PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sharing files in ethernet network ubuntu 9.04

GiantSpider
September 21st, 2009, 02:02 AM
I have Ubuntu 9.04 installed on three desktop computers. Two of which I installed via gpartition and a cd. The third I used daemon tools and wubi. I have internet connection on all three.

The main reason to network the computers is to backup files. I have a dual boot with windows on all 3. The three Windows computers can share files. I want to take my personal data from the windows partition to the Linux. The Ubuntu side of the boot can't share with any other computer, but, have internet.

james_newbie
September 21st, 2009, 03:58 PM
I have a similar problem and hope somebody can help us.

My hard drives always have an ntfs data partition where all my downloads, photos, music etc. are stored . This allows me to reinstall an OS without losing my data. I can use this partition from either OS. Ubuntu can see all of my Windows shared files but Windows cannot see my "shared" Ubuntu folders either.
If I want to backup those files to another computer, I boot Windows and both Ubuntu and Windows computers on the network can see the data drive, and I can backup the files to the data drives on any other computer on the network.

Good luck to both of us!

GiantSpider
September 22nd, 2009, 04:31 AM
I turned on sharing for one file. I had to install sharing services. After I was finished turning on sharing for that one file I looked at my Vista computer. It said one unknown device was on the network which I'm pretty sure was the Ubuntu shared file. How do I set the workgroup in Ubuntu? I changed my at home network to a different name than the default for my Windows computers.

The ubuntu computer can see itself. I can access my shared documents, its just it can't see the other computers and those computers can't see it. By default it looks like it put the Ubuntu computer in the Workgroup workgroup.

joelgsf
September 22nd, 2009, 05:22 AM
The easiest way is installing Samba, if not installed, and configuring it to share files, folders, printers, and other resources.
To know if you have Samba installed or not get to a terminal and do

~$ smbd -V
Version 3.3.2
If you get a version answer such as above Samba is installed. If not install it with

~$ sudo apt-get install samba
You need now to configure it to suit your needs. This may be done just by editing its configuration file "/etc/samba/smb.conf", or using a GUI configuration program for the job. I prefer myself to configure it manually - you have full control.
See Ubuntu documentation with this respect (https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/ubuntu/serverguide/C/windows-networking-introduction.html). There is a short tutorial which will help you "do the trick".
Happy sharing!

Iowan
September 22nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7979230#post7979230) is a helpful How-To you may want to see after you install Samba.

james_newbie
September 23rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the help. I am now able to share between Ubuntu and Windows.

I edited the smb.conf file adding the line "usershare owner only = false" and changing the line "workgroup = WORKGROUP" to my own workgroup.

But now I have this extra WORKGROUP . How can I delete it?
Thanks again.

Iowan
September 23rd, 2009, 11:07 PM
My understanding is that it should go away, once the Master Browser eventually notices that it is not there.

james_newbie
September 24th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks Iowan. It did go away but it took some time!
Now that everything is running smoothly, I want to replace Ubuntu with XUbuntu on one of my older network computers:). That will be another challenge!