PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What happens when I update my Kernel specifically?

jessiebrownjr
September 22nd, 2009, 02:37 AM
Hey guys, I was curious what happens when you update your kernel? Do you lose all of your settings now and it becomes like another OS install, or does it just upgrade the 'engine' and you still keep your installed apps etc?

If this is posted somewhere else, sorry, and please link that site :p Thanks in advance!

stlsaint
September 22nd, 2009, 02:45 AM
no you wont lose your apps by updating kernel tho it is not recommended unless you fully understand what you are doing.
this should help a lil on Kernel (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel).

jessiebrownjr
September 22nd, 2009, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I updated the kernel on my desktop earlier successfully to see how easy it was, and it seemed too easy to believe. Catch is, I had no settings to over write, was a clean install :-)

stlsaint
September 22nd, 2009, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I updated the kernel on my desktop earlier successfully to see how easy it was, and it seemed too easy to believe. Catch is, I had no settings to over write, was a clean install :-)

congrats

jessiebrownjr
September 22nd, 2009, 03:17 AM
congrats

Hello fellow Texan, enjoying the rain ? :-)

So basically its a new compilation of drivers and software etc? I guess I was looking for a lower level definition of what the kernel was. I guess its in my nature to break working things and then re-fix them lol.