PDA

View Full Version : Why Ubuntu has so less built in applications?

sbasak
February 8th, 2006, 06:12 PM
:-k Recently I used both Ubuntu & Knoppix. I was quite surprised to find out that Knoppix offers so many applications where as Ubuntu comes with very few.

Well, I don't say that one should have 10 word processors and 5 spreadsheets, but Ubuntu should offer MP3 support etc. out of the box.

Brunellus
February 8th, 2006, 06:15 PM
please consult the RestrictedFormats wikipage for the reasons why ubuntu can't include mp3 format out of the box.

I'll save you the trouble: they can't, because it is illegal to do so in many jurisdictions.

Ubuntu is very much a single-cd distro, so the 'everything and the kitchen sink' package selection method won't do--there's not much space. They pick their apps, and go with them.

granite230
February 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM
yeah and I like to pick my applications myself. I don't mind installing them myself. That way I have the applications I want without uninstalling the unwanted applications Ubuntu installed for me. You only have to do it once.

Wide
February 8th, 2006, 06:27 PM
A minimal install then add what you need is the way to go.

I personally dont want anything on my systems that is not needed ;)

fuscia
February 8th, 2006, 07:10 PM
the more stuff loaded, the more i have to get rid of. if i'm not mistaken, knoppix is a live cd, isn't it? if so, it makes sense to load it up with stuff for people to try.

wrtpeeps
February 8th, 2006, 08:14 PM
i would rather keep ubuntu as it is, rather than having to download/order multiple cds!

Piggah
February 8th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I was pretty happy with the programs it came with really. There wasn't a bunch that loaded it down, but enough to get me started as a beginner. I like to be able to pick and choose at what I want, rather than just have tons of useless programs. (useless to me at least.)

Plus, I never really liked having to have a big CD set. That's one thing that always drove me crazy when I used Fedora. Having to keep track of 5 CDs (including rescue) was tough. :P

I love it how it is. :D

Master Shake
February 8th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I'll say one thing about the multi-CD Mandrake Distro that I have (Version number forgotten. Its gotta be 4-5 years old) It came with several Linux books in PDF format on them... Teach Yourself Mandrake Linux in 24 Hours, TY Linux in 24 hours, Linux Hardware guide, and Practical Linux.

Pracitcal linux was pretty helpful.

commodore
February 8th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I think Ubuntu has too many applications installed by default.

Derek Djons
February 8th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Also I agree and support the condition of Ubuntu as it is now. After installation it takes me up to 20 minutes to add repositories, add applications, download & install them. But removing everything would take much longer since you'll be looking up names of those applications and check for troubles some applications can cause because they would or could be linked to other features.

It's also good that Ubuntu has a standard set. These applications are almost documented and troubleshooted up till 100% of all posibilities. So for beginner the easier to blend in or switch over.

aysiu
February 8th, 2006, 08:38 PM
A long while ago, Asa Dotzler wrote a nice little FUD article (http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/008499.html) basing his "Linux is not ready for the desktop" stance on Fedora. One of his main beefs is a lack of simplicity:
The third issue is a lack of simplicity. Just because you can include a feature doesn't mean that you should. Just because you can provide a user preference doesn't mean you should. I don't want to start a desktop war but I really gotta say to the distros, pick a desktop and be happy. Regular People shouldn't have to (guess or learn enough to) choose between Gnome and KDE when they're installing your product. Regular People don't need 15-20 mediocre games in a highly visible Games menu at the top of the Applications list. And what is a Regular Person to think when confronted with a choice between Helix Player, CD Player, and Music Player? Does the Music Player not understand CDs? What's "Helix" mean? Gedit has about 30 user preferences spread across 5 tabs in a preferences window -- Notepad has about three. You and I know that the difference between Settings and Preferences is that one is system wide and one is per-user but Regular People don't know that and shouldn't need to know that. If the Regular Person doesn't have access to it because it's a system wide setting, then why put that entire menu of options in front of him. If the Regular Person has equal access to both, then why are they split? It's just a confusing mess. That's part of the beauty of Ubuntu--simplicity. If you want the twenty different text editors in Knoppix, those can easily be installed through Synaptic Package Manager.

If you want codecs and such, follow basic instructions, use Automatix, or use Mepis, Blag, or PCLinuxOS.

xequence
February 8th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Plus, I never really liked having to have a big CD set. That's one thing that always drove me crazy when I used Fedora. Having to keep track of 5 CDs (including rescue) was tough. :P

I installed fedora with 2.

aysiu
February 8th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I installed fedora with 2. Blag's based off Fedora, has a ton of applications, and fits on one CD.

Perfect Storm
February 8th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Pretty happy as it is. Want more? Repo is the way.

midwinter
February 8th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I think there's too much installed by default, i'd much rather go with a server install then add from there. Only problem is, I don't think you can upgrade to the next release with this method (without having a *-desktop package).. bit limiting really..