PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new PC box with no operating system on it question

mjp29
September 22nd, 2009, 03:56 AM
Now that I have considered my options I would like to know how much money one can save if they buy a PC box (no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse) that also does not have any operating system on it.

I am leaning toward buying an HP box, but am still undecided - just want a good pc box at the best price (so please suggest other manufacturers that you think are good i should consider).

I researched this probably about 6 months ago or a year ago and it appeared to me that there wasn't much difference in price between buying a pc box that had Microsoft Windows pre-installed and buying one that had nothing on it (or had any version of lynix on it). I think when I researched this there was like a $20 difference, so at the time back then I thought there wasn't an incredible reason to search out non pre-installed Microsoft pc boxes because it wasn't going to save me enough money even though I was going to wipe out Microsoft Windows completely and fully install Ubuntu on it. I have been a Mac user for over 10 years and have not needed anything from microsoft (other than office for mac which now openoffice for ubuntu will take care of that for sure in my opinion).

so to make a long story short, what good new pc box (without keyboard, mouse, monitor) would forum members here (yourself) suggest? if the cost is to buy one that has windows is like $20 or so that does not bother me since i'll be wiping windows out completely. for some reason i am leaning toward an hp box either way as my retired uncle keeps buying hp because he believes hp has hardware installed in their boxes manufactured to their specifications (by the way he does not like dell or gateway).

Bucky Ball
September 22nd, 2009, 03:59 AM
I prefer to build my own. Not that hard and you can have just what you want (and save money).

Check out the link in my signature if you want to know more. :)

bowens44
September 22nd, 2009, 04:01 AM
I would suggest that you build your own to suit your needs. I have been building my own PCs for 15 years or so. It's not difficult and it's certainly less expensive.

Ms_Angel_D
September 22nd, 2009, 04:02 AM
I bought THIS ONE (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4899881&csid=ITD&body=MAIN) about a month ago and it's been perfect. I've installed Vista, Ubuntu and Kubuntu on it and it worked great every time. I'm running Kubuntu on it now. The only thing I added to it was an Nvidia 7600 GS that I already owned.

Ubuntu/Kubuntu Worked out of the box the only driver I installed was the Nvidia Driver.

Systemax rig's seem to have great reviews with Linux I've seen others say the same.

theozzlives
September 22nd, 2009, 04:03 AM
I'd recommend building your own. If you lack the skills, have a reputable computer store throw one together for ya. I don't like brand name computers (to proprietary).

Warren Watts
September 22nd, 2009, 04:03 AM
I would suggest that you build your own to suit your needs. I have been building my own PCs for 15 years or so. It's not difficult and it's certainly less expensive.

Not only that, but you get to customize your PC so it includes exactly the hardware you want for the application(s) you want to run on it.

mjp29
September 22nd, 2009, 04:04 AM
I prefer to build my own. Not that hard and you can have just what you want (and save money).

thanks so much for your reply

but i don't want to build one my own (don't have the time i use to have with a 4 year old and a 6 year old in the house - some here know what i'm saying and can appreciate that).

i just want to take it the easy way and get a box from one manufacturer that is a good box but also at a good price. I should add that I am willing to pay up to or around $400 for a box.

solitaire
September 22nd, 2009, 04:05 AM
2 most expensive things on a computer package is the Windows OS and the Screen.

Easy to get the PC with no monitor but hard got get it without an OS (unless you buy something a Dell server which usually come OS free as an option) >_<

You usually have but the PC+OS then decline the EULA and ask the company for a refund for the cost of the OS (that's if they won't sell you an OS free PC).

best way is to build your own.... might not be cheaper (depending on the specs..) but it's a LOT less hassle! ^_^

Radioman991
September 22nd, 2009, 04:05 AM
My 0.02

I have never owned an HP, but we have them at work, running Windows, so I cannot vouch for HP.

My Dell lappy, and desktop at home, as well as my dad's and father in law's Dell desktops worked flawlessly with Ubuntu. In fact, you can get a Dell with Ubuntu pre-loaded.

The biggest issue is going to be hardware compatibility, such as video cards.

The only annoying issue I ever had, was the Dell lappy I have, wireless would not work until 8.10. All subsequent versions, the wireless worked out of the box.

YMMV

Radioman991...currently using my Acer Netbook, which almost worked out of the box, just a few tweaks.

ovid9
September 22nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
This aging Dell Optiplex GX260 loaded 8.04 right up and all I've done is add RAM, so Dell gets a +1 in my book.

Edit: I even booted the liveCD on my wife's Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop. It crawled, but it worked, so, again, Dell worked.

I'm working on building my own, but since you don't have time for that, check out Tigerdirect or NewEgg for prebuilt systems like Ms_Angel_D said.

A third option, if you have a local computer store, stop by and ask what it would run for them to build a machine for you. It'd be more than doing it yourself, but you could probably get a nice upgradeable system for a decent price.

Best of luck!

Poking around on the Dell site (not the simplest to navigate) if you look at this page, the one on the left might work for you. It appears they come with Vista, but if you poke around some more than I have you could probably find a way to get it without.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops_great_deals/fs.aspx?refid=desktops_great_deals&s=dhs&cs=19

mjp29
September 22nd, 2009, 04:15 AM

Thanks so much for your reply.

However, I prefer to just buy one from a reputable manufacturer (HP, IBM, etc...) as I don't have the time to build one myself and there are too many unknown variables to buying a built one to my needs from a word of mouth reliable local shop (did they really use new hardware, how long may they stay in business to warranty my purchase, etc...).

But again, thanks so much for your reply. I should add that I am willing at this time to pay up to or around $400 for a new box from a well known manufacturer. What/ where would you suggest now you know more about my needs.

Thank again for your reply.

oldsoundguy
September 22nd, 2009, 04:16 AM
another vote for building your own. That way you can go to the hardware compatibility area and pick the cards with the highest Linux satisfaction!

Then you KNOW if you create a Windows partition or run it in VM, it will run!

Chunk of hard earned advice .. one thing you do NOT want to scrimp on is the POWER SUPPLY. There are very GOOD ones, a tad more for the wallet, but beats the cheap crap by a mile as to stability and HEAT, NOISE and RATED OUTPUT.

And spend some time on Google looking at how your choices are rated before you shell out your hard earned cash!

solitaire
September 22nd, 2009, 04:18 AM
+1 for Dell as well!!

I got a 6+ year old Laptop which despite having a p4 2ghz CPU has a blooooody bigger screen than my current laptop! (dell is 1400 x 1200 & current HP is 1200 x 800) pity it only got 16Mb Graphics on it! so it's a great little server! lol!!!

presence1960
September 22nd, 2009, 04:23 AM

+1

will never buy a prebuilt machine as long as I can see well enough. Can customize the hardware just the way you want it without HP (or whomever you buy from) tacking on extra $$$ on top of the cost of the hardware.

eddietours
September 22nd, 2009, 04:26 AM
why not a system 76 there great

mjp29
[QUOTE=solitaire;7987176]2 most expensive things on a computer package is the Windows OS and the Screen.

From my experience from researching this (about 6 months ago) is that yes the monitor is expensive but buying one with Microsoft Windows pre-installed is not one of the more expensive things when buying a box. Apparently, Microsoft has so much leverage on computer manufacturers that the very few computer manufacturers that will sell you a box without windows only costs an individual a few dollars (around $20 or less) if they ship you a box that doesn't have microsoft windows on it. It probably all comes down to volume (because an individual would probably pay a lot more than around $20 to buy microsoft windows straight up).

ovid9
Chunk of hard earned advice .. one thing you do NOT want to scrimp on is the POWER SUPPLY. There are very GOOD ones, a tad more for the wallet, but beats the cheap crap by a mile as to stability and HEAT, NOISE and RATED OUTPUT.

Another option could be buy a cheap Dell and then save up to buy a nicer power supply for it a few months down the line.

That's what I'm doing in the interim as I'm leery of trusting the at least 6year old OE 250w PSU.

QIII
September 22nd, 2009, 04:27 AM
If you really don't want to build one, go to www.geeks.com or similar.

You can often get a refurbished, debranded (but originally name brand) computer for very reasonable prices without an OS.

If it doesn't come with a monitor, the same can be said for monitors.

They sell refurbished monitors that meet the OEM's same QA standards with regard to dead pixels (something like a max total of 8?).

Many metro areas have "charity" computer shops that will sell systems they put together from parts they glean from deceased computers that are donated to them. That doesn't necessarily mean "old", because someone may bring in a computer with a fried motherboard and a good processor, and the next person may bring in a computer with a fried processor and a good motherboard.

Some of those outfits will make deals even sweeter if you volunteer or donate.

presence1960
September 22nd, 2009, 04:28 AM
another vote for building your own. That way you can go to the hardware compatibility area and pick the cards with the highest Linux satisfaction!

Then you KNOW if you create a Windows partition or run it in VM, it will run!

And spend some time on Google looking at how your choices are rated before you shell out your hard earned cash!

The power supply is the most important piece of hardware in your machine! It is after all the thing that sends juice to all your hardware so they can run. Those cheap PSU have major up and down spikes in the power sent out. That will damage or fry your hardware, at the very least it will decrease the life span of your hardware. Spend some extra $$ on the power supply.

mjp29
September 22nd, 2009, 04:31 AM
so Dell i back on my good list. My Uncle doesn't like Dell but my wife and I have always thought the company was favorable.

So, for a Dell, how much does one pay (or save) by buying just the box or getting one without windows (or getting one with ubuntu preinstalled).

again, will pay around $400

ovid9
September 22nd, 2009, 04:33 AM
http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops_great_deals/fs.aspx?refid=desktops_great_deals&s=dhs&cs=19

Accidentally editted this into my first page post.
The Inspiron 546 on the left looks like it might work for you. You should be able to poke around and find something that fits.

mjp29
September 22nd, 2009, 04:41 AM
why not a system 76 there great

what is a system 76?

tom957
September 22nd, 2009, 04:44 AM
They're preloaded ubuntu machines. It's a cool idea if you don't want to mess with finding the right hardware.

mjp29
September 22nd, 2009, 04:48 AM
They're preloaded ubuntu machines. It's a cool idea if you don't want to mess with finding the right hardware.

are you referring to the 76 system? If so what is the 76 system ... if not what box are you referring to

doorknob60
September 22nd, 2009, 05:47 AM
http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=80

?

EDIT: Didn't see the previous replies, I guess this one fits well to your last question, nice coincidence :D This one looks nice, although I'd upgrade the CPU to a Core 2 Duo and maybe get 2 GB RAM. It would still be quite a bit cheaper to build though, and really, it only takes an hour or two to get everything put together. (as in completely put together, including at least starting the OS installation) With the new Athlon II X4's out for $99, I could really get you a nice build for the ~$400 range.

Here:

Motherboard + CPU: $134.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.262206
Case + PSU: $39.99 (I have this, works well, including the PSU) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147010
4 GB RAM: $54.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148111
500 GB Hard Drive: $56.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073
DVD Writer: $27.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151187

All that for $314.95, leaving you plenty of room to buy a better graphics card, a better power supply (if you wanted), and anything else you might want. That's a much better deal than the System76 or the Dells I saw linked in here. If it interests you the integrated graphics in that motherboard even has HDMI, it's ATI, but whatever it was a combo deal that I couldn't refuse :P And of course you can buy a dedicated card. Again, putting together a computer is very striaghtforward, especially with new parts like this, and really it won't take long, and I think it's very much worth it, because usually OEM stuff has limitations (like an HP mobo I had from a like 3 years ago had no PCIe or even AGP...meh. Or sometimes cases have weird proprietary connecters that only work with their own motherboards.), but with custom builds it's much easier to upgrade and whatnot.

Exodist
September 22nd, 2009, 06:16 AM

but i don't want to build one my own (don't have the time i use to have with a 4 year old and a 6 year old in the house - some here know what i'm saying and can appreciate that).

i just want to take it the easy way and get a box from one manufacturer that is a good box but also at a good price. I should add that I am willing to pay up to or around $400 for a box.

Only takes 30mins to build up a PC. 15mins of that is taking everything out of the box. Just throw some soft towels on the kitchen table to keep from scratching the table with the case and throw it together. My 4 year old daughter loves to watch me build up computers, she even helps by handing me parts..

If your actually just little nervous about putting a PC together for the first time, dont be. They are super easy and just about 110% idiot proof.
Not to mention if its your first it very self rewarding to know its "yours".