PDA

View Full Version : My turn to rant about a PC shop.

suitedaces
September 21st, 2009, 06:44 PM
Just got back from Currys. Was helping my mate buy a netbook. Cheapest was 230, so I got him to ask if they had any linux ones that weren't on display. What followed was disgraceful. The woman actually looked horrified, and said "what on earth do you want that for?? It's completely no use, we call it the boomerang OS" etc. It was only my stammer that stopped me getting into a full scale argument with her, but she proceeded to inform us that it was no use if he wanted to use the internet, or msn, or office software. I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore linux user, I dual boot, and I could have taken "windows might be better suited to your needs" if she could back it up, but this was gross misrepresentation. She then called some fella over, and got him to back her up. He seemed reluctant, as began with "actually..." until she shot him a dirty look, then said "yeah, go with xp".

Personally, I have bought my last ever item from currys. Would there be any point lodging a formal complaint? Not only for the gross misrepresentation, (which must surely be worth mentioning to trading standards?) but for the fact she yelled across the shop to the other fella in an attempt to belittle me?

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Tristam Green
September 21st, 2009, 06:54 PM
It'd be worth reporting them over the unnecessary tongue-lashing you got, not for "gross misrepresentation". You asked a simple question, and it seems like she didn't respond professionally.

Of course, we're hearing the one side, so it's easy to side with you in this respect.

pookiebear
September 21st, 2009, 07:10 PM
thats why the internet is such a cool place to shop. No customer to saleperson interaction. For a lot of items interacting with salespeople makes the process an annoyance. At least you have choices now.

The salesperson in question did not educate you properly on linux as she was not educated on it either. BUT she did educate you on Curry's and now you know that it is a place you don't want to shop. You should send her a thank you letter for the education. With a explanation as to what she educated you on, cause I doubt she knew it at the time.

But I would rather buy something...then find out it was the wrong thing and return it. Rather than deal with salespeople.

Warpnow
September 21st, 2009, 07:13 PM
If it was an acer aspire one, she's right.

Linpus linux on those things is far worse than windows. They use custom packages but standard repos, meaning running any update through synaptic will brick them. An update will occur any time an application is installed, it seems. This means you cannot install applications without compiling them from source, as well as the dependencies, of course.

Quite a terrible operating system.

ChrT
September 21st, 2009, 07:23 PM

Linpus linux on those things is far worse than windows. They use custom packages but standard repos, meaning running any update through synaptic will brick them. An update will occur any time an application is installed, it seems. This means you cannot install applications without compiling them from source, as well as the dependencies, of course.

Wait, are you saying people keep the default GNU/Linux distros that came with their netbooks? I thought those things were just a placeholder as an excuse for "we can't be bothered to provide a real Free OS". Seriously, both the Eee xandros and acer's castrated Linpus are downright terrible. Anyone buying a GNU/Linux netbook should lob those distros off the drive and replace them with something that works as soon as possible - either a hardware-specific distro, or something generic that's known to work well on the particular machine.

Furthermore, I believe the hardware manufacturers who ship their stuff with GNU/Linux in this manner are hurting the Free Software community, on purpose. It's no wonder they're "complaining" about people returning the GNU/Linux netbooks, then bending over for Microsoft the next second. Microsoft's bribes and other criminal business practices may have had a part in this, but the fact remains the whole GNU/Linux netbook fiasco is a conspiracy by the hardware companies to drive down Microsoft's OEM pricing so they can sell their cheap hardware with cheap proprietary software.

What they fail to account for is that it's not the price that matters, it's freedom. I've bought two netbooks when they were selling them with GNU/Linux, I've never bought a single machine that came with proprietary software, and I don't intend to. The best course of action is to not buy any bundles with proprietary software, and complain loudly.

chriskin
September 21st, 2009, 07:26 PM

you probably don't know that linpus is NOT the only os made specifically for acer's aspire one

try linux4one, ubuntu tailored for that netbook

openfly
September 21st, 2009, 07:29 PM
Why do you expect someone working in, or owning, or otherwise acting as the purveyor of a PC shop to have any level of credible knowledge concerning their wares?

I'm pretty amazed that you find this to be out of the ordinary and worth mentioning.

chriskin
September 21st, 2009, 07:29 PM
Just got back from Currys. Was helping my mate buy a netbook. Cheapest was 230, so I got him to ask if they had any linux ones that weren't on display. What followed was disgraceful. The woman actually looked horrified, and said "what on earth do you want that for?? It's completely no use, we call it the boomerang OS" etc. It was only my stammer that stopped me getting into a full scale argument with her, but she proceeded to inform us that it was no use if he wanted to use the internet, or msn, or office software. I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore linux user, I dual boot, and I could have taken "windows might be better suited to your needs" if she could back it up, but this was gross misrepresentation. She then called some fella over, and got him to back her up. He seemed reluctant, as began with "actually..." until she shot him a dirty look, then said "yeah, go with xp".

Personally, I have bought my last ever item from currys. Would there be any point lodging a formal complaint? Not only for the gross misrepresentation, (which must surely be worth mentioning to trading standards?) but for the fact she yelled across the shop to the other fella in an attempt to belittle me?

how come and you don't buy something with nothing preinstalled? :) is it a greece-only thing, or do stuff come OS-less anywhere else as well?

ChrT
September 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM
how come and you don't buy something with nothing preinstalled? :) is it a greece-only thing, or do stuff come OS-less anywhere else as well?

There are hardware-only vendors where I live (EU), some even sell complete boxes and laptops, but I don't think anyone sells non-preinstalled netbooks, as most manufacturers install whatever OS they want to sell it with themselves.

Bachstelze
September 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM
No point in arguing... Just tell them "I want Linux, period, so just tell me what Linux netbooks you have or I'll go somewhere else."

Marlonsm
September 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM
It seems she took that "training" about Linux to Bestbuy, made by MS: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1261346

som24
September 21st, 2009, 08:03 PM
and i was thinking is possible only in india!

Exodist
September 21st, 2009, 08:08 PM

I would have made her feel the size of a maggot when I got done and made her do a formal apology.

ChrT
September 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM
I would have made her feel the size of a maggot when I got done and made her do a formal apology.

Not worth the time. He was probably just blurting out what the superiors brainwashed him, and even if it was his own opinion, he's unlikely to change it because of what he perceives as a disgruntled and annoying customer.

Vote with your wallet.

openfly
September 21st, 2009, 08:25 PM

Yeah, you're a real role model for linux advocates everywhere.

chriskin
September 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM

you would have gotten someone fired over his lack of knowledge or the instructions he got from the boss? :popcorn:

Exodist
September 21st, 2009, 08:28 PM
Not worth the time. He was probably just blurting out what the superiors brainwashed him, and even if it was his own opinion, he's unlikely to change it because of what he perceives as a disgruntled and annoying customer.

Vote with your wallet.

Redirecting someones belittlement upon you back to them is priceless though.
Besides I spent almost 7 years in the Navy, I can talk smack with ease when I have a reason to.

ChrT
September 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM
you would have gotten someone fired over his lack of knowledge or the instructions he got from the boss? :popcorn:

On the other hand, perhaps people getting fired for mistreating customers like this (and generally disrespecting GNU/Linux and Free Software) would raise the attention we're getting and change people's attitudes. If GNU/Linux were a commercial product, the producer could easily sue for slander.

earthpigg
September 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM
Vote with your wallet.

this.

chriskin
September 21st, 2009, 08:32 PM
On the other hand, perhaps people getting fired for mistreating customers like this (and generally disrespecting GNU/Linux and Free Software) would raise the attention we're getting and change people's attitudes. If GNU/Linux were a commercial product, the producer could easily sue for slander.

it is unethical to get someone fired
if you don't like their product go somewhere else, his/her family doesn't have to pay because you (by you i mean the customer, not you)felt gnu/linux was not considered the best choice.

Bachstelze
September 21st, 2009, 08:35 PM

http://www.fatcult.com/images/cartman-as-the-police-respect-my-authority1.jpg

Respect my GNU/Linux!

ChrT
September 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
if you don't like their product go somewhere else, his/her family doesn't have to pay because you (by you i mean the customer, not you)felt gnu/linux was not considered the best choice.

Advising the customer against a product you're supposed to be trying to sell is revolting enough (and worthy of the salesman losing their job)

What happened to the OP is nothing more than vile slander, and any punishment the salesman would have received would be just, even losing his job.

openfly
September 21st, 2009, 08:41 PM
Vile slander?

The sales rep offered a "professional opinion." Bases on the return rate and customer dis-satisfaction with linux... thus the boomerang os remark.

Is that really vile slander? Seems to me that's simply ad hoc market research that every sales rep does. It's also exactly the sort of information most consumers rely on for making purchases. If any linux.. ubunutu or otherwise is known around that shop for being a "boomerang" and coming back to the store, maybe there's a reason for that outside of the sales person being a penguin hating bigot?

I mean, really the vitriol you guys have towards this person seems incredibly misplaced.

Warpnow
September 21st, 2009, 08:42 PM
you probably don't know that linpus is NOT the only os made specifically for acer's aspire one

try linux4one, ubuntu tailored for that netbook

I know. I've tried linux4one, though I prefer Kuki Linux, which is also designed for the Acer Aspire One. I've got some tutorials up on the Kuki forum and used to hang around in that IRC channel like 12 hours a day, hehe. Xfce > UNR, in my opinion.

But unless you ALREADY use linux you prolly would never think of installing a different one. Amongst the pre-installed options, windows is better than Linpus, by far, for 90% of users. Its no wonder people return them. If I didn't know about other linux distros I prolly would have, too.

KiwiNZ
September 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
Boomerang devices was an accurate description for the early releases of the Netbooks with Linux installed.The assistant was no doubt speaking from experience.

They were pushed out there quickly by makers with little regard for who was going to use them and the knowledge base of the potential users. Unsuspecting customers purchased thinking they would be like Windows. Many retailer believed this to be the case to.

This did a lot of damage to linux. It was a clear case of premature market injection.

Ric_NYC
September 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM
Boomerang devices was an accurate description for the early releases of the Netbooks with Linux installed.The assistant was no doubt speaking from experience.

They were pushed out there quickly by makers with little regard for who was going to use them and the knowledge base of the potential users. Unsuspecting customers purchased thinking they would be like Windows. Many retailer believed this to be the case to.

This did a lot of damage to linux. It was a clear case of premature market injection.

That's one of the reasons I think we need a "Linux" seal of approval for the hardware running Linux.

Warpnow
September 21st, 2009, 08:53 PM
What we need is a true support system for limnux that functions similarily to windows. Online chat would be easiest, obviously, as we could get volunteers. We could also have all the volunteers on an IRC so they could help each other when one was stumped. Would be a very neat idea, I think, and people in High School/College could use it as volunteer experience. I'd do it for a 10-20 hours a week, and I think alot of other people would, too.

This support organization could then only support good versions of linux, and manufacturers who honor sets of rules about what you can and cannot do to linux computers (ie, locking out all software installation, or removing the terminal?), and could act as qualtiy control.

Edit: Eventually, though, we'd need some people on phones. Maybe we could make some kind of deal with a VOIP provider that supports linux?

murderslastcrow
September 21st, 2009, 09:08 PM
Yes, a formal support system would be nice.

However, although I openly offer my own tech support for Linux to my friends and family who now use it, after adding some codecs, flash, and simple compiz configuration manager, along with a fully upgraded Wine, there's nothing they ever have problems with. Even on upgrades, most of them have done fine with them (except for that Jaunty Intel EXA/UXA retardation on my parents' PC, but that was it).

When it comes to Linux problems, it's either trivial/non-issue or something really weird and obscure. XD

Still, I don't think the sales representative used Linux at all. I think it must have been her training to say that, but they should really be more tolerant and understanding, since it's not like we're going into stores taking Windows PCs off the shelves with our troll-hammers. XD

earthpigg
September 21st, 2009, 09:11 PM
That's one of the reasons I think we need a "Linux" seal of approval for the hardware running Linux.

http://www.linuxmark.org/

This is the official website of the Linux Mark Institute, exclusive licensor of the Linux trademark on behalf of its owner, Linus Torvalds.

if you really feel that way, maybe you should contact them :D

with Linus' approval, they would need to expand what they do, a bit... currently, all they really do is:

1) take requests to call something 'linux'.
2) verify that it is indeed 'linux', in the broadest acceptable sense possible.
3) issue trademark sub-license.

no actual quality control that i am aware of. toss a kernel on a stick of deodorant, get verification from them that the kernel does indeed reside on the stick of deodorant and BAM: "Old Spice Linux Deodorant"

Moop
September 21st, 2009, 09:22 PM
It was a clear case of premature market injection.

Isn't there a pill for that? :)

The Toxic Mite
September 21st, 2009, 10:17 PM
Isn't there a pill for that? :)

Err... is the pun intended or what???

¬_¬ lol

speedwell68
September 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM
I bought my Acer A150 from Currys, they were offering the best deal on the high street at the time. The sales guy urged me to buy the XP one and I said no I want the Linpus one. He was amazed at this, I explained that I knew how bad Linpus was, believe me it sucks. I simply explained that I would be replacing the OS for an Ubuntu derived OS when I got home. No problem. I don't take crap off computer sales people, what often puts them off arguing with me is going in wearing an Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings T shirt.:D

Mr. Picklesworth
September 21st, 2009, 11:50 PM
What we need is a true support system for limnux that functions similarily to windows. Online chat would be easiest, obviously, as we could get volunteers.

Of course, you're missing the fact that the major hardware manufacturers are stuffed full of incompetent Medusa-like software developers. Everything they look at breaks. Improving the operating system in the traditional sense is not going to help matters. (Look at Windows! The OS, if you get it on its own, is actually pretty functional. Throw in the bucket full of OEM crap and it is not. Thus, the flawed perception of Windows' out of the box experience by the public at large).

Linux, to the early netbook-buying public, was as bad as Windows (and less familiar) because it was filtered through the same horrific, bug-ridden alley of idiocy.

There is one way out of this: Somehow get Sony, Toshiba, etc. to put their names on the operating systems they twist out of proportion, so that people know who to talk to when their systems are unusable. (Maybe the free software community at large could do with adopting Mozilla's highly protective branding practices).
HP's Mii OS is an awesome step in this direction, especially since it actually does work well. Having a bit of responsibility for their own work seems to help.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 22nd, 2009, 01:20 AM
How Linux friendly a PC shop is does matter to me when choosing a PC store to patron.

There is a PC shop that I go to frequently. They sell parts for building your own rig, as well as, pre-built (Dell, Lenovo, HP, Sony, Toshiba, etc.) computers. Occasionally, they sell a custom built rig that someone built; however, couldn't pay their loan (they repossessed the hardware for non-payment). Some of those custom builds are really nice, and inexpensive.

They do not sell any pre-built computers with Linux on them.

I found an inexpensive laptop I wanted on their website. I didn't want to pay the shipping and handling cost; therefore, I went to the store. They didn't have what I wanted in stock at the time. The sales person offered to order it for me, and also offered to show me some other computers they did have in stock. I let the sales person show me what they had in stock. When the discussion came to what OS, XP or Vista, was loaded on it, I said, "I didn't care because I am going to install Linux on it anyway". The sales person said, "OK what Linux distro do you use". The sales person made no comments about removing Microsoft Windows voiding the warranty, and so on. The sales person was only asking about what Linux distro I used in order to enhance his own knowledge of what customers are using.

I decided to do some searching on the Internet for memory and hard drive upgrades for my laptop. It had a decent dual core Intel processor. So, I opted to upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 4GB, and the disk drive from 120GB to 500GB. That was a lot less expensive than a new laptop.

That experience has influenced my patronage of that store. I bought my last 3 computers from them. Including one of the returned custom built rigs. Never has any sales person in that store questioned my use of Linux. It also helps that they are one of the least expensive brick-n-mortar shops in the area.

marchwarden
September 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM

If I ever buy anything from Curry's or any electrical outlet, I try my hardest to avoid engaging with the sales people. I am well aware of the sales culture in these places and try to steer well away from it to avoid raising my blood pressure.

Swagman
September 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Does the OP realise that Currys/Dixons is just the Station Wagon version of Pc World ?

There's a reason DSGi is going down the pan

suitedaces
September 22nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Does the OP realise that Currys/Dixons is just the Station Wagon version of Pc World ?

There's a reason DSGi is going down the pan

I thought they were, checked it out last night. Must be a competition issue there surely?

stwschool
September 22nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
A couple of things.

1. Currys/PC World/Dixons are hopeless. It's very likely that any of us here can rund rings around them in terms of computer knowledge. The stores don't pay enough wages to employ skilled staff, so they pay minimum wage and tell them to sell what pays the highest markup for the store and commission of the salesperson.
2. In this case she's probably right. People will return it on the basis that they don't know it. Also, frankly the default linuxes bundled with most netbooks are dire.
3. The woman had likely never used Linux. That's not her fault, she's probably just doing a job she hates to pay her bills. I had no idea how good Linux was really until I tried Hardy. Until then it was in the category marked "secure, great for servers but for desktops? Not ready" based on my past experiences. Now I know I was wrong, but I didn't at the time.

Not much to do about it, just let linux spread virally as it's doing. People ARE finding out about it. It's not ever going to be instant, but eventually you will be able to go into a shop and they'll help you choose a distro based on what your needs are! Seriously! Windows will be a dirty word!

ade234uk
September 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM

Bloody clueless. Please remember you are dealing with Currys here. If I can help it I try not to go to places like Currys, PC World, but If I am desperate for paper, or my mouse or printer stops working they are handy on a sunday morning when other computer shops are shut.

Swagman
September 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
For the overseas readers..

Currys is an electrical retailer as is Dixons. Pc World is as you visualise, as computer retailer.

They are all owned by the DSGi group and it really does show !!

Pc World have now started selling televisions etc which is further blurring the boundaries. How long before you can buy a dishwasher in Pc World ?

The salespeople are actually more interested in selling you "MasterPlan" insurance on the item you just bought which in itself is a rip-off.

lol moment...

My Big Bro got banned from Pc World for telling someone that the item they are about to buy is considerably cheaper next door in Staples !!

Blacklightbulb
September 22nd, 2009, 05:51 PM

In this case it wasn't an attack on Linux, just a try to make more profit.

suitedaces
September 22nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
I wasn't complaining from a linux fan's viewpoint, just from the view of a potential customer who's discovered gross misselling, and who has been belittled by a shop assistant who knows nothing.

sydbat
September 22nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
How Linux friendly a PC shop is does matter to me when choosing a PC store to patron.

There is a PC shop that I go to frequently. They sell parts for building your own rig, as well as, pre-built (Dell, Lenovo, HP, Sony, Toshiba, etc.) computers. Occasionally, they sell a custom built rig that someone built; however, couldn't pay their loan (they repossessed the hardware for non-payment). Some of those custom builds are really nice, and inexpensive.

They do not sell any pre-built computers with Linux on them.

I found an inexpensive laptop I wanted on their website. I didn't want to pay the shipping and handling cost; therefore, I went to the store. They didn't have what I wanted in stock at the time. The sales person offered to order it for me, and also offered to show me some other computers they did have in stock. I let the sales person show me what they had in stock. When the discussion came to what OS, XP or Vista, was loaded on it, I said, "I didn't care because I am going to install Linux on it anyway". The sales person said, "OK what Linux distro do you use". The sales person made no comments about removing Microsoft Windows voiding the warranty, and so on. The sales person was only asking about what Linux distro I used in order to enhance his own knowledge of what customers are using.

I decided to do some searching on the Internet for memory and hard drive upgrades for my laptop. It had a decent dual core Intel processor. So, I opted to upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 4GB, and the disk drive from 120GB to 500GB. That was a lot less expensive than a new laptop.

That experience has influenced my patronage of that store. I bought my last 3 computers from them. Including one of the returned custom built rigs. Never has any sales person in that store questioned my use of Linux. It also helps that they are one of the least expensive brick-n-mortar shops in the area.Sounds like Memory Express. They know what they are doing and I shop/send people there all the time.

Cardcaptor Stacey
September 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
I haven't been in a PC shop for years, mainly for this reason. What the salesperson said to you was disgusting. I would complain. It's just easier and usually cheaper to buy on the internet. :P

duckwhistle
September 23rd, 2009, 01:31 PM
thats why the internet is such a cool place to shop. No customer to saleperson interaction. For a lot of items interacting with salespeople makes the process an annoyance. At least you have choices now.

:-k Ok, so does anyone know of a website that sells Ubuntu installed desktops and ships to the UK?

And before anyone says Dell, I have searched there site and all you can get at the moment are laptops or those all in one imac rip-offs that are full of hardware designed for laptops:confused:

On a side note, whilst at college doing an IT course half my class applied for a job advertised by PC world, and none got it due to "not having sales experience".
Since they employed quite a few staff who were obviously too young to have had any "sales experience" themselves we embarked on a campaign of going in and asking for things that did not exist and seeing how many sales staff we could get searching the shelves before they decided they didn't sell it.

Swagman
September 23rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
:-k Ok, so does anyone know of a website that sells Ubuntu installed desktops and ships to the UK?

And before anyone says Dell, I have searched there site and all you can get at the moment are laptops or those all in one imac rip-offs that are full of hardware designed for laptops:confused:

On a side note, whilst at college doing an IT course half my class applied for a job advertised by PC world, and none got it due to "not having sales experience".
Since they employed quite a few staff who were obviously too young to have had any "sales experience" themselves we embarked on a campaign of going in and asking for things that did not exist and seeing how many sales staff we could get searching the shelves before they decided they didn't sell it.

http://www.efficientpc.co.uk/desktops/

Dimitriid
September 23rd, 2009, 02:46 PM

No it isn't. I've worked on customer service for the last 8 years or so and I can tell you that if I hear any of my agents get even close to that tone of voice I'll pull em off the phone immediately and send em to Human Resources on the spot. Of all the millions of policies I have dealt with over the years the number 1 is always never even raise your voice a little with a customer. Its about the only universal reason that accounts to immediate removal for us and we usually fire people over a lot less than that.

There are tons of people without a job that wish they could be in her position as crappy as the job looks, there is no excuse to ever belittle a customer or intentionally argue with them like that. They can scream, yell, curse or demand things all they want but in customer service you are paid to never react to any of it simple because of that: its your job and you get paid to be the bigger person.

The reaction was also uncalled for and unprovoked which only adds insult to injury. Even if its been a while go back to the store, demand to speak with a store manager and report her.