PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] can't switch user

lovrenca
September 20th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Hi.
In the two years since I have switched from windows to ubuntu, this is the first problem I am unable to solve even after spending more than 5 hours searching for the answer. The problem is the following:

After installing propertial (fglrx) driver for my ati hd 4890 graphic card I am unable to switch from one user to another.(not with the fast user switch applet and not with the button switch user in the locked csreen).
The screen goes black for a few seconds and than I land back where I was before the attempt to switch user(locked screen or desktop). When switching with fast user switch applet the result is:

The graphical interface did not properly start, which is needed for graphical logins. It is likely that the X Window System or GDM is not properly configured.
The X server failed to finish starting.
3 X failed

and in the locked screen:
Cannot start new display
The X server failed. Perhaps it is not configured well.

I would appreciate any help, and if there is a thread with a similar problem, you belive might help, please paste a link.

lovrenca
September 23rd, 2009, 06:54 PM
Anyone?

lovrenca
September 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM
bump

lovrenca
September 26th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Please help guys, this is a problem.

lovrenca
September 28th, 2009, 10:13 AM
So I guess a sollution for this problem does not exist...
In that case please close the topic.:guitar:

Minsky
September 28th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I think the problem lies with the proprietary driver. I'm using a HD 4830 and I've got a similar problem to yours. I think the solution is to use open source drivers but with the drawback that you may not be able to enable extra visual effects

lovrenca
September 28th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Yes as far as I have researched this problem I must agree with you, the drivers are definitelly at fault here. I have an ati radeon 4890 card and use the fglrx drivers. I tried reseting xorg settings with sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg but it trashed my x session and had to repaire it in the root session-terminal... but that was after restart. when I tried switching user, after runing this command, it worked!(warning, do not use that command, had very bad experience with it :( )