PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Minimal install: accessing applications

jhsu802701
September 20th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I tried the default Xubuntu installation but found it to be too slow. So now I'm trying a minimal installation (initially command line system).

What package(s) do I need to be able to access Synaptic and other applications when I download? I installed xfce4 (for the GUI) and xorg, but right-clidking the mouse on the desktop doesn't show the full menu of programs.

I'm going to try jwm next because it's even lighter-weight than XFCE. What package(s) do I need to install in order to access Synaptic, web browsers, Synaptic, etc.?

Partyboi2
September 20th, 2009, 05:16 AM
To install synaptic

sudo apt-get install synaptic
For web browsers it all depends on which one you want to use
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems#Browsers

jhsu802701
September 20th, 2009, 02:50 PM
After I install a window manager, Synaptic, a web browser, terminal program, etc., how do I access these things from the GUI?

Partyboi2
September 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM
It all depends on what Desktop you have installed. What Desktop are you using?

jhsu802701
September 21st, 2009, 04:22 AM
OK, I reinstalled Xubuntu in the minimal command-line installation. I downloaded and installed the following packages: idesk, xorg, jwm, menu, slim, synaptic, and seamonkey-browser.

My questions:
1. How do I shut down the computer? JWM -> Exit gets me from the GUI back to command line. I tried "sudo shutdown 0", but that seemed to reboot rather than shut down.
2. How do I get Synaptic to download and install packages? For some reason, the sudo permissions aren't getting through, and I can only search and read the package descriptions.

Partyboi2
September 21st, 2009, 05:59 AM
1. How do I shut down the computer? JWM -> Exit gets me from the GUI back to command line. I tried "sudo shutdown 0", but that seemed to reboot rather than shut down.

From the terminal try

sudo shutdown -h now

2. How do I get Synaptic to download and install packages? For some reason, the sudo permissions aren't getting through, and I can only search and read the package descriptions.
Are you able to install a package from the terminal?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install package
Can you post the outputs from the terminal when you try to install a package.

jhsu802701
September 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
I ended up having to install and enter XFCE just so I could properly shut down the computer. In XFCE, I have menu access to the Seamonkey application I downloaded, but the menu doesn't show Synaptic anywhere. Also, once I minimize the Seamonkey window in XFCE, it completely disappears.

Is there a forum somewhere specifically dedicated to minimal Ubuntu/Xubuntu installations? I know that I'm missing some critical packages for XFCE, JWM, and fluxbox (the window managers I have installed).