PDA

View Full Version : this actually happened to me this week!

rifak
September 20th, 2009, 08:53 PM
haha so i am driving downtown the other day and on my car i have a linux penguin bumper sticker. i get stopped at a red light and i hear someone yelling at me. i look in my mirror and it's the guy behind me trying to get my attention. once we make eye contact, he gets out of his van (mind you we are in the middle of the road at a red light haha) and comes up to my window. he says, "hey, do you know how to use linux?" i respond yes and he then gives me his business card and says "call me sometime and we'll go to lunch. i have some work for you." haha how crazy is that? im probably going to call him this week and try to meet up to see what his business is about and what he has that needs to be done. pretty cool though

sudoer541
September 20th, 2009, 08:58 PM
haha so i am driving downtown the other day and on my car i have a linux penguin bumper sticker. i get stopped at a red light and i hear someone yelling at me. i look in my mirror and it's the guy behind me trying to get my attention. once we make eye contact, he gets out of his van (mind you we are in the middle of the road at a red light haha) and comes up to my window. he says, "hey, do you know how to use linux?" i respond yes and he then gives me his business card and says "call me sometime and we'll go to lunch. i have some work for you." haha how crazy is that? im probably going to call him this week and try to meet up to see what his business is about and what he has that needs to be done. pretty cool though

wow lol thats nice, once you call him let us know what happened.
I am sure he wants you to setup his servers maybe?

nowin4me
September 20th, 2009, 09:01 PM
"OMG it's another LINUX USER those are rare STOP HIM!"

Wow!Please keep us updated!

And thanks for the story!

chris200x9
September 20th, 2009, 09:16 PM
makes me think of

http://xkcd.com/165/

very cool btw I once had a similar expierence :P

Bachstelze
September 20th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I don't have a car, but maybe I'll buy a few Tux T-shirts...

sudoer541
September 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM
"OMG it's another LINUX USER those are rare STOP HIM!"

LoL this sounds like national geographic LoL!

Grishka
September 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
what an odd pick-up line. :P

rifak
September 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
so i'm not sure exactly what the business is, but i do know it's some sort of local securities business. and when i say securities, i mean like digital keypads and remote entrance into gates and doors and stuff. so it makes sense why he's looking for some linux support...not only pricing, but securities also.

t0p
September 20th, 2009, 09:56 PM
so i'm not sure exactly what the business is, but i do know it's some sort of local securities business. and when i say securities, i mean like digital keypads and remote entrance into gates and doors and stuff. so it makes sense why he's looking for some linux support...not only pricing, but securities also.

So this guy deals in security products, a business in which security would be a major factor. And he selects a new employee to configure his secure computer system by approaching a stranger with a Linux bumper sticker? Hmm...

Dr. C
September 21st, 2009, 12:10 AM
So this guy deals in security products, a business in which security would be a major factor. And he selects a new employee to configure his secure computer system by approaching a stranger with a Linux bumper sticker? Hmm...

It goes without saying that due diligence by both parties would be appropriate in this case.

infestor
September 21st, 2009, 12:13 AM

wish i had a car...maybe i should put up some stickers on my bike :)

Exodist
September 21st, 2009, 12:20 AM

LOL that kicks butt..

Gota get me a bumper sticker now.. haha..

samjh
September 21st, 2009, 12:31 AM
LoL this sounds like national geographic LoL!

In this city of millions, there lives a very elusive sub-species of Homo Sapiens, called Homo Sapiens Linux Userius. When they occasionally choose to leave the comfort of their computer workstations, they can be distinguished from the more mundane herd of Homo Sapiens by their vehicle's bumper sticker. Note, for example, that specimen who has stopped at the traffic light. See how there is a curious penguin logo attached to the rear of their vehicle. The reasons for their choice of a penguin logo is yet unclear, and is a prominent topic of debate among scientists who study these mysterious and very rare creatures.

:D

sailor2001
September 21st, 2009, 12:42 AM
should everyone get a penguin tattoo on the forehead?

Sporkman
September 21st, 2009, 12:54 AM
My car has a bumper sticker that says "ubuntu".

No job offers yet...

ChrT
September 21st, 2009, 12:57 AM

No job offers yet...

Try a more generic "GNU/Linux" instead. Not many people in the business use, know or care about Ubuntu. :P

rifak
September 21st, 2009, 12:58 AM
Try a more generic "GNU/Linux" instead. Not many people in the business use, know or care about Ubuntu. :P

exactly! haha because the sticker that i have is a penguin with GNU/Linux beside it

Giant Speck
September 21st, 2009, 01:58 AM

I don't want to tattoo anything on my forehead, let alone a penguin.

sudoer541
September 21st, 2009, 04:02 AM
In this city of millions, there lives a very elusive sub-species of Homo Sapiens, called Homo Sapiens Linux Userius. When they occasionally choose to leave the comfort of their computer workstations, they can be distinguished from the more mundane herd of Homo Sapiens by their vehicle's bumper sticker. Note, for example, that specimen who has stopped at the traffic light. See how there is a curious penguin logo attached to the rear of their vehicle. The reasons for their choice of a penguin logo is yet unclear, and is a prominent topic of debate among scientists who study these mysterious and very rare creatures.

sounds very professional wow lol:P
you should also add: Different animals (distros) based on the Linux race, try to eat each other for survival. <----what do you think? LoL :D

sudoer541
September 21st, 2009, 04:04 AM

Yeah the tattoo shall be created on your left hand and your forehead and then you should use that to buy food by scanning it. Does that sound familiar? lol

Megrimn
September 21st, 2009, 04:13 AM
lol don't forget to google him... make sure he's legit...

HappyFeet
September 21st, 2009, 04:18 AM

No, but one on the arm is a good start. (mine, btw)

koshatnik
September 21st, 2009, 10:47 AM
lol:) (http://xkcd.com/178/)

blithen
September 21st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Holy crap epic, I need to start doing that, I need a job!

blithen
September 21st, 2009, 10:56 AM

Oh wow I lol'd hard.

madjr
September 22nd, 2009, 07:21 AM

No job offers yet...

well ubuntu is not really a player in the security, server and/or embeded-thingie fields...but you might get a call from geeksquad in a few years ^^

dang a need an "Ubuntu linux" cap

moster
September 22nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
I don't want to tattoo anything on my forehead, let alone a penguin.

Yes. I too do not want tattooed penguin on my forehead and then switch to Haiku. :D