PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need some help!

zking
September 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
I set up a dual-boot with Vista and Ubuntu on my computer.

When I restart my computer, it gives me options, to boot into Vista, or boot into Ubuntu.

Ubuntu seems like the primary O.S. If I don't do anything within 10 seconds on the boot menu, it automatically starts up Ubuntu.

I don't want this. I want Vista to be the primary O.S, and I want my computer to boot into Vista automatically within 10 seconds on the boot menu if I don't do anything, instead of Ubuntu.

Can I do this? How?

Thanks,

oldos2er
September 22nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Install the package startupmanager which will allow you to choose a default OS, among other things.

snowpine
September 22nd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Or, edit your menu.lst file:

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Look for the line that says something like:

default 0

Change the number to whichever row Vista appears at on the menu, starting your counting from 0. In other words, if Vista is the 4th item on your grub menu:

default 3

Save the changes and reboot.

zking
September 22nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
Or, edit your menu.lst file:

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lstLook for the line that says something like:

default 0Change the number to whichever row Vista appears at on the menu, starting your counting from 0. In other words, if Vista is the 4th item on your grub menu:

default 3Save the changes and reboot.

This worked perfectly. Thanks! :)

presence1960
September 22nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
This worked perfectly. Thanks! :)

Just be aware that when you upgrade Ubuntu's kernel you are going to have to edit that default # in menu.lst as Vista will move further down in the order as the new kernels are placed up top.