PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu OS on a wiped or new drive

JonDO7
September 21st, 2009, 03:04 AM
Please bear with me! I am new to Ubuntu and have used it on a pre-installed PC. So I kind of know how the OS works and what it can do for you. But I have been a Windows user for quite awhile, and don`t know the "ins and outs" of installing the Ubuntu on a wiped drive or new drive. I have installed Many Windows OS`s and drivers on many different PC`s. My question is, what is the process of installing the drivers and formating the disk when installing Ubuntu on a clean hard drive? I`m just trying to install Ubuntu on a PC and I`ve already wiped the drive.
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks again(I`m trying to make the switch to Linux so please bear with my ignorance!!))

cholericfun
September 21st, 2009, 03:15 AM
well, just put your cd in,
it'll walk you through

re drivers, you may want to try out ubuntu "without changing anything" i.e. the LiveCD and see what driverrelated issues you may have.

also theres a heap of tutorials as to what to think about when installing ubuntu

one thing you may want to do is partition your drive beforehand to accomodate a / (root),/home in ext3 (or ext4) and a swap partition.