PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to installing

Arthurspooner
September 22nd, 2009, 04:01 AM
Hello All,

I made a copy of the Ubuntu on a CD like it said to do and then I tried to boot up, as it boots up the line under the Ubuntu logo stops right under the second "u" in 'Ubuntu'. The CD stops spinning and nothing goes on, the computer just stops, any help???

presence1960
September 22nd, 2009, 04:17 AM
did you MD5SUM (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) the iso you used to make the Live CD? The hashes must match exactly or the iso is no good!

Did you burn the iso as an image to CD at a slow speed (4x-8x is good)?
When you boot the Live CD did you choose "check disk for defects"?

Take a look at these for starters. Also your computer's specs would be helpful to us.

nekoteck
September 22nd, 2009, 04:46 AM
Ugh,I used to have this problem when i first started using Ubuntu... If i had any advice It would be

Just order a live CD... It's free but takes awhile to get to your door... (What a noob answer XD)

dE_logics
September 22nd, 2009, 05:09 AM
Post your hardware configuration.

Only if we could see what Ubuntu is doing behind that good looking logo...

Arthurspooner
September 23rd, 2009, 01:22 AM
I burned the disk at 4x speed, the MD5SUM directions are hard to read but working on that now. "Check disk for defects", I have never seen such an option.

System Model: MXP061
Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM)2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Current Display Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32bit) (60Hz)

Is my computer not qualified with these specs?

Arthurspooner
September 23rd, 2009, 01:33 AM
Ok, I checked the MD5SUM, and it says they are the same, but every time I close it and do it again to make sure its the same it changes all over again. So I dont know how to check it and keep them the same. I am very new to Ubuntu so I dont know anything, I need to be walked through this process so sorry for asking too many questions.

Arthurspooner
September 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
My problem is still not solved what do I do now?????