PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation partitioning

AtariRaccoon
September 21st, 2009, 04:30 AM
Since wubi refuses to run on my pc, I'm using a burnt disk with the Ubuntu installer. Now I've got my old OS on a puny old 6 gig and a seperate 20 gig with 4g's used for personal data. Using the on disk installer via CD boot, it makes a partition for itself in the larger drive, but a message kind of irks me about the possibility of deleting all the data in the main D:drive partition. On installation, does it delete all data on the entire drive, especially since it's not the drive the 'other' os is on?

blackened
September 21st, 2009, 04:49 AM
That message is meant to warn you that all data on the partition you'll be installing to will be erased. If you chose to install to the entire drive, then the entire drive will be erased. If you chose to install to one (or more) partition(s), then only the data on that(those) partition(s) will be erased.

AtariRaccoon
September 21st, 2009, 04:59 AM
Yeah, I'm anticipating that it's installing into it's own partition when I'm using the first option to boot alongside another OS, and NOT using "install on the entire drive".

But yeah, better to be wary and ask questions than diving right in.

blackened
September 21st, 2009, 05:18 AM
...better to be wary and ask questions than diving right in.

I guess that all depends on what your motives are. If I'm trying to learn how to do something, then I typically benefit more from problems than from perfection. Obviously I break things alot, but hey, that's what backups are for. :)