PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of a broken elevator

anaconda
September 22nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
About a week ago I got stuck in an elevator between 2 floors. After about 10mins I succeeded to open the door and I got out. Opening the door didn't require much force and I didn't use any tools. (The repairman got there about an hour later)

Now I am asked to pay almost 500€ because apparently some wire in the door jumped of its track when it was opened, and that is how much repairs amounted to. (changing the wire)

What do you guys think.
Should I really have waited an hour, when there was an easy way out?
Should I pay?
Or
should I get paid to?

Am I the victim or the bad guy here?

What do you think? would you pay?

And would you have waited an unknown time?

kernelhaxor
September 22nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
What would you have done if the elevator dropped suddenly right when you were getting out? If it were me, I would have waited for my own safety.

I feel asking you to pay is not justified.

A year back at work, I was stuck in an elevator for 3 hours. It took them so long because it was after business hours and the lift operator didn't have a key to the building.

anaconda
September 22nd, 2009, 06:55 PM
What would you have done if the elevator dropped suddenly right when you were getting out? If it were me, I would have waited for my own safety.

well... if the elevator is dropping I wouldn't want to be on it. And after getting the door open I did go out pretty fast.

Plus the "Elevator out of order" light was on, so I don't think it was going to move anywhere.

I feel asking you to pay is not justified.

Me too.
And I think I wont pay. Maybe I shall tell them that there were a couple of other guys there and one of them opened it... or something. I don't like lying, but having to pay, would just be so wrong ;(

A year back at work, I was stuck in an elevator for 3 hours. It took them so long because it was after business hours and the lift operator didn't have a key to the building.

3 hours huh! I would have gone nuts. And you waited.

Well if I had waited they wouldn't be asking any money now....

Bölvaður
September 22nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
I would not pay.
This is fairly low amount of money so they would probably be unable to drag you to court for it anyway. Even if they would do that you probably wouldn't be found guilty of damaging their property as it was broken and you were just saving your self.

If you live in a lame country where people might really go after the money you should tell them to hop it. If they still continue I wouldn't know what to do other than ignoring them. Violence in this situation is very stupid..... as I prefer leaving no witnesses behind :lolflag: (yes this is a joke, and I do find it funny.... look at the LoL sign guy... it's funny) and 500€ doesn't justify three hour long trip into the wilderness.

Icehuck
September 22nd, 2009, 07:24 PM
I would sue them because you are claustrophobic and they need to pay for your therapy sessions after getting stuck in the elevator.

JillSwift
September 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
I think it's pretty cheeky of them to charge you.

Send them a bill for "750€ Minus the cost of repairs, for my costs of aggravation, anxiety, and generally being interfered with by your shoddy bloody lift."

dragos240
September 22nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
I think you did the right thing. You shouldn't have to pay. Find a way out of it.

bodyharvester
September 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
I think it's pretty cheeky of them to charge you.

Send them a bill for "750€ Minus the cost of repairs, for my costs of aggravation, anxiety, and generally being interfered with by your shoddy bloody lift."

i would try that idea myself were i in the same situation, its like the guy paying with a picture of a seven legged spider, its funny and i love it

The Real Dave
September 22nd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Asking you to pay for repairs is ridiclious. Their lift broke, which caused you to have to force your way out. If nothing was wrong with the lift, you wouldn't have had to do what you did. Therefore, its their fault. I don't it would actually stand up in any reasonable court like, and anyway, the cost of bringing you to court would be a lot more than 500Euro.

haemulon
September 22nd, 2009, 07:56 PM
I hate elevators and usually manage to avoid them.

I wouldn't pay them 1 cent.

You wanted to get out, that's very understandable.

It's not as if you were just being destructive to their property.

Things break or malfunction, and need to get repaired. Why are they looking for someone to pin the bill on? shameful really.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 23rd, 2009, 01:19 AM

In many countries, elevators in buildings with more than two floors have a braking system to stop them from falling. Sometimes the braking system activates for some reason, which is one reason the elevator can get "stuck" in the first place. How many times have you read about elevators falling in real life? You see elevators dropping in a movie or on television. One of my summer jobs, when in high school, was to place 60 lead blocks weighing 50 pounds each into an elevator. That is 3000 pounds. Then the elevator company's engineer would cause the elevator to drop. The braking system was supposed to activate and stop the elevator within a certain number of meters/feet. I don't remember how far that was; however, it was a short distance.

What do you guys think.
Should I really have waited an hour, when there was an easy way out?
Should I pay?

I wouldn't pay. If they threatened to take me to court, I would tell them I would counter sue them. In my opinion, if all you did was use your hands to slide open the door, then you wouldn't have caused damage to the elevator if it was properly designed. For example, elevator doors usually have sensors in the doors that cause them to open. How many times have you put your hand in the door to keep it open for someone else to board the elevator?

I think 10 minutes was a short time to wait; however, if the elevator didn't have a communication device, or if no one answered your request for help, then I can't imagine anyone determining that you are liable for damages even if you used some sort of tool to open the doors. Based on the short period you waited, I don't think you should expect compensation. I would only use that counter suit as a method to convince them not to expect the 500€.

MoebusNet
September 23rd, 2009, 02:28 AM
Now I am asked to pay almost 500€ because apparently some wire in the door jumped of its track when it was opened, and that is how much repairs amounted to. (changing the wire)

It sounds as though the elevator suffered from a faulty design or faulty workmanship; it is not reasonable for the company to assume that _no one_ would ever need to open the elevator doors during a malfunction. I'm positive there are safety regulations for that elevator that describe the requirements the elevator must meet to be allowed to operate; opening the doors during a malfunction must surely be addressed there.

3rdalbum
September 23rd, 2009, 02:44 AM
I'd tell them that the wire broke while the elevator was in motion, and that this caused the elevator to stop.

In actuality, I'd just ignore them. They'll go away.