PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Won't install upgrade to 8.04

paul.macdonnell@gmail.com
September 21st, 2009, 10:45 AM
I bought my Dell Inspiron Mini 10 about 3 months ago. When I plugged it in and booted it up it automatically tried to download and install updates to Ubunto 8.04. It downloaded updates but when it tries to install them I get the following message...

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.24-22-lpia_2.6.24-22.45netbook9_lpia.deb: files list file for package `libxcb-shape0' is missing final newline

Ideally I'd like a solution to this that doesn't require a serious operation on the OS.. Any ideas..?

Paul

Partyboi2
September 21st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Hi, open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and type or paste

echo -en '\n' | sudo tee -a /var/lib/dpkg/info/libxcb-shape0.list

sudo dpkg --configure -a

September 21st, 2009, 04:24 PM
Hi, open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and type or paste

echo -en '\n' | sudo tee -a /var/lib/dpkg/info/libxcb-shape0.list

sudo dpkg --configure -a
Hi - I'm very, very new to Ubuntu...so forgive me if I make some elementary mistake. i did what you suggest - I take it I'm supposed to hit 'Return' between the two lines of code??

In any case when I do it nothing happens......I mean the code goes in I hit return and ...it just gives me another prompt...? I'll try it again.,,,

BraedenNaylor
September 21st, 2009, 04:57 PM
Hi - I'm very, very new to Ubuntu...so forgive me if I make some elementary mistake. i did what you suggest - I take it I'm supposed to hit 'Return' between the two lines of code??

In any case when I do it nothing happens......I mean the code goes in I hit return and ...it just gives me another prompt...? I'll try it again.,,,

Yes press return after each line. After you finish that run the updates again using update manager.

September 21st, 2009, 05:13 PM
Hi - This what happens...paul@paul:~$ echo -en '\n' | sudo tee -a /var/lib/dpkg/info/libxcb-shape0.list [I press return and it prompts me with - ]
[sudo] password for paul: [I enter password here and press return]

paul@paul:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a [I press return]
paul@paul:~$ [another prompt???]

I close the window and run the update...and eventually get -

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.24-22-lpia_2.6.24-22.45netbook9_lpia.deb: files list file for package `libxcb-shape0' contains empty filename

- so. it doesn't work...??

Partyboi2
September 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Looks like it did not work, open a terminal again and move the list file with

sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/libxcb-shape0.list /var/lib/dpkg/info/libxcb-shape0.lis.broke
then try reinstalling the 'libxcb-shape0' package with

sudo apt-get --reinstall install libxcb-shape0
Then try updating again.

September 22nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Wonderful. It worked a treat. Many thanks for your help.