PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Nothing works after attempted Ubuntu install

Paulish
September 20th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I had Windows 7 installed on my ASUS N51 Series notebook and decided I would add Ubuntu on also. I re partitioned the hard drive and then installed Ubuntu on the ext4 partition I had just created.

When I go to boot up I get my bios screen and after that all I get is a blinking "_" character in the upper left hand corner of my screen. I assumed that something got mixed up with the boot loaders or something and so I put in my Ubuntu live CD and try to boot from it, but still all I get when I select the CD drive from my bios (bios seems fine) device boot menu is the flashing "_". I get the same thing when I try to boot from my Windows 7 install disk. This has got me a little concerned because I don't want my laptop to be useless. Any ideas about what may have happened?

EDIT: I was trying to install Ubuntu 9.04

EDIT2: If I remove the HD I can boot into the live CD, but the partition editor cannot detect my device when I put it back in.

Paulish
September 20th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I was able to solve this problem by removing the hard drive and connecting it to another functioning computer, then deleting all partitions from it.