PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Weird Printer Installation Problem??

yuxinzhu93
September 21st, 2009, 06:52 AM
I recently switched over from Linux Mint to Ubuntu
I have a Brother MCF-290C Printer
In Mint, there was a driver built in the printing settings for my specific printer
on Ubuntu, i was directed to the Brother site to download the driver (http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/), but when i opened it to install it said

Can not open XXX, The package might be corrupt or you are not allowed to open..Check the permission of the file"

Any ideas?

oboedad55
September 21st, 2009, 07:08 AM
I recently switched over from Linux Mint to Ubuntu
I have a Brother MCF-290C Printer
In Mint, there was a driver built in the printing settings for my specific printer
on Ubuntu, i was directed to the Brother site to download the driver (http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/), but when i opened it to install it said

Can not open XXX, The package might be corrupt or you are not allowed to open..Check the permission of the file"

Any ideas?

I took a look at that site and it wants me to download .rpm file which is for various RedHat based systems. Whatever you did in Mint should work in straight Ubuntu as Mint is based on Ubuntu.

yuxinzhu93
September 21st, 2009, 01:10 PM
in mint, my printer was listed under the driver selection in the printer settings, in Ubuntu, it was not, which is why i had to go online and download?

hm..so any other way I can get a hold of this driver? or open the file? there was also .deb on the brother site

Ulsak
September 21st, 2009, 01:19 PM
well, this occured to me aswell. I sent an e-mail to the support ( here in sweden ) and asked the to investigate what's wrong with .deb-file.
I did try to open it as root and failed..so it must a broken .deb?

yuxinzhu93
September 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
weird thing is it works in linux mint

is there a way to transfer the drivers from linux mint? since the driver for that printer is built into mint
and mint is based off ubuntu so would it work? How can i locate a separate copy of the driver for my printer?