PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] rsync between ubuntu machines.

Roasted
September 21st, 2009, 03:16 AM
Just curious - how do you do this?

I rsync all the time, but I rsync on the local machine from 1 drive to another for data redundancy.

What if I wanted to rsync to a new backup server, yet my desktop is Ubuntu and the backup server is Ubuntu. What would I do?

badger_fruit
September 21st, 2009, 09:11 AM
Just curious - how do you do this?

I rsync all the time, but I rsync on the local machine from 1 drive to another for data redundancy.

What if I wanted to rsync to a new backup server, yet my desktop is Ubuntu and the backup server is Ubuntu. What would I do?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=man+rsync

Rsync is a generic application and the man pages will give you the information you want.

stumbleUpon
September 21st, 2009, 09:17 AM
rsync yourOptions folderInPresentMachine/ destinationMachineIP:destinationFolder/

ownaginatious
September 21st, 2009, 09:17 AM
I would suggest maybe mounting the drive you want to sync to automatically to the computer where rsync is running.

I'm kind of new to this, so I'm not sure if this will work, but maybe you can create a script that first mounts the drive of the server, syncs to it, and then unmounts it.

By mounting it to your computer where rsync is running, it should work just as you've been using it already.

badger_fruit
September 21st, 2009, 09:50 AM
I would suggest maybe mounting the drive you want to sync to automatically to the computer where rsync is running ..../snip

No no no no no no!

With rsync you do not need to do this!

If the mount fails for whatever reason, your rsync will work but, as the folder will be a local folder, the next time the share is mounted, the contents will be replaced with the mounted share.

To do an un-mounted rsync from Machine A to Machine B you need to create a shared SSH key otherwise, every time you try it will prompt for the password (no good for cron or scripting).

This website here (http://hocuspokus.net/2008/01/ssh-shared-key-setup-ssh-logins-without-passwords) tells you how this is done and the Man pages (man rsync or use the URL --> http://www.manpagez.com/man/1/rsync/) will detail how to perform the sync.

Roasted
September 21st, 2009, 05:16 PM
rsync yourOptions folderInPresentMachine/ destinationMachineIP:destinationFolder/

So an example command would be:

rsync -r --delete /home/jason/ /192.168.1.101/media/storage/

???

Could I use the computer name instead of IP?

badger_fruit
September 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM

Yes, although you'd have to ensure a correct DNS entry first
(check in /etc/hosts)

stumbleUpon
September 22nd, 2009, 06:18 AM
So an example command would be:

rsync -r --delete /home/jason/ /192.168.1.101/media/storage/

???

Make sure to have a colon between the IP number and the destination folder

rsync -r --delete /home/jason/ 192.168.1.101:/media/storage/

Roasted
September 22nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Good deal guys. Thanks for the help!

Roasted
November 2nd, 2009, 04:18 AM
I'm confused over what I might be doing wrong here. Both machines have Samba installed and both machines are in the workgroup "workgroup".

I even mounted the share on my skynet box to Area51, thinking maybe it was an authentication issue.

But I get:

jason@Area51:~$ rsync -r /home/jason/test/ 192.168.1.108:/home/jason/
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.108 port 22: Connection refused
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(600) [sender=3.0.5]
jason@Area51:~$

192.168.1.108 is the IP of the "skynet" box. I tried to use it with skynet and also the IP. Both don't work.

ownaginatious
November 2nd, 2009, 04:56 AM
I'm confused over what I might be doing wrong here. Both machines have Samba installed and both machines are in the workgroup "workgroup".

I even mounted the share on my skynet box to Area51, thinking maybe it was an authentication issue.

But I get:

jason@Area51:~$ rsync -r /home/jason/test/ 192.168.1.108:/home/jason/
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.108 port 22: Connection refused
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(600) [sender=3.0.5]
jason@Area51:~$

192.168.1.108 is the IP of the "skynet" box. I tried to use it with skynet and also the IP. Both don't work.

This works over SSH, not Samba. Make sure you have SSH installed on the target machine.

Roasted
November 2nd, 2009, 05:14 AM
This works over SSH, not Samba. Make sure you have SSH installed on the target machine.

Bingo! Thank you.

How can I incorporate the ssh credentials into a script so I can just launch the script and it auto-run without having to log in?

ownaginatious
November 2nd, 2009, 05:18 AM
Just follow the beginning of this (http://pkeck.myweb.uga.edu/ssh/) tutorial; it's relatively straight forward. Good luck!

Roasted
November 2nd, 2009, 05:23 AM
Thanks. I'll check it out.

One last question:

Yes, although you'd have to ensure a correct DNS entry first
(check in /etc/hosts)

Kind of a dumb question but I just have to ask - this machine should really be a static IP, right? Just with putting in host name + IP to /etc/hosts, if the IP changes, then the DNS wouldn't flow right (I assume). Is my train of thought right? Static?

ownaginatious
November 2nd, 2009, 05:32 AM
Kind of a dumb question but I just have to ask - this machine should really be a static IP, right? Just with putting in host name + IP to /etc/hosts, if the IP changes, then the DNS wouldn't flow right (I assume). Is my train of thought right? Static?

Ya, the IP always has to be the same to work with the domain name. I have an IP that frequently changes, so I got a free dynamic DNS from no-ip.org. There is software that will automatically update it from your server at a regular interval (available in the Ubuntu repository as far as I remember). It's pretty cool :p.

Lars Noodén
November 2nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Just follow the beginning of this (http://pkeck.myweb.uga.edu/ssh/) tutorial; it's relatively straight forward. Good luck!

That looks useful. One fine point to add regarding single-purpose keys is that if the connection is automated, it is a good idea on the remote host to have the authorized_keys file, .ssh directory, and home directory unwriteable by the remote user.

# assuming that the account is 'budroe'
# the owner can be root or some other user
# as long as it is not the automated account
# that has to be able to read, but not write

chown nobody:budroe /home/budroe
chmod 050 /home/budroe

chown nobody:budroe /home/budroe/.ssh/
chmod 050 /home/budroe/.ssh/

chown nobody:budroe /home/budroe/.ssh/authorized_keys
chmod 040 /home/budroe/.ssh/authorized_keys

You can see how rsync is run on the remote machine and which parameters are passed, but making the ssh connection manually while running the client in the debug mode using the -v, -vv, or -vvv to set debug level 1, 2 or 3:

rsync -e "ssh -t -v" --rsync-path='sudo rsync' \
-av bkupacct@www.example.org:/var/www/ /tmp/

One of the lines produced during the connection will start with 'Sending command' e.g.

debug1: Sending command: sudo rsync --server --sender -e.iLs . /var/www

Then you can restrict the user to a specific command by prepending command="rsync...." to the key. See sshd (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/karmic/en/man8/sshd.8.html) for more details about modifying the key.

Same for making a custom line in /etc/sudoers.