu repo

*cough cough*

ursus262
September 26th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I am using Chrome 4 for Ubuntu. It is astonishing fast. I've never seen anything like it before. I also use Opera 10, which is also fast, but not as fast as Chrome. Pages load instantly. The only thing it doesn't have is a windows media codec for playing windows media streaming files. I guess that will come in time though.

hoppipolla
September 26th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I am using Chrome 4 for Ubuntu. It is astonishing fast. I've never seen anything like it before. I also use Opera 10, which is also fast, but not as fast as Chrome. Pages load instantly. The only thing it doesn't have is a windows media codec for playing windows media streaming files. I guess that will come in time though.

I think, to alleviate confusion preemptively, you mean Chromium not Chrome :)

Shibblet
September 26th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I think, to alleviate confusion preemptively, you mean Chromium not Chrome :)

I know you were talking to someone else, but I am going to interject.

I mean Chrome. Hence the title of the thread.

Google Chrome is supposedly releasing their browser for Linux. When is the question.

ursus262
September 26th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Sorry chaps. Just to make it clear, I was talking about Google Chrome v4, which has recently been released. The Ubuntu download, also inserts the repository into your sources file so that it will update automatically whenever a new development is incorporated.

hoppipolla
September 26th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I know you were talking to someone else, but I am going to interject.

I mean Chrome. Hence the title of the thread.

Google Chrome is supposedly releasing their browser for Linux. When is the question.

Yes but he doesn't use Chrome for Linux. He is using Chromium for Linux :)

hoppipolla
September 26th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Sorry chaps. Just to make it clear, I was talking about Google Chrome v4, which has recently been released. The Ubuntu download, also inserts the repository into your sources file so that it will update automatically whenever a new development is incorporated.

Serious!? But I thought it was still in this development stage O.O

Where do I download Google Chrome for Ubuntu from then? o.O

ursus262
September 26th, 2009, 12:28 AM
And it can be downloaded here:

http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

And this does, actually download Google Chrome and install the repositories

hoppipolla
September 26th, 2009, 12:32 AM

Awesome thank you!

So which is better at the moment on Linux - Chrome or Chromium? O.O

hoppipolla
September 26th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I'm on Chrome! I'm on Chrome! ^_^

Thank you ursus262 - I stand very much corrected! :)

EDIT -- Ok I'm back on Chromium now as Chrome wouldn't sign in to Twitter ._. lol

I'm sure it will soon, they're just development releases so they're not gonna be perfect are they? :)

doorknob60
September 26th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Screw version 3, I'm running 4.0.219.3 According to my Worpress useragent plugin :P http://doorknob60.is-a-geek.org/wordpress/?p=3#comments (Yeah, that means the Chromium versions do correspond to the Chrome versions to some extent)

chriskin
September 26th, 2009, 01:39 AM

excuse me? i'm on version 4.0.213.1

also, i remove a comment i have made before, chrome is better than chromium
if nothing else is to be checked, chrome can display pictures when clicking on UF's thumbnails - chromium can't

Regenweald
September 26th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Chrome is a snapshot of chromium at any point further developed for speed and stability for general public release. If you are using the chromium nightly ppa then you are ahead of chrome. Having installed Chrome3 on a friends laptop recently and using 4.0.219.3 on my machine, I can say that the experience is basically the same. I'm no V8 engine expert so I can't talk on that.

chriskin
September 26th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Chrome is a snapshot of chromium at any point further developed for speed and stability for general public release. If you are using the chromium nightly ppa then you are ahead of chrome. Having installed Chrome3 on a friends laptop recently and using 4.0.219.3 on my machine, I can say that the experience is basically the same. I'm no V8 engine expert so I can't talk on that.

what about clicking on thumbnails on ubuntu forums? or editing posts? chromium just hangs there for me

chriskin
September 26th, 2009, 01:47 AM
double post

hoppipolla
September 26th, 2009, 02:03 AM
what about clicking on thumbnails on ubuntu forums? or editing posts? chromium just hangs there for me

Can you sign into Twitter on Chrome for Linux? I can't ._.

And yeah I'm aware you may not use Twitter lol... I wish there was a way to test this o.O

chriskin
September 26th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Can you sign into Twitter on Chrome for Linux? I can't ._.

And yeah I'm aware you may not use Twitter lol... I wish there was a way to test this o.O

i have a twitter account even though i never sign into it
let me check :)

edit : yep, google chrome signed into it without any problem at all

hoppipolla
September 26th, 2009, 02:19 AM
i have a twitter account even though i never sign into it
let me check :)

edit : yep, google chrome signed into it without any problem at all

STRANGE..

I'll try again at some point later on :)

Regenweald
September 26th, 2009, 03:51 AM

Me also, still have to open editing In a new tab, have not tested thumbnails yet, but flash support is way better. Opened some thumbnails over on Haiku's site flawlessly so it may be site related. Not sure though.

Shibblet
September 26th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Okay, so Google Chrome is in version 4 for Linux? Why does it still have problems then? Or are we talking about Chromium? Geez, this is confusing.

vishzilla
September 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Chrome:Chromium :: Firefox:Minefield

Chromium you get more bleeding edge via their daily builds, while Chrome is updated after every significant stable Chromium build.

Chromium is in version 4 in Linux.

Oh yea, I am using Chromium right now as my default browser. I miss my Fx extensions atm but who cares, Speed is bliss. :D

cb951303
September 26th, 2009, 12:44 PM
also AFAIK chrome is not open source. they take the chromium source, add branding and some other stuff (bookmark sync?) and hen release it as chrome.

btw I've just tried chromium and it's really in good shape. i might switch to it as my main browser before firefox gives me brain cancer.

chriskin
September 26th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Chrome:Chromium :: Firefox:Minefield

Chromium you get more bleeding edge via their daily builds, while Chrome is updated after every significant stable Chromium build.

Chromium is in version 4 in Linux.

Oh yea, I am using Chromium right now as my default browser. I miss my Fx extensions atm but who cares, Speed is bliss. :D

you can find some rather nice extensions for chrome or chromium as well from here
http://www.chromeplugins.org/google/chrome-plugins/chrome-extensions-bookmarklets-userscripts-compilation-7510.html

coldReactive
September 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
you can find some rather nice extensions for chrome or chromium as well from here
http://www.chromeplugins.org/google/chrome-plugins/chrome-extensions-bookmarklets-userscripts-compilation-7510.html

Would rather have NoScript than AdBlock, Adsweep or Flashblock

Shibblet
September 27th, 2009, 01:32 AM

Looks like that did it. Download the deb package, and it adds the repositories itself.

It is version 4 also.