PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Multiple Workspaces -> Musical Chairs! What happened?

taiwanjohn
September 21st, 2009, 02:05 PM
I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) with the standard Gnome desktop. I have 8 workspaces set up in two rows:

1-2-3-4
5-6-7-8

But this afternoon when I sat down, I discovered that all the apps in these various workspaces had shifted to different workspaces:

7-8-5-6
3-4-1-2

(Note: this is a home machine, and I live alone, so the possibility of a deliberate prank is effectively zero.)

I'd been using a mouse with a jittery wheel, which I just replaced today. When I scrolled a window up/down with the mouse wheel, the content would jump around uncontrollably. And occasionally when the cursor got over an exposed area of desktop, my workspace view would sometimes jump around too. (That's why I replaced the mouse.)

So my question is, what happened? Is there a window manager command to "rotate workspaces"? I've looked through the prefs/setup options, and didn't run across anything like that.

I've tried the new (reliable) mouse with the wheel on the desktop, and can't recreate the behavior with any combination of control keys or mouse buttons.

Just curious... ;-)

Thanks!

--jrd

clonne4crw
September 28th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Haha. Musical chairs. Never seen anything like this before.

I don't think theres a command to switch the workspace icons around. I would say scrap the config and delete the panel applet, and add a new one.