PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question: Do I need to reinstall Jaunty after changing motherboards?

AlexanderDGreat
September 21st, 2009, 01:23 AM
Hi all! I have:

Ubuntu 9.04 64bit installed, Intel C2D, ASUS P5S-MX SE motherboard, WD 250gb hd, Nvidia 8500GT Videocard, Kingston 1gb ram ddr2

I'm CHANGING my motherboard & processor to Intel/Quadcore because I want to upgrade, add more memory, BUT won't change my harddrive anymore.

Question: Do I need to reinstall Ubuntu 9.04 64bit because of the new Quadcore Motherboard/Processor? Or is it unnecessary?

I ask this because in Windows I format C: whenever I change motherboards. Is the process the same in Ubuntu and why?

Kind regards.

AlexanderDGreat
September 21st, 2009, 09:05 AM
bump

sideaway
September 21st, 2009, 09:09 AM
CHipsets have their own set of 'rules' and drivers, for instance some motherboards use different chipsets for networking etc. If you're going from an intel p35 to p45, you're probably ok since most of the features will be similar. However if you got from an old mPGA478 to a 780G, you're gonna have to reinstall.

So in other words, what motherboard do you have now, and what are you intending to buy?

AlexanderDGreat
September 21st, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hi sideaway, thanks for the only person replying.

Actually, I needed an answer quickly so I did caveman-speak-Google, "reinstall ubuntu change motherboard" and got pretty cool answers.

It says a lot "no" and "yes". Best way must be to try it.

Anyway, I separated my home partition so all my files will be ok, right?

I'm just curious, because others said it can be complicated if I've 2 hard drives, which I do, and I also got a separate /boot.

Thanks.