PDA

View Full Version : Post one usefull command that must be different from other commands of other posts

colau
September 20th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Hello,

sudo mkdir /media/anydrive
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/anydrive

**Read all posts before posting.
**Command must be different.

SuperSonic4
September 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM
cp -Rvu /mnt/Music /media/backup

Monotoko
September 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM
sudo su

Barrucadu
September 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM
echo `< /dev/urandom tr -cd "[:graph:]" | head -c8`

Password generator.

sisco311
September 20th, 2009, 02:56 PM
notify-send -i ~/.icons/xclock.png \
"$(date +%H:%M)" \
"$(date +%d). $(date +%B) $(date +%Y), $(date +%A)"

RiceMonster
September 20th, 2009, 03:01 PM
yes RiceMonster

colau
September 20th, 2009, 03:29 PM
man man

sisco311
September 20th, 2009, 03:34 PM
sudo apt-get install funny-manpages
man rtfm

Kingsley
September 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Change your mac address.

ifconfig wlan0 down && ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:00 && ifconfig wlan0 up

civillian
September 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM
mount an ISO image:

mkdir -p /mnt/disk
mount -o loop disk1.iso /mnt/disk

Странник
September 20th, 2009, 04:38 PM
uname -a

Shows kernel version and distro

Keith Hedger
September 20th, 2009, 05:49 PM
top -bn1

misfitpierce
September 20th, 2009, 06:09 PM
sensors - Shows cpu temp and sometimes other various items temps

Bachstelze
September 20th, 2009, 06:10 PM
echo usefull | ispell -a

MaxIBoy
September 20th, 2009, 06:25 PM
echo usefull | ispell -aHoly crap, best answer ever!!!

dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.compiz /org/freedesktop/compiz/water/allscreens/point org.freedesktop.compiz.activate string:'root' int32:`xwininfo -root | grep id: | awk '{ print $4 }'` string:'amplitude' double:0.3 string:'x' int32:$WAX string:'y' int32:$WAYSend a dbus event to Compiz, telling it to start a ripple effect at ($WAX, $WAY). I use it in a set of four scripts, which work together to make my network manager applet ripple whenever I get disconnected. Obviously you need Compiz with Dbus and Ripple enabled in order for this to work.

I was going to do this with the battery as well, but met with no success.

schauerlich
September 20th, 2009, 06:52 PM
ssh <username>@<someip>
screen irssi

Keep a session of irssi open on another computer, which you can reattach to when needed, from anywhere. Don't annoy people with part/quit messages. :)

Stan_1936
September 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Useful? HA!

It is HIGHLY unlikely that the AVERAGE user knows what even half the commands in this thread actually do!

This thread is just about as useless as the other threads. Sorry, but that's the way I (someone seeing this thread for the first time) see it!

Joeb454
September 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM
ssh <username>@<someip>
screen irssi

Keep a session of irssi open on another computer, which you can reattach to when needed, from anywhere. Don't annoy people with part/quit messages. :)

Normally I have the server set up in ~/.ssh/config which means I can just do
ssh server
screen -Dr

where server has a port & user listed, key auth is set up, and the irssi session is already there :)

I guess this is just a follow on from your command...

kevdog
September 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM
apt-cache search <package-name>

Help you look for dependencies or packages.

Islington
September 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
nohup <command here>
throws the command out of the terminal, so you can close it.

rsync
highly useful for making a backup copies over things that are different only.

MaxIBoy
September 20th, 2009, 07:10 PM
nohup <command here>throws the command out of the terminal, so you can close it.Isn't it safer to append &disown to the command instead?

earthpigg
September 20th, 2009, 07:11 PM
df -Th -x tmpfs

i have it as an alias for 'dfg' in my .bashrc.

Islington
September 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Isn't it safer to append &disown to the command instead?

possibly but nohup reports all the output in a text file.

MaxIBoy
September 20th, 2009, 07:28 PM
As far as I know, nohup means "no hang-up," and it makes it more difficult to cleanly shut down the process in question, forcing you to use kill -9? I could be entirely wrong here.

diff file1 file2 Show a comparison of file1 with file2. This comes in incredibly handy-- you can even use it to create patches which will apply those differences to some entirely separate file3, assuming file3 is similar enough to file1.

diff -y -B --suppress-common-lines file1 file2This is how I usually call diff. It prints out a side-by-side comparison, ignoring blank lines and only showing lines which have changed. This way of calling it cannot be used for patches, but it is very human-readable. For example, I'm using it here to compare two versions of my kernel .config file:
http://pastebin.com/m5d1aa5dc
You can see that my most recent changes have enabled and disabled a lot of options since I last made a backup copy, and you can see exactly which options were changed.

Yeah, I compile kernels a lot.

colau
September 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM
To rename:

mv file.txt newfilename.txt

the.dark.lord
September 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM
whatis

:)

whatis whatis
whatis (1) - display manual page descriptions

Xbehave
September 21st, 2009, 04:24 PM
apropos <word>
Gives you a list of commands to do with word.

Xbehave
September 21st, 2009, 04:27 PM
touch myself
Check that you have permission to use a file called myself in the current directory
make me giggle

colau
September 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM
sudo aptitude install htop
htop

blackmail
September 21st, 2009, 07:04 PM
Ok some of these commands are quite unused, one usefull command i would want to point out, suppose you have ext3, and want to change to the ext4 filesystem, please use the following:

sudo gedit /etc/fstab
and change every thing that has ext3 to ext4, at reboot it should work properly.
ok some other command that i found usefull are:

sudo su
or

sudo apt-get clean

sudo apt-get autoremove package_name //this removes the package and all its dependencies
If you have an ownership problem, then please do:

chown -R username:username /home //and now all that is in home will be owned by you and you will be able to delete it, the command may not have its parameters in order, i usually look at the man page before using a command and i am not sitting in fromt of a linux box right now.

If you would like to know more about your hdd, and you like the graohical interface type this:

sudo apt-get install gparted
and to view (well there is a place for the menu, but since it is command line)

sudo gparted

SomeGuyDude
September 21st, 2009, 07:22 PM
Hey, I've got a wacky idea. Explain what the commands do, as well. Because some of these look useful, but I can't quite tell what they are.

Exodist
September 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Extracts multiple tape archives in a single folder:

$ find . -name "*.tar" -exec tar -xvf \{\} \;

Greg
September 21st, 2009, 09:02 PM
echo "alias rm=\'rm -i\'" >> ~/.bashrc

Appends an alias to the last line of your bashrc, in this case aliasing rm to rm -i

Xbehave
September 21st, 2009, 11:29 PM
sudo gedit /etc/fstab

sudo gparted
Do not do these, instead use

sudo nano /etc/fstab
sudo parted
or use

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
gksudo gparted

While
sudo sushould be fine, but i believe that this is preferred
sudo -i(something to do with environmental variables)

my new contribution is

pgrep <name> #lists processes named <name> (-l) for names
pkill <name> #kills processes named <name>
killall <name> #same as pkill but not for use on solaris where it will kill everything

blackmail
September 22nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
i have not bothered to use gksu, because it usually does not give an error, and oh well i don't like nano, so in my opinion they are better, any way for me, but nice suggestions.

wojox
September 22nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
Limit Bandwidth:

sudo apt-get -o Acquire::http::Dl-Limit=25 upgrade

Xbehave
September 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
i have not bothered to use gksu, because it usually does not give an error, and oh well i don't like nano, so in my opinion they are better, any way for me, but nice suggestions.
I've never run into problems, but I've read (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo) that bad stuff can happen, but hey if it works it works :D. Under su systems you definitely need to use kdesu/gtksu "guicommand" instead of su -c "gui command".

anyway my command(s) of the day

pgrep ktorrent
ionice -c 3 -p <PID>
renice +20 <PID>
use pgrep to get pids of resource intensive programs and make the nice and only touch the disk in the background
(points unbtbu (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7989742#post7989742), for 1 lining it)

and the reverse

pgrep mplayer
sudo ionice -c 1 -p <PID>
sudo renice -5 <PID>
(again points for unbtbu (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7989742#post7989742))

unutbu
September 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
PID=$(pgrep ktorrent); ionice -c 3 -p "$PID" renice +20 "$PID"
PID=$(pgrep mplayer); sudo ionice -c 1 -p "$PID"; sudo renice -5 "$PID"

kaibob
October 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM
The following command takes a screenshot of the window that has the focus and saves it with a date-and-time file name. This command differs in that it does not require that the user manually select the window.

scrot --focus --border '%m.%d.%y at %H.%M.%S.png'

This only works with the version of scrot available in Karmic Koala. You can download a deb to install this version of scrot at:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/scrot/0.8-10/+build/1053371

I wrote a script that does the same thing with the Imagemagick import utility, but it is substantially slower.

KhaaL
October 10th, 2009, 06:42 PM
aptitude show pkg

...i know i'm a noob :P

afeasfaerw23231233
October 10th, 2009, 06:43 PM
find /data/bittorent/ -size -500k -type f | while read FILENAME; do rm "$FILENAME"; done

Some good guys in this forum told me earlier this week to delete useless advertising files from torrent downloads.

Xbehave
October 10th, 2009, 07:10 PM
find /data/bittorent/ -size -500k -type f | while read FILENAME; do rm "$FILENAME"; done

Some good guys in this forum told me earlier this week to delete useless advertising files from torrent downloads.
if the torrent is still running they will be re added or if a song is ~5seconds long (depends on encoding) you will delete it.

new command:

dmesg | tail
shows you the last few system messages (useful if your laptop breaks when you move and you want to see what broke)

afeasfaerw23231233
October 14th, 2009, 06:19 PM
if the torrent is still running they will be re added or if a song is ~5seconds long (depends on encoding) you will delete it.

Thanks for the advice. But I only do it when the downloading has been finished.