PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] masquerade problems ubuntu 9.04

corl45
September 20th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Alright, I have 2 computers upstairs with a wireless router/gateway. The two computers are hooked up through the router/gateway (its both in one, by 2wire 2701 hg-d) by ethernet cables. we have 2 laptops that connect fine to the wireless. So I also have 2 desktops downstairs in my room, one of them has a wireless card that I get internet from and a lan card, running ubuntu 9.04 (the one I'm on right now) and I want to get it to masquerade to the second winxp machine I have in my room so I can get internet on both of the computers. I'm realativly new to ubuntu, but not entirely, I've tried coutnless tutorials on how to do it, none of which worked. They all looked about the same, 10 steps involving "ifconfig eth0" and so on. but I cannot get it to work. I would assume the tutorials are for people connected directly to the internet, and not through a router so mabey thats why its not working, I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

CyberAngel
September 21st, 2009, 10:02 AM
Try the following solution...

Add the following iptable rule on your ubuntu downstairs

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -j MASQUERADE

Change wlan0 to your wireless interface whatever this might be.

Now put an ip in a different network on your ethernet interface and connect it with the second computer using a cable and use that ip as the gateway of the second computer.

corl45
September 22nd, 2009, 02:24 AM
Alright! thanks, I'll try it out.

corl45
September 22nd, 2009, 04:18 AM
Sorry about the double post, but I was wondering exactly what "Add the following iptable rule on your ubuntu downstairs" means? Does that mean I enter that line of code into the Terminal with either sudo or sudo su? Or is that something different?

CyberAngel
September 22nd, 2009, 06:49 AM
Sorry about the double post, but I was wondering exactly what "Add the following iptable rule on your ubuntu downstairs" means? Does that mean I enter that line of code into the Terminal with either sudo or sudo su? Or is that something different?

yes, exactly :)

sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -j MASQUERADE

and then check your iptables using this commands:

sudo iptables -v -L -n
sudo iptables -v -L -n -t nat

corl45
September 24th, 2009, 11:44 PM
No dice so far... not sure what to do

creeddd
September 25th, 2009, 01:21 PM
have you tried pinging the router and the other addresses wlan0 eth0 from the other computers.