PDA

View Full Version : the good and the bad

projectguy
September 20th, 2009, 11:46 PM
k i have to come clean, i don't really have ubuntu. yet. before i make the change can you please share with me the god things ( i kno its free) and the bad.( i looked around and a lot of " i hate ubuntu threads).

so please share. thx :KS

Garrovick
September 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM
There are only three areas I'm not thrilled about. 1. iPods are not fully supported. And Linux is not the OS for advanced any brand of MP3 portables 2. Flash is poor for most BigBox off the shelf computers. And, most of all an Internet connection is mandatory.

Other than that, for me, Ubuntu is no different than Windows 95 or 98.

running_rabbit07
October 20th, 2009, 05:59 AM
My Sony MP3 player works better with Ubuntu being I can drag and drop to and from the player unlike with Windows, I could only add or delete files, not copy them.

My NVIDIA Graphics had to have a driver installed, but that was easy. I installed on two other NVIDIA systems and the drivers were automatically installed.

Sound is amplified, so when the volume is up, it gets crackle.

A pro is that ou will have a much more secure system.

A con is that you have to work a little to get your system set up and running. Once that is done, it will run great.

Once you install, log everything you make changes to, so that you can reverse them if problems occur.

Feel free to check out the links in my signature. And always ask questions if you are uncertain about something.

PS. about the fact you see a lot of "Ihate Ubuntu threads." We all notice that in life people are more willing to complain about small things than give a pat on the shoulder for the good. That is what you are seeing. For better results, check out the actual help threads and see how people here help freely no matter how small the problem.

HappyFeet
October 20th, 2009, 06:15 AM
My Sony MP3 player works better with Ubuntu being I can drag and drop to and from the player unlike with Windows, I could only add or delete files, not copy them.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Although I know windows very well, I've lost the "feel" for it. Linux's little nuances, like snapping windows, non-focused window scrolling, and many other little tidbits are what make it a joy to use. Every time I have to use a windows machine, I realize just how much I take the linux desktop for granted and how I should appreciate it.

running_rabbit07
October 20th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Although I know windows very well, I've lost the "feel" for it. Linux's little nuances, like snapping windows, non-focused window scrolling, and many other little tidbits are what make it a joy to use. Every time I have to use a windows machine, I realize just how much I take the linux desktop for granted and how I should appreciate it.

Yup. I just like being able to alter my themes whenever I get bored. I have heard people say that it can be done in MS also, but it sounded way too much like work.

sloggerkhan
October 20th, 2009, 06:33 AM
k i have to come clean, i don't really have ubuntu. yet. before i make the change can you please share with me the god things ( i kno its free) and the bad.( i looked around and a lot of " i hate ubuntu threads).

Downsides/Checkoffs
*You really need internet access to get the full benefit.

*When it comes to mp3 players and similar niche peripherals, you'll need to be careful so you can be sure it works when you buy it (most stuff works with linux eventually, but not necessarily when it's first released).

*Don't expect windows games or software to work, instead try their free alternatives.

Upsides
*if something goes wrong you can redo your system in under an hour

*very little maintenance needed

*tons of software freely available

*stable/responsive

*easy to use

*free

*secure

*customizable

3rdalbum
October 20th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Don't expect your Windows software to work (most of the time it won't, but occasionally it might), and you have to get into the habit of checking hardware compatibility with Linux before buying any hardware. The latter is common-sense and I've always done it, but I understand that long-time Windows users have never done it.

Also, if you want the absolute latest and greatest software, you will need to find a PPA that contains it (easy) or compile it yourself (not hard, but a bit fiddly). I tend to just stick with whatever software is in the repositories.

There is a learning curve. Ubuntu is as easy as Windows or the Mac OS, but it's easier in some ways and harder in others; it evens out. Things are done very differently in Ubuntu than in other operating systems or even other Linux distributions. Usually when people say "Ubuntu sucks", they just mean "Ubuntu doesn't work the same way as Windows and I don't want to learn something different".

Everything else is "the good" - Ubuntu just keeps on keeping on, it looks fantastic, it performs well, it keeps out of your way, it's exciting, it's incredibly customisable for your way of working, and I wouldn't use anything else.

armandh
October 20th, 2009, 12:48 PM
if it can be avoided do not do your first Ubuntu install on a mission critical machine, practice on that old P-III
or
if it can't be avoided back up everything you cannot afford to loose [as you should be doing any way]

most Ubuntu installs I have done have been slam dunk
a few have not,
the live disk will give you a compatibility test
but a severely fragmented drive will be a problem.

if you have not a spare computer
find a spare drive to try first
or
if your win is totally "fouled" up
use the live disk to copy out needed files and
go for the whole disk install

please to not start out with a still in beta candidate
most of the bugs have been swept out of 9.04

Tamlynmac
October 20th, 2009, 09:28 PM
projectguy

Posting a question on this forum asking for the positives and negatives of Ubuntu is likely to result in more positives than negatives. If you truly wish to know the advantages of one OS over another the only real solution is to try them (live cd). With all the information available on the web and in this forum, I wonder why you would ask that question and what possible agenda you might have. I assume your intent is honorable and that your honestly seeking information.

But the best answer (IMHO), is for you to try it yourself and not depend on the opinions of others - make a decision based on your own evaluation. For example, you didn't even define what your primary expectations regrading an OS are. Or what computing needs you may have - are you a gamer, a professional photographer or video editor, etc. That might help others provide opinions with respect to your specific needs. Depending on the opinions of others rarely answers questions regarding one's own needs.

Good Luck