PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Advent 8117 can't install OS

neilg4rqn
September 21st, 2009, 10:35 PM
Hi, I have aquired an Advent 8117 laptop without the recovery disk. I have tried to install Ubuntu 9.04 on it but I get an error which says "The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk" [ermo5] i/o error etc. I believe that there is something nasty in the BIOS on the 8117 that will not allow access to the HD by other than Advent software. Is there a way to release this and allow it to operate like any normal PC? or is it a bin job... BTW I realise it's probably a load of old poo but I don't like to throw away 'workable' things.
Neil R

stlsaint
September 22nd, 2009, 02:47 AM
if its fine with you...you can try formating the hdd first then try installing again...also make sure you dont have a corrupt iso download nor mis-burned cd. when burning the cd burn it at the slowest speed possible(4x)

neilg4rqn
September 22nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hi stlsaint. How I wish I could format the HD. I did try that through the vista instal disk and no luck, I cannot reach the HD although | can 'see' it with Ubuntu live. It appears that somewhere on the advent recovery disk if I had one would be the means to do something. It has been suggested I should turn off IHCA or something like that. The BIOS doesn't allow the user to do much.

neilg4rqn
October 31st, 2009, 05:12 PM
The problem hasn't been 'solved' as such but a work around is to use partition editor from boot and then install Ubuntu.

themanattheback
November 8th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Hi Neil

If your still having problems I have a restore disk and could send you a copy.

Secondly I have had many Linux flavours running on my Advent 8117 including Fedora, Ubuntu,Suzi and many different dual boots with no problems, so its more likly that your copy of Ubuntu is a lemon.

Just make sure you have the boot options set right.

Ps Mine has now passed on tripped the light fantastic expired, so if you need spares mail me.

Steve

neilg4rqn
November 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks themanattheback, I think I can reply via you profile or something so I will try that.