PDA

View Full Version : Your greatest fear?

CJ Master
September 21st, 2009, 12:44 AM
Mine would probably still have to be the fear of shots... I made a topic about shots a long while ago.

chessnerd
September 21st, 2009, 12:52 AM
Being imprisoned for a crime I did not commit.

This one keeps me up at night sometimes. I don't know why, but I think that, someday, I'm going to be on trial for a bogus crime that I think it's obvious I'm not guilty of, and I'll get convicted of it for whatever reason, and spend 5+ years in prison for it.

It may be irrational, but it's a huge fear for me.

HappyFeet
September 21st, 2009, 12:52 AM
Being forced to use windows.

dragos240
September 21st, 2009, 12:58 AM

That's my second greatest fear. But..... razorblades..... *shutters*.

kevin11951
September 21st, 2009, 01:05 AM
I have two, my greatest instinctual fear is spiders... My greatest moral (for lack of a better word) is being wrongly accused of something.

Exodist
September 21st, 2009, 01:07 AM
#1 Spiders.
#2 Being buried alive or dead.
#3 Economy

purgatori
September 21st, 2009, 01:09 AM
Many of my greatest fears have already been realized.

Never finding love? Check.
Living in a world where even the best women are attracted to foul, brutish, men? Check.

Other than that, my greatest fears are something awful happening to one or more of my immediate family members, being imprisoned or tortured in some fashion, and the spread of fascism/totalitarianism, especially of the religious variety.

chucky chuckaluck
September 21st, 2009, 01:11 AM
i'm not as afraid of snakes as i used to be (living in nc has helped with that. no choice). i still have a horrible fear of ocean liners and the ocean, but i live four hours inland. heights are probably the worst. i was watching something about helicopters and they were showing this one helicopter lowering the top part on some extremely tall building. the view made me both panic and feel faint at the same time, despite the fact i was sitting on my couch at the time. (i can't imagine having to use windows being that terrifying, but i suppose we all have our irrational phobias.)

Daisuke_Aramaki
September 21st, 2009, 01:23 AM
Snakes - Had a brush with death 6 years ago when a cobra bit me twice. I was in a coma for almost a month, and I lost some of my memory.

Large mass of water - Ocean, river, lake, whatever they are. A traumatic incident way back when i was in my early teens, effectively created this dreadful image that it is impossible for me to deal with it anymore.

larky
September 21st, 2009, 01:27 AM
Dying.

Tipped OuT
September 21st, 2009, 01:28 AM
God.

JillSwift
September 21st, 2009, 01:31 AM
I have a deep, abiding fear that the grunting, thoughtless, self-serving cretins in the world will be proven to be perfectly normal and common, destroying all hope of improving the world.

PurposeOfReason
September 21st, 2009, 01:32 AM
Burning to death. Nothing else really gets me so I'll give my comments to others in this thread.
God - What's to fear if you don't believe? If you do, he will love you (provided he exists)
Dying - We're all going sometime
Snakes - Just an animal
Large bodies of water - Incident aside, it's not hurting you.
Spiders - Depends on the spider, granted, but most won't hurt you
Buried alive - I'll give you that
Economy - They can take you money and your possessions but they can't take who you are
Razorblades - Shave, problem solved
Windows - Very funny
Imprisonment - Get a lawyer.

ctrlmd
September 21st, 2009, 01:35 AM
my self
im scared that someday my self will fail me or i will fail my self :(

Tipped OuT
September 21st, 2009, 01:36 AM
Dying.

That's odd, because I'm more scared of the opposite... living. :P

jrusso2
September 21st, 2009, 01:42 AM
I am afraid to look back since something might be catching up with me.

Hosmion
September 21st, 2009, 01:44 AM
Dying but coming back to life and being buried in a locked coffin underground.

MasterNetra
September 21st, 2009, 02:05 AM
Burning to death. Nothing else really gets me so I'll give my comments to others in this thread.
God - What's to fear if you don't believe? If you do, he will love you (provided he exists)
Snakes - Just an animal
Large bodies of water - Incident aside, it's not hurting you.
Spiders - Depends on the spider, granted, but most won't hurt you
Buried alive - I'll give you that
Economy - They can take you money and your possessions but they can't take who you are
Razorblades - Shave, problem solved
Windows - Very funny
Imprisonment - Get a lawyer.

Burning to death - Yea I guess that would be a tad unpleasent.
God - True if you don't believe your not going to fear.
Dying - It happens to us all, but the fear of it is driven via instinct.
Snakes - For whatever reason the fear of them is instinctual. Many are poisonous, some are deadly. Few are really aggressive.
Large Bodies of Water - Never underestimate the power of water, it can easily kill.
Spiders - Many will bite, a number of them are poisonous, some will kill.
Buried Alive - Would be unsettling to say the least.
Razorblades - Respect sharp objects and they will usually respect you.
Windows - ...Don't stick you neck out a window that closes easily..or at all?
Imprisonment - Don't bend over for fallen soap...

kevCast
September 21st, 2009, 02:09 AM
Posting in a thread about my fears.

Oh no!

WalmartSniperLX
September 21st, 2009, 02:14 AM
Electrical shocks

Even static

Though I've learned to cope better.

Giant Speck
September 21st, 2009, 02:23 AM
Lightning, but only when I'm outside. I have no problem watching lightning from a window.

I also really don't like floors or walkways that I can see through.

diwas
September 21st, 2009, 02:25 AM
history.

purgatori
September 21st, 2009, 02:28 AM
God.

I have good news for you.

I have a deep, abiding fear that the grunting, thoughtless, self-serving cretins in the world will be proven to be perfectly normal and common, destroying all hope of improving the world.

I have bad news for you.

Grukmuck
September 21st, 2009, 02:37 AM
hornets, wasps and occasionally bees. I just cant stand that they can fly around and sting me in the back.

Small spaces. Though i have mostly gotten over it. Though if you have ever watched The Shawshank Redemption, the part where he has to crawl something like 3 or 4 football fields through a pipe filled with human waste to escape, i would have to stay in prison. Not because of the waste, but the small pipe he crawls through.

-gruk

ynnhoj
September 21st, 2009, 02:37 AM
cockroaches! they give me the creeps. i've sort of gotten used to the fact that every now and then i'll see one in my home (typically in the bathroom), but i still don't waste any time getting rid of them. if i were to see a cockroach outside, on the street for example, it wouldn't bother me at all.. but in my home it's different.

Tipped OuT
September 21st, 2009, 02:45 AM
i have good news for you.

:)

Giant Speck
September 21st, 2009, 02:48 AM
I have good news for you.

I see what you did there, but let's please not steer the discussion in that direction. :)

Tipped OuT
September 21st, 2009, 02:49 AM
I see what you did there, but let's please not steer the discussion in that direction. :)

Yeah, please.

JillSwift
September 21st, 2009, 03:00 AM
I have bad news for you.Awww §Ϧ|Ϯ!

gletob
September 21st, 2009, 03:08 AM
Spiders.
Big Spiders.
Pregnant Spiders.
Baby spiders.

And I guess you could include this but it's no so much a fear but something that makes me so angry I could be classified as Psychotic: Being accused of lying or doing something, If I'm lying and someone figures it out then that's fine, but when I'm telling the truth and you say I'm lying I get pissed off fast. Or if someone else does something and I get blamed, for example in 8th grade my Physics (If you can rightfully call it that) teacher accused me of making a grunting noise when he put us in to groups, but it was the girl behind me. I picked up a chair and threatened to beat him up side the head with it.

Minor Issues.

yabbadabbadont
September 21st, 2009, 03:10 AM
The full moon...

RedSquirrel
September 21st, 2009, 03:12 AM
Movie spoilers introduced without warning. :evil:

Small spaces. Though i have mostly gotten over it. Though if you have ever watched The Shawshank Redemption, the part where he has to crawl something like 3 or 4 football fields through a pipe filled with human waste to escape, i would have to stay in prison. Not because of the waste, but the small pipe he crawls through.

hobo14
September 21st, 2009, 05:10 AM
Many of my greatest fears have already been realized.

Never finding love? Check.
Living in a world where even the best women are attracted to foul, brutish, men? Check.

Other than that, my greatest fears are something awful happening to one or more of my immediate family members, being imprisoned or tortured in some fashion, and the spread of fascism/totalitarianism, especially of the religious variety.

Well, without going into anything that will get me banned or censored here, could it be that women are attracted to personalities that differ greatly from the one you display in your blog?

hobo14
September 21st, 2009, 05:15 AM
Movie spoilers introduced without warning. :evil:

You've had 15 years to watch it! :P

I'm afraid of acquiring brain damage through an accident. Brains are pretty much irreplaceable, and near irreparable.

LarsKongo
September 21st, 2009, 05:39 AM
Parasites. Ticks specially or anything that feeds on my body.

yabbadabbadont
September 21st, 2009, 05:43 AM
Parasites. Ticks specially or anything that feeds on my body.

Then I guess it would be unkind to mention how many bacteria and other microscopic beasties are hosted by the normal human body... :twisted:

LarsKongo
September 21st, 2009, 05:49 AM
Then I guess it would be unkind to mention how many bacteria and other microscopic beasties are hosted by the normal human body... :twisted:
:p Well, I don't have a problem with those, only those who I can see or those that causes problems.

blackened
September 21st, 2009, 05:56 AM
Can't really say I have any irrational fears. About the biggest thing I worry about is the possibility that Mike Judge might be right, and that the world is becoming a real-time re-enactment of Idiocracy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/). Is this the case? I'm just Not Sure.

schauerlich
September 21st, 2009, 05:58 AM
In before "fear itself"

lisati
September 21st, 2009, 06:00 AM
What if I go to bed one night, and wake up to discover that what I thought was this life was some kind of cosmic practical joke?

God.

Electrical shocks
Having given myself a nasty zap by careless experimentation with a nail, a piece of wire and an electrical outlet when I was about 3 or 4, I can appreciate that.

I also really don't like floors or walkways that I can see through.
I'm not keen on heights, even though I've jumped out of a plane a few times.

SomeGuyDude
September 21st, 2009, 06:09 AM
Accidentally cybersexing with my mom.

Giant Speck
September 21st, 2009, 06:17 AM
In before "fear itself"

lolroosevelt

yabbadabbadont
September 21st, 2009, 06:28 AM
Accidentally cybersexing with my mom.

The scariest part of that statement, is the implication that you believe it to be a possibility... :shock:

:lol:

pelle.k
September 21st, 2009, 08:32 AM
1. Ghosts - especially the idea of one standing at the foot of my bed, when waking up.
2. Aliens (grays) - especially the idea of one standing at the foot of my bed, when waking up.
3. Things that *really* dont belong. I once woke up (having a high fever), hearing this high pitched tone what came from everywhere at once. It short circuited my brain so bad, because i couldn't place it. I was so scared i wanted to die.
4. Spiders, naturally.

pissedoffdude
September 21st, 2009, 08:36 AM
dying without finding love and a bunch of other wonderful things that are a part of life.

sideaway
September 21st, 2009, 08:50 AM
Suffocation. It's something I absolutely can't stand. I hate people touching my neck and the inability to breathe.

koshatnik
September 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM
US conservatives.

Khakilang
September 21st, 2009, 09:30 AM
Computer virus apparently with Windows. Never fail to be infected whenever I surf the net.

khelben1979
September 21st, 2009, 09:54 AM
Death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death).

itreius
September 21st, 2009, 10:30 AM
Death and not knowing when it'll happen to me.

HappinessNow
September 21st, 2009, 10:36 AM
Dying.

Dying - It happens to us all, but the fear of it is driven via instinct.

dying without finding love and a bunch of other wonderful things that are a part of life.

Death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death).

Death and not knowing when it'll happen to me.

"Man who fears death, dies a thousand times" Charlie Chan film quote

kalana
September 21st, 2009, 10:38 AM
Having to pay (There is no free versions or replacements ) for the Operating system and other lovely Desktop software..

moster
September 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM
Paralysed from neck down so that you cannot even kill yourself.

koshatnik
September 21st, 2009, 12:36 PM
To all those that say death... why? Its going to happen, so why worry about it? It's not like you can avoid it. You'd be better off worrying about something you can affect, like living for example :)

moster
September 21st, 2009, 12:41 PM
To all those that say death... why? Its going to happen, so why worry about it? It's not like you can avoid it. You'd be better off worrying about something you can affect, like living for example :)

Maybe they did some bad things :) And if they believe in justice in the end, I would be scared too in their place haha

khelben1979
September 21st, 2009, 01:12 PM

Because, if you don't fear death, you will probably die much sooner.

moster
September 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Are you a soldier or a granny? :D

;)

kellemes
September 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
Losing control.

koshatnik
September 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM

Based on what evidence? :)

Death waits for us all, quit worrying about it. Go out and live.

TheStroj
September 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM
Being locked in a coffin and not being able to die.

coldReactive
September 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Bugs,

powerful storms / tornados,

car exploding after filling up with gas when turning it on,

glaucoma test <tie> eyedrops,

blood,

my mother,

going out every day thinking I might die.

Those are in order from most to least scared of. Below that last item are various minor fears, I think.

itreius
September 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM
Perhaps your opinion would change if you were looking death in the eyes. Why do you automatically assume that being afraid of death equals to not living a life?

Maybe they did some bad things :) And if they believe in justice in the end, I would be scared too in their place haha
No, I'm not afraid of "justice in the end" since I don't believe in those kinds of things. What I am afraid is the fact that in a split of a second I won't exist any more and all the things and experiences I had done will be gone.

If someone can't fathom that, I'd say they're the ones not "living a life" if they're not scared of losing it.

sudoer541
September 21st, 2009, 03:16 PM
my greatest fear is hell... just look at this (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=23+minutes+in+hell)

Grishka
September 21st, 2009, 03:22 PM
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

sudoer541
September 21st, 2009, 03:38 PM
Spiders.
Big Spiders.
Pregnant Spiders.
Baby spiders.

And I guess you could include this but it's no so much a fear but something that makes me so angry I could be classified as Psychotic: Being accused of lying or doing something, If I'm lying and someone figures it out then that's fine, but when I'm telling the truth and you say I'm lying I get pissed off fast. Or if someone else does something and I get blamed, for example in 8th grade my Physics (If you can rightfully call it that) teacher accused me of making a grunting noise when he put us in to groups, but it was the girl behind me. I picked up a chair and threatened to beat him up side the head with it.

Minor Issues.
thats so traumatic.
Picked up a chair? I would int call this minor lol

sudoer541
September 21st, 2009, 03:40 PM
true fact

Grenage
September 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM
For myself, I must echo Jill's sentiments; it's about the only thing that scares me.

Originally Posted by JillSwift

Tipped OuT
September 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM
Perhaps your opinion would change if you were looking death in the eyes. Why do you automatically assume that being afraid of death equals to not living a life?

I'm not afraid of death because it's going to happen anyways. We all are going to die no matter how you look at it. When I think of death, I think of it as going to sleep forever... with a slight shock of pain. Nothing more. If you're religious and believe in an after life, then it's even better.

If anything, you should be scared of life, because your life is what's happening now. You only have one, so don't screw it up.

sudoer541
September 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM
I'm not afraid of death because it's going to happen anyways. We all are going to die no matter how you look at it. When I think of death, I think of it as going to sleep forever... with a slight shock of pain. Nothing more. If you're religious and believe in an after life, then it's even better.

If anything, you should be scared of life, because your life is what's happening now. You only have one, so don't screw it up.
yeah, life is only temporary .

khelben1979
September 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM
Are you a soldier or a granny? :D

;)

Never been a soldier..

sudoer541
September 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM
Bugs,

powerful storms / tornados,

car exploding after filling up with gas when turning it on,

glaucoma test <tie> eyedrops,

blood,

my mother,

going out every day thinking I might die.

Those are in order from most to least scared of. Below that last item are various minor fears, I think.

I loled at that!
you know what to do when she gets old right? Retirement home!!! lol
at least then you gonna get your revenge. jk lol

eragon100
September 21st, 2009, 04:09 PM
A ban on violent games, anime, or both here in the Netherlands (it's not in the planning as far as I know, but our neighbour Germany is considering a violent game ban, and we have a conservative government right now, so...)

coldReactive
September 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM
I loled at that!
you know what to do when she gets old right? Retirement home!!! lol
at least then you gonna get your revenge. jk lol

You should really not. I've had such a bad life with her. -_-

sudoer541
September 21st, 2009, 04:14 PM
You should really not. I've had such a bad life with her. -_-
ohh sorry about that:(, I thought you were joking, I feel bad.

eragon100
September 21st, 2009, 05:18 PM
Never been a soldier..

I think modern warfare is boring...

Would love to be a samurai or ninja (especially ninja) tough in Japan a few centuries back.
That'd be awesome! :guitar: :evil:

kellemes
September 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
A ban on violent games, anime, or both here in the Netherlands (it's not in the planning as far as I know, but our neighbour Germany is considering a violent game ban, and we have a conservative government right now, so...)

I hope they ban crap like that.
I'm afraid of violence, everyone should..

eragon100
September 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM

Luckilly, what you think doesn't matter much, because I just did some research, and our own minister of justice has sayed that although he detests extreme cases such as manhunt 2 (I don't play that game, and that says a lot), he can't ban them for adults because doing so would be against the constitutional right on free speech. Which makes any discussion about the usefullnes of such a ban pretty useless, since it is pretty certain the game industry will fight the law as being unconstitutional, and they will win. Period. just like it has happened already in the US 45 times in just the last year. There has never been an attempt to ban violent games for everyone in the US, but there have been 18 attempts to ban them for minors over there, all of which have been declared unconstitional due to a complete lack of evidence to suggest any link between violent media (games in this case) and (increased) agression. Sure, some researchers suggest a link, but many more don't, and a lot of scientists say chances are playing these games makes you less violent in real life because you have a virtual outlet for your ideas. I can provide links to very good/trustworthy articles if you so desire.

If you don't enjoy these games, fine, don't play them, but please, stop trying to force your opinion on everyone else, since we live in a free society. Thank you :wink:

SomeGuyDude
September 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM

Yeah, because before violent video games and movies happened, the world was so peaceful. :lolflag:

JillSwift
September 21st, 2009, 07:44 PM
I'm afraid of violence,No doubt true. I have no reason to suspect you would lie abou this.

everyone should..
Bawllocks

ElSlunko
September 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Cliff Edges or the Edges of really tall Dams.

ZarathustraDK
September 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM

C'mon, we all used Windows, it's like original sin so it doesn't count.

Apart from the usual creepy-crawlies, when I was a kid I was horrified about two things, Basilisks and Golden Dart Frogs (or rather the batrachotoxin they produce). Generally Guiness Book of Records have inspired quite a few sleepless nights in my youth.

gabo.cr
September 21st, 2009, 08:33 PM
To wake up in the middle of the night and see someone standing right next to you.

:shock:

PurposeOfReason
September 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM
To wake up in the middle of the night and see someone standing right next to you.

:shock:
What's wrong with waking up from you girlfriend standing next to you with that look on her face that means its business time, cause she's wearing her business socks?

gabo.cr
September 21st, 2009, 08:52 PM
that means its business time

Is that from "Flight Of The Conchords" ?
I love their songs.

:guitar:

LookTJ
September 21st, 2009, 08:56 PM
God is my greatest fear.

tom66
September 21st, 2009, 09:08 PM
Quadratic equations.

RiceMonster
September 21st, 2009, 09:09 PM
Quadratic equations.

Really? I did those in highschool.

PurposeOfReason
September 21st, 2009, 09:18 PM
Is that from "Flight Of The Conchords" ?
I love their songs.

:guitar:
It is. :KS

tom66
September 21st, 2009, 09:24 PM
Really? I did those in highschool.

Yeah, I'm doing them right now. I've got to get more practice, they're quite difficult for me, but I was kidding about them being my greatest fear...

Now, my greatest fear would be to fail all of my GCSEs. Which would be impossible, because I already have an A-grade in Statistics.

sandyd
September 21st, 2009, 09:49 PM
my basement.

Incendia
September 21st, 2009, 09:57 PM
Social Phobia.
Isn't fun, I get the fast-beating heart, stumbling, really bad shaking, and some other symptoms.

TheLions
September 21st, 2009, 10:34 PM
Debugging C code!

:lolflag:

73ckn797
September 21st, 2009, 10:44 PM
Having only The Community Cafe to post to.

sports fan Matt
September 21st, 2009, 11:51 PM
Heights..escalators..(depth perception isnt great)

blackened
September 22nd, 2009, 01:53 AM
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Great books. I still think of the litany in tense situations. Geeky eh. :)

my greatest fear is hell... just look at this (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=23+minutes+in+hell)

I hope you meant this as sarcasm. Pure silliness. This guy should avoid horror movies before bedtime.

Tipped OuT
September 22nd, 2009, 01:55 AM
I hope you meant this as sarcasm. Pure silliness. This guy should avoid horror movies before bedtime.

I think we should keep away from making comments like these... it could be very offensive to some people.

blackened
September 22nd, 2009, 02:07 AM
I think we should keep away from making comments like these... it could be very offensive to some people.

You're probably right. My apologies.

TiniBits
September 22nd, 2009, 02:33 AM
Paralysed from neck down so that you cannot even kill yourself.

mar adentro (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369702/), great movie based on a true story about a man and his journey for the right to die.

magmon
September 22nd, 2009, 02:59 AM
My greatest fear is going blind. And it may not be as irrational as other listed fears, it sill sucks.

sudoer541
September 22nd, 2009, 03:06 AM
You're probably right. My apologies.
apology accepted.:D
I think someone should close this thread because I see some people doing the same thing you did(am talking about my self).:)

hobo14
September 22nd, 2009, 03:09 AM
I think we should keep away from making comments like these... it could be very offensive to some people.Well, the guy in the video might be offended, but how could anyone else be?

misfitpierce
September 22nd, 2009, 03:10 AM
Mine would be having to go back to windows or mac :P

moster
September 22nd, 2009, 04:54 AM
There are more people that witness hell. Or they believe in seeing it. But stories of people who had their one foot in grave are just too convincing to complitly ignore it as bull. I remember some guy who should die in plaincrash. He have half of his face fried. He told story very very similar. This is serious topic and somebody should make new one about it.

CJ Master
September 22nd, 2009, 04:57 AM
There are more people that witness hell. Or they believe in seeing it. But stories of people who had their one foot in grave are just too convincing to complitly ignore it as bull. I remember some guy who should die in plaincrash. He have half of his face fried. He told story very very similar. This is serious topic and somebody should make new one about it.

I'd make it on OS Talk. (http://www.ostalk.org/) I'm not sure how the admins would appreciate that discussion on this forum.

Lets move back on topic. :)

Giant Speck
September 22nd, 2009, 05:04 AM

Talking about Hell means talking about religion, which is against the rules of Ubuntu Forums.

moster
September 22nd, 2009, 05:11 AM
Talking about Hell means talking about religion, which is against the rules of Ubuntu Forums.

Yes? I did not know that. Well pity. :( It would be interesting to hear people thought about that. Maybe even their own experiences.

hanzomon4
September 22nd, 2009, 05:19 AM
Sarah Palin becoming President... :shock:

moster
September 22nd, 2009, 05:32 AM

and hire that pornstar look-alike for dangerous situation.

Giant Speck
September 22nd, 2009, 05:37 AM

I think her quitting her job (i.e. resigning from governorship) is going to severely hurt her chances of making that happen, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

and hire that pornstar look-alike for dangerous situation.

j7%<RmUg
September 22nd, 2009, 07:02 AM
Ubuntu, until i found out it was not windows vistas long lost cousin.

On second thoughts my second greatest fear is the windows logo and my third greatest fear is bill gates saying that windows is better than everything else.

Giant Speck
September 22nd, 2009, 07:12 AM
Ubuntu, until i found out it was not windows vistas long lost cousin.

On second thoughts my second greatest fear is the windows logo and my third greatest fear is bill gates saying that windows is better than everything else.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/681/windowslogow.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5571/128980732527124365.png

Exodist
September 22nd, 2009, 07:15 AM
gnome shell

CJ Master
September 23rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Ah, I found an article with the top 10 fears. (http://www.faceyourfearstoday.com/Top_10_Fears.html) Now that I think about it, I really don't like public speaking either.

ibuclaw
September 23rd, 2009, 04:45 PM
My greatest fear is CJ Master starting a "greatest fear" thread...

Since that has happened and I've gotten over it, I must admit that rollmops are pretty scary things.

RiceMonster
September 23rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
I'm afraid of rice monsters

I am my own greatest weakness

juancarlospaco
September 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
gegls from outer space

CJ Master
September 25th, 2009, 07:10 AM
My greatest fear is CJ Master starting a "greatest fear" thread...

Since that has happened and I've gotten over it, I must admit that rollmops are pretty scary things.

I know, that CJ Master can be such a jerk. ;)

LookTJ
September 25th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Ah, I found an article with the top 10 fears. (http://www.faceyourfearstoday.com/Top_10_Fears.html) Now that I think about it, I really don't like public speaking either.
I like public speaking. It makes me nervous, but it's a good nervousness.

EDIT: think of public speaking like a roller coaster ride. :)

inobe
September 25th, 2009, 07:31 AM
i fear a bad dream, trapped in a deep mote with high walls and stagnant water with no way out in the night, in the dark.

etnlIcarus
September 25th, 2009, 10:19 AM
My greatest fear is confessing my greatest fear[s] in a public forum and then having some sick f*** punking me at a LUG meet. Trust issues, yay!
I also fear being near this guy when he has his next psychotic episode.

Sean Moran
September 25th, 2009, 10:33 AM
A lonely death with no legacy to leave behind after 40 years of life.

Kazade
September 25th, 2009, 10:46 AM
1. Draconian internet restrictions in an attempt stem illegal file sharing
2. Spiders

NCLI
September 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Dentists & injections. Especially injections at the dentist :(

moster
September 25th, 2009, 10:55 AM
1. Draconian internet restrictions in an attempt stem illegal file sharing
2. Spiders

Your biggest fear is do not get daily porn dose? HAHA

etnlIcarus
September 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM
It's all about the pornz.

moster
September 25th, 2009, 11:27 AM
It's all about the pornz.

I guess authorities are not kidding when they say that majority of internet bandwidth are porn and spam he-he

Mosaab
September 25th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Drowning is my greatest fear though I am a dive master.
Dying while doing something god forbidden.

cgroza
September 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM
1.Being buried alive while I sleep.
2.Windows batch files..

stinger30au
September 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM
finding out that the rumours of the alien base on the dark sid3e of the moon really exisits and i am the only human left on the planet and everyone else really is an alien

Incendia
September 25th, 2009, 02:54 PM
finding out that the rumours of the alien base on the dark sid3e of the moon really exisits and i am the only human left on the planet and everyone else really is an alien

:|

moster
September 25th, 2009, 02:58 PM
:|
Not so funny, hm? :biggrin:

Kazade
September 25th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Can I change my greatest fear to stinger30au? :D

Incendia
September 25th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Can I change my greatest fear to stinger30au? :D

+1.

Ahah ;]

ChrT
September 25th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Bugs. Specifically, insects and spiders. The PETA can while all they like, but the only way to stop them from ******* up your **** while you sleep is to KILL THEM PAINFULLY.

ukripper
September 25th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Being fearless is my greatest fear!:guitar:

RiceMonster
September 25th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Being fearless is my greatest fear!:guitar:

So I take it you're afraid of other things to avoid your fear of fearlessness?

ukripper
September 25th, 2009, 03:58 PM
So I take it you're afraid of other things to avoid your fear of fearlessness?

In a way you are right. Running away from fear itself gives you sense of fearless persona, however it may not be right!

chriskin
September 25th, 2009, 04:04 PM
gnome shell

hehe
It's not that bad actually, just try it for a day or two.

as for the fear, i can't say i have a certain phobia. i'm afraid of frightening stuff as it is logical, but i can't find a certain something that frightens me too much.

xpod
September 25th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Re: Your greatest fear?

I`m a father to 4 young girls(4-14), where do i start? :)

forrestcupp
September 25th, 2009, 04:09 PM
In before "fear itself"

I really can't believe it took 4 pages for someone to say "fear itself". Good job.

coldReactive
September 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM
gnome shell

+1

Dark Aspect
September 25th, 2009, 04:41 PM

Its not that bad, I like Ubuntu but XP is usable in most cases.

I had that image put in my head as a child from someone who dug up graves to build interstates and roads. He said that if you open the coffins you could see scratch marks from inside most of the coffins. I didn't sleep for a least two years, still bugs me out but Its not my number one fear.

I am, as I already stated, arachnophobic, Mostly annoying wolf spider:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GRdgxlF70gk/SgqucE4Mv3I/AAAAAAAAB10/A83OSGD3O3E/s400/P6104715_wolf_spider_unscaled_sm.jpg

And Tennessee is crawling with em.

etnlIcarus
September 25th, 2009, 04:54 PM
but XP is usable in most cases.If you carry a flash stick around with you, loaded with DeskAngel, one of the bb4win shells and a few portable apps, then yeah, it's pretty usable...

Edit: Also, things like arachnophobia/acrophobia really shouldn't be considered phobias. They are mostly rational, even if they're motivated by instinct or negative experience.

Dark Aspect
September 25th, 2009, 04:58 PM
If you carry a flash stick around with you, loaded with DeskAngel, one of the bb4win shells and a few portable apps, then yeah, it's pretty usable...

Fair enough, I don't go anywhere without a least three flash sticks :)

Also, things like arachnophobia/acrophobia really shouldn't be considered phobias. They are mostly rational, even if they're motivated by instinct or negative experience.

Well yeah thats true to a degree since most spiders aren't deadly, their just Satan's child as far as looks. I suppose if you have a fear of brown recluses and black widows than that won't be irrational since they can actually kill you.

moster
September 25th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I really can't believe it took 4 pages for someone to say "fear itself". Good job.

You cannot really say that.

It would be same as told my greatest pleasure is pleasure itself. That not make any sense.

Point is, what is the CAUSE.

RiceMonster
September 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM
You cannot really say that.

It would be same as told my greatest pleasure is pleasure itself. That not make any sense.

Point is, what is the CAUSE.

They're referencing a quote from Franklin D. Roosevelt, in which he said "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself".

moster
September 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM
They're referencing a quote from Franklin D. Roosevelt, in which he said "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself".
I did not know that.. Well, it has totally different meaning.

Fear of fear itself is unjustified fear. And therefore counterproductive. I do not know in what context he said that sentence.

Incendia
September 25th, 2009, 07:46 PM
gnome shell

I like the looks of Gnome Shell... from the one screenshot I saw.

Its not that bad, I like Ubuntu but XP is usable in most cases.

I had that image put in my head as a child from someone who dug up graves to build interstates and roads. He said that if you open the coffins you could see scratch marks from inside most of the coffins. I didn't sleep for a least two years, still bugs me out but Its not my number one fear.

I am, as I already stated, arachnophobic, Mostly annoying wolf spider:

And Tennessee is crawling with em.

I dislike all insects and animals that look like insects like spiders.
Not so much seeing them.
Just if they touch me.
Or being really close to them; so that they could touch me if they moved quickly.

Oh, and if worms touch me, especially on the face, I throw up. :]
But worms aren't a fear, more a disgust.

Tipped OuT
September 25th, 2009, 08:16 PM
If you carry a flash stick around with you, loaded with DeskAngel, one of the bb4win shells and a few portable apps, then yeah, it's pretty usable...

Yeah for you. But for the rest of us "normal" users, Windows XP is fine as it is. :P

Incendia
September 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah for you. But for the rest of us "normal" users, Windows XP is fine as it is. :P

I dislike XP.
But like Windows 7. :]

Giant Speck
September 26th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I did not know that.. Well, it has totally different meaning.

Fear of fear itself is unjustified fear. And therefore counterproductive. I do not know in what context he said that sentence.

Franklin Roosevelt was inaugurated on March 4, 1933, in the middle of a bank panic. A bank panic, also called a bank run, occurs when a large number of bank customers withdraw all of their deposits in fear that their bank will go under.

Franklin's line "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself," therefore means that we (i.e. Americans in 1933) did not have to fear banks closing. The only thing they had to fear was the fear that caused bank panics to occur in the first place, which made the economic situation worse.

If people weren't afraid of their banks going under, then bank panics wouldn't have occured, and the economy might not of run itself into the ground even further than it already had. In fact, most of the economic damage that occurred during the Great Depression in the United States in the 1930s was caused by bank panics themselves.

moster
September 26th, 2009, 10:25 AM
@Giant Speck
Thank you. Very nice clarification.

forrestcupp
September 26th, 2009, 03:22 PM

And FDR stole the idea from Thoreau. When he was writing his inaugural address, he had been reading an anthology of Thoreau's writings that said, "Nothing is so much to be feared as fear."

Thoreau probably stole the idea from Michel de Montaigne, who around 1580 said, "The thing of which I have most fear is fear."

Like Giant Speck said, it basically means that a lot of things aren't a viable cause for fear, but because of human nature with panic, we stir up unjustifiable fear, anyway.

moster
September 26th, 2009, 05:04 PM
haha, now we going in some strange path...

I hear for lot of phobias. Just to clarify, phobia is unjustified fear from something. I hear for phobia from just about everything. From small spaces across open spaces to antique furniture. But never phobia from fear itself. Is it really exist or just people try to be "smart"?

Incendia
September 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM

I hear for lot of phobias. Just to clarify, phobia is unjustified fear from something. I hear for phobia from just about everything. From small spaces across open spaces to antique furniture. But never phobia from fear itself. Is it really exist or just people try to be "smart"?

it should be listed on here.
http://www.phobia-fear-release.com/phobia-dictionary.html

balloooza
September 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Talking animals... last time I read a book about talking anomals (in school) I had a dream that a rabid squirrel was in the drop tile celling. The squirrel opened its mouth and spit out a square net with rocks at the four edges, and hit me, then the teacher poeked it with his "death stick" (a 2 yard 1/2" brass pipe he uses as a pointer)

Incendia
September 26th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Talking animals... last time I read a book about talking anomals (in school) I had a dream that a rabid squirrel was in the drop tile celling. The squirrel opened its mouth and spit out a square net with rocks at the four edges, and hit me, then the teacher poeked it with his "death stick" (a 2 yard 1/2" brass pipe he uses as a pointer)

That rabid squirrel must of had a big gob. LOL

forrestcupp
September 26th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Hmmm. In Narnia, all the talking animals are nice.

moster
September 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM
it should be listed on here.
http://www.phobia-fear-release.com/phobia-dictionary.html
Fear from fear do not exist :D

But my God how much fears... Just see this one: Japanophobia - Fear of Japanese

Incendia
September 26th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Fear from fear do not exist :D

But my God how much fears... Just see this one: Japanophobia - Fear of Japanese

Why would anyone be scared of the Japanese?
I think it also implies dislike as well.
Like homophobia; it is use for the hatred of and/or fear of.
& I'm sure there some low people out there who dislike the East Asian race. :/

moster
September 26th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Why would anyone be scared of the Japanese?
I think it also implies dislike as well.
Like homophobia; it is use for the hatred of and/or fear of.
& I'm sure there some low people out there who dislike the East Asian race. :/

hm.. I think this is not like that. Phobia is fear, not hate. Term "homophob" is used alot because many people dislikes them. I personally do not know anybody who do not like Japan or japanese people. They seem so friendly people.

Giant Speck
September 26th, 2009, 08:23 PM

Usually, when people have a fear of fear itself, they are having a fear of unjustified fear. Going back to the Roosevelt example, Americans in 1933 were afraid of other people becoming afraid, because they knew that that fear would cause people to damage the economy. They weren't fearing "fear itself" in a sense; they were fearing that people were creating unjustified fear.

For example, during World War II, many Americans developed an unjustified fear of Japanese people. Japanese Americans feared that unjustified fear because they knew that fear would lead to discrimination. And it did. In 1942, the United States sent 120,000 Japanese Americans to internment camps in the western United States.

The same thing is happening today. After the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, many Muslim Americans feared that non-Muslim Americans would develop an unjustified fear of Muslims in general, which would result in discrimination against Muslims. And it's happening.

So, in short, fear of fear itself = fear of unjustified fear.

moster
September 26th, 2009, 11:38 PM
@Giant peck

hmm.. you said that very well. Sometimes I find hard to express myself with words, specially in foreign language.

Yes, americans in WW2 developed unjustified fear but from todays view. Back then, listening to propaganda radio and TV watching kamikaze... well, who would not be afraid back then. Same thing happened in Europe against germans. Exactly same thing is today with muslims.

I still do not see fear from fear itself. Fear today exist from muslims that every one of them become extremist and suicide killer. Ok, that is not realistic, but that is not fear from fear itself, that is fear from getting killed. In theory it is possible, that is why some people overreact and develop phobia.

I still not agree with fear of fear itself. It is always real cause. Not matter how ridicolous or small chances are.

In time of great crisis 1929, Rooswelt was saying that.. well... I just see that as fear from loosing money not from fear to fear. It seems so stupid somehow.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

how explain this..
swiming 50m over sea deep 5m, and 5000m is not same. But you can drown just as easy in 5m as in 5000m.

fly by plain and be afraid and drive a car/motorcycle drunk an relaxed and know that statistically you have 10X more chance to be killed in car. Drunk probably 100X.

human nature is very difficult to explain. but.. did you know that elephant weighted 8t is afraid of cobra? Is that phobia or real fear? :)

JillSwift
September 27th, 2009, 12:03 AM
then the teacher poeked it with his "death stick" (a 2 yard 1/2" brass pipe he uses as a pointer)

Squirrel: "You don't want to poke me with that 'death stick'."
Teacher: "I don't want to poke you with this 'death stick'."
Squirrel: "You want to go home and rethink your life."
Teacher: "I want to go home and rethink my life."

forrestcupp
September 27th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I still not agree with fear of fear itself. It is always real cause. Not matter how ridicolous or small chances are.

In time of great crisis 1929, Rooswelt was saying that.. well... I just see that as fear from loosing money not from fear to fear. It seems so stupid somehow.

I don't understand why you have such a problem with this and why you can't understand it.

Having a fear of fear itself doesn't apply to the person who has the unjustified fear. Having a fear of fear itself is when someone who knows better is afraid that a bunch of people who don't know any better are going to panic. That person who knows better is afraid of the consequences of other people's fear. That is having a fear of fear itself.

When I made that post pointing out that it took someone 4 pages to say that, it was mainly out of humor referring to FDR's quote. I really didn't mean to mess up someone's life over it. ;)

etnlIcarus
September 27th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Squirrel: "You don't want to poke me with that 'death stick'."
Teacher: "I don't want to poke you with this 'death stick'."
Squirrel: "You want to go home and rethink your life."
Teacher: "I want to go home and rethink my life."

/thread

Firestem4
September 27th, 2009, 07:10 AM
My biggest fear is ignorance. It helps me strive for a greater understanding of everything I do. It also makes me pity (myself) and the rest of the world for being so blind.

bruno9779
September 27th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Being imprisoned for a crime I did not commit.

This one keeps me up at night sometimes. I don't know why, but I think that, someday, I'm going to be on trial for a bogus crime that I think it's obvious I'm not guilty of, and I'll get convicted of it for whatever reason, and spend 5+ years in prison for it.

It may be irrational, but it's a huge fear for me.

I is not an irrational fear: you live in the US

etnlIcarus
September 27th, 2009, 10:43 AM
At least in Russia they have the decency to poison you, before hauling you off.

moster
September 27th, 2009, 09:03 PM
My biggest fear is ignorance. It helps me strive for a greater understanding of everything I do. It also makes me pity (myself) and the rest of the world for being so blind.

relax, have a beer. Or two. :)

Incendia
September 27th, 2009, 09:07 PM
At least in Russia they have the decency to poison you, before hauling you off.

In soviet russia, car drives you! ;]

forrestcupp
September 27th, 2009, 09:43 PM

Actually, ignorance is bliss. The more you know, the more you're responsible for. ;)