PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Networking with virtual windows

andreasen
September 22nd, 2009, 02:34 AM
I've been using Xandros for years but I'm getting tired of waiting for an update. It's like waiting for somebody to invent guns when you're still using a bow and arrow. In any case Xandros just wasn't hacking it with some of the new things that are coming out. I finally went looking for something a little more up-to-date and settled on ubuntu 9.04 about a month ago which so far I like very much. My problem is networking. I've installed VMware with Ubuntu as the Host and Windows XP as the guest using a bridged network. In Windows I created a small home office network using HOME as the group name and no domain name. Now I go to Ubuntu and I get lost. The drives on my computer cannot be shared. However, folders can be shared so I've set up several folders as shared; however they don't show up in windows on the network. I know I'm overlooking something simple, but what. I'm not a networking guru and need help. Can somebody please help me to get my networking to the point that I can use it? Also is there some way to share complete disks? In particular, I use one disk as a data disk and it would be so much more convenient to have just one share for that disk rather than five or ten for the individual folders on that disk. Thanks.

Once I changed the Group name in Windows to "WORKGROUP" the shares from UBUNTU showed up in the Windows network. However, even though they showed up I cannot access them for any purpose, reading or editting. I indicated when I set the shares up in UBUNTU to give everybody access. Why isn't that access carried over into Windows?