PDA

View Full Version : Why I should become more aggressive in my "no use of Apple

billdotson
September 23rd, 2009, 12:31 AM
"no use of Apple products" policy. Not only does Apple appear excessively "hip" and arrogant to me, they also don't care if their ipods kill people.

Hello, I recently saw an interesting article aobut Apple.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article6736587.ece

The link I have provided describes Apple, Inc. trying to gag a family from disclosing the details on a legal agreement proposed by Apple. The father was using his daughter's ipod and all of a sudden it started hissing and exploded. Apple said they would give the money back only if they signed an agreement that was similar to a gag order (about the agreement and the exploding ipod presumably). This is criminal. This type of information should be reported on national news. Whatever happened to Apple's 1984 commercial? It seems like they are "the man" now doesn't it? Another case of big corporations caring more about public image and money than the safety of people (their own customers no less). If he had thought that was normal for some strange reason Hello, I recently saw an interesting article aobut Apple.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article6736587.ece

The link I have provided describes Apple, Inc. trying to gag a family from disclosing the details on a legal agreement proposed by Apple. The father was using his daughter's ipod and all of a sudden it started hissing and exploded. Apple said they would give the money back only if they signed an agreement that was similar to a gag order (about the agreement and the exploding ipod presumably). This is criminal. This type of information should be reported on national news. Whatever happened to Apple's 1984 commercial? It seems like they are "the man" now doesn't it? Another case of big corporations caring more about public image and money than the safety of people (their own customers no less). If he had thought that was normal for some strange reason and had kept it in his hand it could have killed him.

Hopefully that man is in the process of suing Apple right now for gross negligence.and had kept it in his hand it could have killed him.

Hopefully that man is in the process of suing Apple right now for gross negligence.

JillSwift
September 23rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
I have to wonder how one iPod going pop is equal to gross negligence?
Also, where's the body count? Apple doesn't have to care if their iPods kill people if their iPods DON'T kill people.

The gag order stuff is pretty typical, and this kind of FUD is why.

gletob
September 23rd, 2009, 12:59 AM
"no use of Apple products" policy. Not only does Apple appear excessively "hip" and arrogant to me, they also don't care if their ipods kill people.

Hello, I recently saw an interesting article aobut Apple.

The link I have provided describes Apple, Inc. trying to gag a family from disclosing the details on a legal agreement proposed by Apple. The father was using his daughter's ipod and all of a sudden it started hissing and exploded. Apple said they would give the money back only if they signed an agreement that was similar to a gag order (about the agreement and the exploding ipod presumably). This is criminal. This type of information should be reported on national news. Whatever happened to Apple's 1984 commercial? It seems like they are "the man" now doesn't it? Another case of big corporations caring more about public image and money than the safety of people (their own customers no less). If he had thought that was normal for some strange reason and had kept it in his hand it could have killed him.

Hopefully that man is in the process of suing Apple right now for gross negligence.and had kept it in his hand it could have killed him.

It wasn't a gag order. Many standard legal documents have confidentiality agreements, and furthermore this was an isolated incident. I'm sure that if all the old Ipod's were blowing up then the CPSC or it UK/European equivalent would take action. Plus we don't know all the facts; what's to say that the Ipod wasn't mistreated or left in a hot car all day? Plus many lithium ion/polymer batteries have issues, the manufacturing process can never be 100 % perfect.

Are you saying that if you were at the head of a Multi Billion dollar corporation you could handle all that pressure and not screw up? You've got to think about stock holder's, consumers, etc. etc.

EDIT: Personally I don't really like Apple products either, but this incident was blown way out of proportion. I love my Ipod Touch but hate the fact that you need Itunes for Music. And I wouldn't buy Apple hardware due to it's ridiculous mark up. If it wasn't for their pricing they might have a 20 - 30% market share right now.

dasunst3r
September 23rd, 2009, 01:11 AM
My reasons for refusing to buy anything Apple are (in order of priority):
1. Alternatives that provide more ___ (computing power/bang) for the money exist.
2. I prefer to be able to service my own equipment.
3. I refuse to accept artificial limitations on my device just because someone else wants control in some form or fashion and/or wants to make money off of me. I paid for the device, and I should be allowed to exploit its capabilities so long as I do not harm others and/or deprive others of their rightfully-purchased access to resources. Anybody who tells me otherwise just to make an extra buck out of me can **** off.

hanzomon4
September 23rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
Man some people here are fanatics.. Wow, really? You know that you're just spewing hate when you claim that a company is killing babies ..or is a nazi. To hip!? Why is it wrong to be hip?

@dasunst3r: Don't eat that taste burger

RiceMonster
September 23rd, 2009, 01:30 AM
Seriously, what's with the Apple bashing threads lately? They're starting to get worse than the Microsoft bashing threads.

Mateo
September 23rd, 2009, 01:40 AM
Seriously, what's with the Apple bashing threads lately? They're starting to get worse than the Microsoft bashing threads.

That's because they are a more aggressive anti-consumer company than Microsoft.

NormanFLinux
September 23rd, 2009, 01:59 AM
Apple is infamous for abandoning soon to be orphan hardware such as the PPC computer.

misfitpierce
September 23rd, 2009, 02:04 AM
That's really messed up and another reason I ditched my macbook intel and left windows... Hate microsoft and apple.

MC707
September 23rd, 2009, 02:17 AM
I have to wonder how one iPod going pop is equal to gross negligence?
Also, where's the body count? Apple doesn't have to care if their iPods kill people if their iPods DON'T kill people.

The gag order stuff is pretty typical, and this kind of FUD is why.

There doesn't need to be a body count. As long as there is a danger that the thing blow up and leave you handicapped in any way or even just harm you, the public has the right to know what the heck is going on in the background. There are laws that protect consumers. Thus, do you have to wait 'till there be victims to 'wake up'?

Personally I don't really like Apple products either, .... I love my Ipod Touch

Talk about irony :confused: :-k

tubezninja
September 23rd, 2009, 02:33 AM
they also don't care if their ipods kill people.

Citation needed. Please cite an instance where an iPod has killed someone.

Until then, I jut see this as a convenient excuse to justify a largely unjustifiable hatred towards a corporation, merely for the sake of hating a corporation.

ChrT
September 23rd, 2009, 02:42 AM

Mitchell Henderson.

Dr. C
September 23rd, 2009, 02:55 AM

Until then, I jut see this as a convenient excuse to justify a largely unjustifiable hatred towards a corporation, merely for the sake of hating a corporation.

There are many examples of iPod related deaths http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1541987/iPod-oblivion-set-to-become-illegal-in-New-York.html; however this is not just an Apple problem it can also happen with an mp3 player or an ogg player.

By the way Apple has earned the wrath of many with their DRM lock-down and use of DRM to block iPhone applications that are not sold by Apple among other things. Apple is far more closed down and propriety in many situations than even Microsoft.

toupeiro
September 23rd, 2009, 03:06 AM
Apple pretty much designs their products with the mindset of making money above and beyond the component you are interested in itself. Come on, iPhones not supporting removable batteries or MicroSD. really?? I have to buy a whole new iPhone to store 1GB more information than the internal amount?

I don't use apple because they have an attitude of "our way or no way." with 3rd party software developers, platforms, and other business partners. Look how many apps get yanked from itunes store simply because they compete, and are better, than apple apps. It seems to me that if apple cared about another products download count that competes with theirs, they should strive to make it better, not blackball the competitor from the market. It also took me almost 4 years to clean up the mess an early version of iTunes made of my hand tagged and sorted mp3 library after it got finished renaming and moving everything to nonsensical names in nonsensical folders. Sure the issue is fixed now in new versions of iTunes, but that didn't save me from all the work their software created.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike apple. I don't hate them. Hate takes too much energy, but they've definitely earned my dislike.

ticopelp
September 23rd, 2009, 03:18 AM
Whatever works for you, I guess.

pwnst*r
September 23rd, 2009, 03:20 AM
just because of this thread i'm going to sync my iphone while ordering an 8GB itouch for my little brother's birthday.

thanks for the inspiration!

JillSwift
September 23rd, 2009, 03:22 AM
There doesn't need to be a body count. As long as there is a danger that the thing blow up and leave you handicapped in any way or even just harm you, the public has the right to know what the heck is going on in the background. There are laws that protect consumers. Thus, do you have to wait 'till there be victims to 'wake up'?
Of course there has to be a body count, because if no one is dead, then Apple can't "not care that their iPods kill people". Jeez.

This was one battery out of how many? Did you know that this is a chance you take with any battery? OMG RECALL!

Caveat emptor.

MC707
September 23rd, 2009, 03:28 AM
Of course there has to be a body count, because if no one is dead, then Apple can't "not care that their iPods kill people". Jeez.
I was not pointing out they need to care about killed people. I am pointing out they need to care about people getting their hands blown!

This was one battery out of how many? Did you know that this is a chance you take with any battery? OMG RECALL!

Caveat emptor.
The chances you get the lottery are just as dim. But people still win lotteries.

MC707
September 23rd, 2009, 03:37 AM
Apple pretty much designs their products with the mindset of making money above and beyond the component you are interested in itself. Come on, iPhones not supporting removable batteries or MicroSD. really?? I have to buy a whole new iPhone to store 1GB more information than the internal amount?

I don't use apple because they have an attitude of "our way or no way." with 3rd party software developers, platforms, and other business partners. Look how many apps get yanked from itunes store simply because they compete, and are better, than apple apps. It seems to me that if apple cared about another products download count that competes with theirs, they should strive to make it better, not blackball the competitor from the market. It also took me almost 4 years to clean up the mess an early version of iTunes made of my hand tagged and sorted mp3 library after it got finished renaming and moving everything to nonsensical names in nonsensical folders. Sure the issue is fixed now in new versions of iTunes, but that didn't save me from all the work their software created.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike apple. I don't hate them. Hate takes too much energy, but they've definitely earned my dislike.
Definitely. I for once, have committed the error of buying music from their music store. And just like Microsoft and Sony, they care about me doing what THEY WANT me to do with the merchandise, rather what I WANT TO DO with my OWN PRIVATE PROPERTY. I no longer use itunes because I both use linux and because I despise their way of marketing. And guess what? I CANNOT HEAR MY OWN DAMN MUSIC BECAUSE I DON'T USE ITUNES. The default media player in Ubuntu can't decrypt locked songs (aka apple-bought music). And I can only wonder if those songs will play in my iPod if I install either IpodLinux or Rockbox in it.

JillSwift
September 23rd, 2009, 03:43 AM
I was not pointing out they need to care about killed people. I am pointing out they need to care about people getting their hands blown! They do care. They were willing to give the family what they wanted. They just didn't want the subject of one bad batter being blown way the hell out of proportion like it is in this thread.

Who can blame 'em?

The chances you get the lottery are just as dim. But people still win lotteries.
What part of "Caveat emptor" don't you understand?

RiceMonster
September 23rd, 2009, 03:45 AM

Likely the "Caveat emptor" part.

MC707
September 23rd, 2009, 03:45 AM
They do care. They were willing to give the family what they wanted. They just didn't want the subject of one bad batter being blown way the hell out of proportion like it is in this thread.

Who can blame 'em?
Yeah.

None. Just as you probably don't understand what consumer protection and freedom of speech is, so I'll drop the matter before you begin a flamewar. :-#

tubezninja
September 23rd, 2009, 03:50 AM
Mitchell Henderson.

Okay, cite an instance where the iPod user was NOT An Hero. :D

There are many examples of iPod related deaths http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-New-York.html;

That's Darwin at work, not Apple. Though I can see where you might get those two confused.

By the way Apple has earned the wrath of many with their DRM lock-down

Ahhh here we go. thank you for admitting that "death and destruction" has nothing to do with with the real issue here. Having an agenda to pursue is one thing. Hiding it straw-man arguments however, really weakens your credibility.

and use of DRM to block iPhone applications that are not sold by Apple among other things. Apple is far more closed down and propriety in many situations than even Microsoft

JillSwift
September 23rd, 2009, 03:53 AM
None. You probably don't understand what consumer protection and freedom of speech is, so I'll drop the matter before you begin a flamewar. :-#
Oh oh oh! It's a gambit!

Consumer protection: Preventing companies from committing torts and crimes against their customer base.

Apple had done neither in this case. These batteries carry risk inherent in their production, consumers have already been made aware of the risk.

Freedom of speech: The right to speak your mind without having the government silence you.

Agreeing to keep quiet about an incident is not oppression of speech. It's a business deal. One the family involved refused without repercussion. Looks like their freedom of speech is unmolested.

Mateo
September 23rd, 2009, 03:55 AM
Definitely. I for once, have committed the error of buying music from their music store. And just like Microsoft and Sony, they care about me doing what THEY WANT me to do with the merchandise, rather what I WANT TO DO with my OWN PRIVATE PROPERTY. I no longer use itunes because I both use linux and because I despise their way of marketing. And guess what? I CANNOT HEAR MY OWN DAMN MUSIC BECAUSE I DON'T USE ITUNES. The default media player in Ubuntu can't decrypt locked songs (aka apple-bought music). And I can only wonder if those songs will play in my iPod if I install either IpodLinux or Rockbox in it.

Apple doesn't believe you own your iPod or the songs you buy, you are merely leasing the right to use them, on their terms.

KiwiNZ
September 23rd, 2009, 04:08 AM
Deja vu

I am closing this before it burns the entire site . Our batteries maybe Apple