PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu in Windows Xp Environment

geophil3
September 20th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Hi to all. I'm new here. I have a persistent problem trying to run Ubuntu 9.04 actually and 8.04 before.
Having the intention to migrate into Ubuntu, releasing myself from Microsoft's oppression, I tried to install Wubi into windows Xp as a trial begin with. Despite my multiple efforts it never ran although given as "normally installed". Any Idea to solve the problem?
I as well downloaded and burnt a Cd. Although I'm able to run Ubuntu from the Cd, it,s been till now impossible to install it in a diverse partition on my Computer. The built in partitioner doesn't allow me to create a partition where install Ubuntu.
I' d appreciate a lot any help, thanking you in advance...

mikewhatever
September 20th, 2009, 06:06 PM
What do you mean by 'it never ran'? What happened after you selected Ubuntu at boot? Blank screen? Errors?
Regarding the partitioner, it can only create partitions out of unallocated space. Do you have any?

pdxie
September 20th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hi, I am new to Ubuntu, but have been wanting to leave Windows forever. I've installed Ubuntu 9.04 in four of my family's desktops, and actually booted out the vendor-installed Windows XP Home on a new AcerOne Netbook, replacing it with Ubuntu 9.04. Although I am more or less stuck now with Ubuntu on the Acer One (Can not use the Acer Recovery Manager any more, since it required the original factory partition), I am loving the computing experience on this little netbook. Loads and shuts down fast, practically all apps work nicely on it - Except Skype video and web-cam. Curiously, Ekiga works right off the bat, both audio and video, but I can't video chat on it when I travel with my children in college because they are still on Windows systems and don't have Ekiga.

On my desktops with dual boot for Windows XP and Unbuntu, right now Ubuntu starts automatically unattended, since it is listed first. Until I am totally weaned from Windows, I'd like the dual boot order reversed. Since I am new and not at all familiar with using terminal commands, can some one advise me on how I can change the listing for the dual boot order.

Sorry for a rather long post - this issue was the primary driver for me doing this particular post. I will report on another post about my attempt to fix the Skype web-cam problem. Your help will be very gratefully received!

geophil3
September 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM
1st : Nothing, Black Screen
2nd : When from Cd you select "Install Ubuntu" a built in partitioner opens to create a partition where the new O.s will be installed. As soon as the new partition is created, the system is supposed to continue the installation right there. At a certain point the partitioner prompts to put an answer that can't be found anywhere. So the partition can't be created and the installation is abborted.

mikewhatever
September 20th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Why be vague? Tell us what the prompt says, if not exactly, then at least in your own words.

geophil3
September 20th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I don't remember exactly now what the prompt says. I'm not going to repeat the whole process in order to only to see it again. But as long as I remember it prompts to give the partition some kind of characteristics which can't be found anywhere. I'm sorry I'm not vague. I can't be more specific.
Anyway for the present time I'd be happy if only I was able to run Wubi into Windows. I repeat when I try to boot into Ubuntu the only thing I can see is a black screen with some kind oe cursor flashing. Nevertheless I can normally run Ubuntu from the Cd.
Thanks again for your readiness to meet novices' like me problems, and I appologize if I've had you waste your time...

mikewhatever
September 21st, 2009, 03:43 AM
Sorry I wasn't of much help. Here is some helpful documentation.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot#Manual%20partitioning
If you get stuck with a message you don't understand, write it down or take a screenshot.

Don't worry about waisting someone's time. People are here by choice, volunteering, helping, learning.