PDA

View Full Version : artistic license

sudoer541
September 20th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I want to start sampling different songs and I was wondering what License allows me to re sample a song and put my own lyrics to it?

any good licenses for singers? something similar to Linux's gnu general license?
Please post the 3 most popular ones and please post the differences between them.

lovinglinux
September 20th, 2009, 09:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons

sudoer541
September 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons
Thanks a billion!
can you please simplify this like:

You have the right to share, edit... just like the gnu license agreement does etc.

Bios Element
September 20th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks a billion!

You have the right to share, edit... just like the gnu license agreement does etc.

http://creativecommons.org/choose/

lovinglinux
September 20th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks a billion!

Seriously? Just read the info there.

Creative Commons is not a single license, there are several of them, depending on what can and can't be done with the content.

Bölvağur
September 20th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I want to start sampling different songs and I was wondering what License allows me to re sample a song and put my own lyrics to it?

Some of the creative commons licenses... but you do understand that you will have hard time finding songs with that license. And that you are not allowed to take copyrighted music, sample it and put your own license on it.

sudoer541
September 20th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Some of the creative commons licenses... but you do understand that you will have hard time finding songs with that license. And that you are not allowed to take copyrighted music, sample it and put your own license on it.
Thats what I wanted to know, thanks

koshatnik
September 20th, 2009, 10:32 PM

any good licenses for singers? something similar to Linux's gnu general license?
Please post the 3 most popular ones and please post the differences between them.

You are asking two different things.

1) Sampling copyrighted material without permission from the copyright owner is illegal. You will also need to pay to use any sample in your work.

2) Releasing your own material under Creative Commons. This can be done as long as the material is entirely yours own, and contains no sampled copyrighted material.

lisati
September 20th, 2009, 10:39 PM
1) sampling copyrighted material without permission from the copyright owner is illegal. You will also need to pay to use any sample in your work.

+1.

sudoer541
September 21st, 2009, 03:52 AM

1) Sampling copyrighted material without permission from the copyright owner is illegal. You will also need to pay to use any sample in your work.

2) Releasing your own material under Creative Commons. This can be done as long as the material is entirely yours own, and contains no sampled copyrighted material.

1) Its perfectly LEGAL to sample it and publish it, but its ILLEGAL if I try to sell it.

2) I thought creative commons allowed copyrighted material as well, but the material was not intended for sale/profit and commercial use.

*This may vary from country to country*

lovinglinux
September 21st, 2009, 04:30 AM
1) Its perfectly LEGAL to sample it and publish it, but its ILLEGAL if I try to sell it.

No, it's ILLEGAL in most countries. It's not a criminal offense, if there is no profit involved, but it is still a copyright violation and the copyright holder can sue you in a civil court if you publish a sampled material without authorization.

SunnyRabbiera
September 21st, 2009, 04:41 AM
No, it's ILLEGAL in most countries. It's not a criminal offense, if there is no profit involved, but it is still a copyright violation and the copyright holder can sue you in a civil court if you publish a sampled material without authorization.

I think parody and comedy are the only two that might survive copyright nonsense.

lovinglinux
September 21st, 2009, 04:53 AM
I think parody and comedy are the only two that might survive copyright nonsense.

Sometimes not even those. I have published a 2 minutes parody of a TV show on Youtube, to criticize the network (as an unsatisfied costumer) and it was removed due to copyright complains.

Not to mention the case of the mother who was sued because of the YouTube video of her child dancing a copyrighted song.

The sky is the limit for the copyright corporate suits.

Chronon
September 21st, 2009, 05:25 AM

Jamendo has a fair amount of permissively licensed music.

lisati
September 21st, 2009, 05:30 AM

Several of the DVDs I own begin with some kind of blurb that many people probably don't bother reading but often contain something that mentions dire consequences if you broadcast, play in a public place, or edit the material. The wording varies a little but seems to be aimed at discouraging any kind of copying.

Chronon
September 21st, 2009, 05:39 AM

1) True if it's copyright with all rights reserved. If the copyrighted work is released under a permissive license (such as CC-BY) then I have the right to take it and use it intact or modified however I like, provided I abide by the terms of the license. Free software is copyrighted too. Your rights as a user are determined by the terms of license. Permissive licenses are designed to guarantee and make clear the rights of the user.

2) The work you license under your copyright can be licensed with any license that does not conflict with the terms of use of embedded work. If source work uses a CC-BY license then I am free to embed it in any form in my work, so long as I attribute the source material. Some CC licenses invoke a share-alike clause. If I use source material licensed under a CC-BY-SA license then I must release my own derivative work under a consistent license (usually this means also releasing under CC-BY-SA).

Copyright restricts your rights to use creative works by default, but a license can explicitly grant you freedom to use, modify, etc. such works.

lovinglinux
September 21st, 2009, 05:41 AM
Several of the DVDs I own begin with some kind of blurb that many people probably don't bother reading but often contain something that mentions dire consequences if you broadcast, play in a public place, or edit the material. The wording varies a little but seems to be aimed at discouraging any kind of copying.

I think SunnyRabbiera meant parodying the characters or situation portrayed in the content, not the category of content itself. So it could be interpreted as fair use or free speech.

Chronon
September 21st, 2009, 05:55 AM

That's right. Sample all you want if it's for personal use. If you're going to publish someone else's copyrighted work as your own then you're leaving yourself wide open for a lawsuit.

koshatnik
September 21st, 2009, 09:17 AM

Only in US law.

sbrown1992
September 21st, 2009, 09:37 AM
http://www.jamendo.com (http://www.jamendo.com/)
contains a large repository of 'free' [free software style] music

Chronon
September 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM
Yes, I mentioned it already. ;)

sudoer541
September 21st, 2009, 03:22 PM
http://www.jamendo.com (http://www.jamendo.com/)
contains a large repository of 'free' [free software style] music
does this guy make any money?
Can a mainstream singer publish music under CC and make profit?