PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Icelandic acute accents

rannuG
September 21st, 2009, 09:11 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8014668#post8014668

Hello, I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and have a problem with acute accents (like , , , , , and ).

My keyboard has always worked well until recently when I started configuring the settings. After pressing 'Reset to defaults' in System>Preferences>Keyboard, the acute accent settings disabled themselves. I tried the Spanish keyboard layout but it didn't have acute accents either.
I haven't changed anything in layout options.
I'm using Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 keyboard.

Please respond if you know any possible answers.

Thanks.

LowSky
September 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingLanguages

rannuG
September 21st, 2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks, but that doesn't answer my keyboard issue.

SuaSwe
September 21st, 2009, 10:10 PM
Which language do you currently have configured in System -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layouts?

rannuG
September 21st, 2009, 10:13 PM
Icelandic. There are five variants: Iceland, Iceland Dvorak, Iceland eliminate dead keys, Iceland Macintosh and Iceland Sun dead keys. None of these seem to have acute accents.
I'm using the default Iceland.

SuaSwe
September 21st, 2009, 10:17 PM
I just tested it from here and I can't actually see where the acute accents are meant to be!

When typing in Windows, where on the keyboard would they be located?

rannuG
September 21st, 2009, 10:36 PM
On the Icelandic keyboard it would be the one with the "" and "^" buttons on it. It also used to work on Ubuntu.

corncob
September 21st, 2009, 10:43 PM
I'm using the United States keyboard and can do as well as other things . I set the compose key by going to System > Preferences > Keyboard > Layouts > Layout Options > Compose key. I selected the Left Win key but you have other choices. I then printed out the compose key sequences from http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/806-4743/6jdq6q2n7?a=view I seldom look at it though as the symbols I use seem quite intuitive: [Compose Key][~][n]=, [Compose]["][u]=. It doesn't matter in which order you put the characters in: is [Compose][e]['].

rannuG
September 24th, 2009, 06:23 PM
It would be very nice if I could reset it to the way it was. I could always press one specific button (on US keyboard it's the ':' button) and a vowel.

Any ideas?

corncob
September 25th, 2009, 12:25 AM
It would be very nice if I could reset it to the way it was. I could always press one specific button (on US keyboard it's the ':' button) and a vowel.

Any ideas?

Well, I have an idea but that's about all. I haven't gotten into it as the compose key sequences I described have been adequate for my uses -- but it sounds like the : key was set as the third level key although my keyboard layout options don't give me that as one of my choices. Here's an excerpt from the keyboard layouts help file. I haven't been there myself so let me know how you do:

A third level key allows you to obtain a third character from a key, in the same way that pressing Shift with a key produces a different character to pressing the key alone.

Use this group to select a key you want to act as a third level modifier key.

Pressing the third-level key and Shift produces a fourth character from a key.

The third and fourth level characters for your keyboard layout are shown in the Keyboard Indicator Layout View Window.

rannuG
September 25th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Sorry, I misread the US keyboard, it's the apostrophe button, not the : button. But I don't suppose it changes much.
The third level layout didn't help me with the acute accents.

By the way, I spoke to another Icelandic Ubuntu user about his keyboard settings, he didn't have anything selected in layout options. Maybe this will be fixed in Ubuntu 9.10.

ErikJanVens
November 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM
My Icelandic keyboard worked under 9.04 and previous Ubuntu's. Under 9.10 I can still switch between Icelandic and US keyboard with Alt-Shift.

Before I could enter diacritics under US keyboard with Left-Win, then diacritic, then vowel. Under Icelandic keyboard I pressed only diacritic and then vowel.

But since I upgraded to 9.10 it doesn't work anymore. I tried many options but I just cannot get it to work again.