PDA

View Full Version : Instead of requesting Canonical change defaults in Ubuntu to suit YOUR desires...

Dullstar
September 21st, 2009, 07:02 AM
... why don't you just change them?

What's with everyone saying Ubuntu needs to become a KDE distro? Isn't that why we have Kubuntu?
Why change the default browser? Firefox is a good choice for Ubuntu, because it's familiar with Linux newbies. If IE satisfies you, I think it's safe to assume Windows does as well.
Why change the messenger client? Pidgin works fine, and I found it relatively easy to use for someone who never used an IM client.

Canonical shouldn't have to change things to suit the needs of some users. If I had a problem with Firefox as the default browser, wouldn't it make sense to get a different browser? Wow, that makes a lot of sense. A lot of us don't like IE. Do we contact Microsoft and go, "Hey, you guys should get rid of IE and replace it with something else?" No. We download the alternative of our choice. (although not being able to uninstall IE is something I don't like).

lisati
September 21st, 2009, 07:06 AM
I like things the way they are, with the default layout for the Gnome desktop being obviously different to "that other OS", thus making it easier for me to remember which OS I happen to be running at the moment.

RichardLinx
September 21st, 2009, 07:13 AM

Canonical shouldn't have to change things to suit the needs of some users. If I had a problem with Firefox as the default browser, wouldn't it make sense to get a different browser? Wow, that makes a lot of sense. A lot of us don't like IE. Do we contact Microsoft and go, "Hey, you guys should get rid of IE and replace it with something else?" No. We download the alternative of our choice. (although not being able to uninstall IE is something I don't like).

I think you're missing the point completely. Ubuntu is aiming to be a completely usable desktop OS. Features and things that people request will make it better for those who know less about computers. I'm happy with Ubuntu how it is and change many things on install that I'm sure other people wouldn't be happy with in a default install.

If numerous people request Opera be used as the default client, Canonical SHOULD change it because it's something people want. That's just an example.

Going by your logic Canonical should have stopped working on Ubuntu at 6.06. After all, we could just change it from there.

Exodist
September 21st, 2009, 09:51 AM
I like things the way they are, with the default layout for the Gnome desktop being obviously different to "that other OS", thus making it easier for me to remember which OS I happen to be running at the moment.

I enjoy the default layout as well.
I seen how SuSE now changes Gnome to look like KDE and its garbage looking. Very very cluttered and inefficient.

rookcifer
September 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM
If numerous people request Opera be used as the default client, Canonical SHOULD change it because it's something people want. That's just an example.

That'll never happen unless Opera opens their source code.

Exodist
September 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
That'll never happen unless Opera opens their source code.

Very true, but it is a good example tho.

kalana
September 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM

What's with everyone saying Ubuntu needs to become a KDE distro? Isn't that why we have Kubuntu?
Why change the default browser? Firefox is a good choice for Ubuntu, because it's familiar with Linux newbies. If IE satisfies you, I think it's safe to assume Windows does as well.
Why change the messenger client? Pidgin works fine, and I found it relatively easy to use for someone who never used an IM client.

Totally agreed..
What comes to ur mind when someone say Ubuntu? If u have use Kbuntu, PCLOS, OpenSUSE, Slackware and FreeBSD, each have its own personality. So for a new comer what kind of a feeling Ubuntu should provide. Lot of fancy stuff which might bog down on slow computer or a Pretty Desktop which provides what you need. I think Ubuntu provides a easy and simple outer cover to Linux and that's what it needs to fix Ubuntu bug #1. With KDE taking over GNOME is like what you experience when MS when from XP to Vista.

kal

mcduck
September 21st, 2009, 11:06 AM

It's not that simple. Even if many people want something it doesn't mean that most people would want it.

I'd actually be quite amazed if most Ubuntu user's really wanted Opera instead of Firefox. :)

Same goes for KDE, and many other things as well. Of course it might seem otherwise if you don't really think about it, since the people who want to change the default setup are the ones making lots of threads about it while those happy with the current setup have no reason to complain all around the forums how this and that programs should be replaced with their personal favorite.