PDA

View Full Version : C# ProcessStartInfo problem.

dchurch24
September 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
Hi all,

I have the following C# code (mono):

public void start_proc(String SongPath)

{

SongPath = SongPath.Replace("*","");//.Replace ("/","\/");
SongPath = SongPath.Substring (4,SongPath.Length-4);

System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo psi = new System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo("vlc", SongPath);

psi.RedirectStandardOutput = true;

psi.WindowStyle = System.Diagnostics.ProcessWindowStyle.Hidden;

psi.UseShellExecute = false;

System.Diagnostics.Process proc;

proc = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(psi);

System.IO.StreamReader myOutput = proc.StandardOutput;

proc.WaitForExit();

replytoclient();

}

It runs fine, apart from when I send the command:

*vlc -I ncurses \'/home/dave/Music/Catatonia/Catatonia - Karaoke Queen.mp3\' vlc:quit*

I know. I don't like Catatonia much either, but I didn't realise that C# wouldn't.

If I take out everything after 'ncurses' it shells VLC perfectly.

If I leave it in there, I get.

VLC media player 0.8.6e Janus
Error opening terminal: unknown.

I've tried escaping the ' and the / but nothing seems to work.

I can copy the line and execute it from the terminal, and sure enough VLC starts using ncurses and plays the specified song.

directhex
September 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Try *NOT* escaping anything. escaping is for shell expansion, and you're not in a shell

doas777
September 22nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
in C# on windows, it is usually recomended to proceed path strings with @ to tell it to escape the symbolic characters, but as DirectHex pointed out, you are just crafting a command, so give it to the interpreter exactly as though you had typed it by hand.

I really hate spaces in file names. who thought that would be a good Idea?

dchurch24
September 23rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
I know what you mean about spaces!

However, in this instance, it seems that VLC doesn't like being shelled with the 'ncurses'. I took that out, and it plays the song fine.

So...I figured, I'd just run it 'hidden' or at least 'minimised', but it ignores the psi.WindowStyle = System.Diagnostics.ProcessWindowStyle.Hidden;
line for some reason.

So...for the time being I thought I'd just make my app full-screen and always-on-top. I've got the always-on=-top bit working, but I can't seem to make the gtk window fullscreen by default.

Any ideas?

PS. I must confess, this is becoming a very confusing project to work on. I have a windows front-end written in VB.net that sends a command to the c# (mono - Linux) listener, (then turns into a listener itself), that plays a song, waits for it to finish, then sends a command back to the VB program to tell it to send the path to another song to start playing, all the while telling a USB 8-way relay which speakers to turn on so I can use my touch screen to press a 'room' (well, flat style button actually) and have the music play in that room. Flipping between similar languages like that is starting to hurt my brain!

dchurch24
September 23rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Try *NOT* escaping anything. escaping is for shell expansion, and you're not in a shell

Yes. Good call. I did realise that, and the only reason the escape chars are there is because I was clutching as straws at this point. I've tried it like it is above, with escape chars before each /, without any at all, etc... but none of those work.

If I take out the ncurses param. and pass the path of the song in a String rather than through the IP listener, then it works.

It's odd, as the String is the same regardless of how I send it.!??

directhex
September 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Thinking about it...

the ncurses UI is going to want a controlling terminal, as NCurses requires a PTY to draw into. When you're passing that flag to make it use ncurses, it tries and fails to get a controlling terminal (since it's not running in one)

Does "dummy" instead work?

dchurch24
September 24th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Ooh, not sure. I'll give that a try when I get home. Thanks.

However, I have changed it to re-write it to a String object, then I start the process with that argument, and viola! It plays!

The only thing is that it's still showing a 'normal' window. I will try Dummy later.