PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't access a shared Windows folder

litlfrog
September 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I just set up a new share on our WinXP computer. When I go Places -> Network on the Ubuntu machine, I can see the new directory just fine, but when I double-click to open the folder it keeps asking for a password. I hadn't set up password access for that folder and don't even see a way to change such an option. Can someone tell me what might be going on here? Thank you.

badger_fruit
September 20th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I just set up a new share on our WinXP computer. When I go Places -> Network on the Ubuntu machine, I can see the new directory just fine, but when I double-click to open the folder it keeps asking for a password. I hadn't set up password access for that folder and don't even see a way to change such an option. Can someone tell me what might be going on here? Thank you.

I presume you have tried to enter the username Administrator (or whatever you set up on your windows machine) and left the password blank?

litlfrog
September 20th, 2009, 03:25 PM
This makes NO sense--sorry for the false alarm. I can access the file fine now. I didn't change anything on the system, didn't even log off and back on, but now it doesn't ask for a password when I go to that directory.