PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] XP wont boot after ubuntu installed

flairtorc
September 20th, 2009, 04:19 AM
i have spent a lot of time looking at all the solutions for this posted by everyone....and none of them have ever worked..i'm 6 hours into this and i just want it to work...my issue is that when i turn on my comp, go down and hit Windows XP Professional as boot location, it gets past the starting screen..but the instant the windows loading screen pops up right after that...it reboots..i have gone through F8 and tried every boot method and none have worked...i am in dire need of help:(

Partyboi2
September 20th, 2009, 04:35 AM
If you have a Windows disk try booting it and choosing the recovery console option, then at the prompt type

fixboot

flairtorc
September 20th, 2009, 04:38 AM
ok ill try that and tell you what happens

bumanie
September 20th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Go into console mode of xp and type FIXBOOT followed by FIXMBR. You will then have to reinstall grub. Follow this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351).

flairtorc
September 20th, 2009, 04:43 AM
didn't work...and to bumanie, didn't work because if i try any start up mode even all the ones after pressing F8 it will restart imediatly after i hit it..as in...any startup mode for Windows XP Profesional leads to reboot

so....anymore ideas?....a lot i've already tried as my subject post states

swerdna
September 20th, 2009, 04:54 AM
boot off of the xp install cd, go to the end and select to "R" for Repair instead of to install. Log as administrator. Run this command:
chkdsk c: /fOnce for me that fixed the exact same situation as you have.

flairtorc
September 20th, 2009, 04:57 AM
don't have the cd...don't know where my dad puts them all...and i usually know where everything in this house is

bumanie
September 20th, 2009, 05:12 AM
What I was suggesting also was meant to be done from the xp installation cd - sorry if that was not clear. Before you can fix xp, you will need the installation cd where, as the post above says, you need to choose the repair function. You will have to get the cd from your father. You could try super grub disk - it can re-write windows compatible boot sectors, but xp installation is the best way to go if you can get hold of the installation cd.

flairtorc
September 20th, 2009, 05:16 AM
again...i don't have the installation disks

flairtorc
September 20th, 2009, 06:21 AM
ok..i found a disc, got it to boot...logged in...but explorer process starts...then restarts...over and over again...i could even see it happening on the task manager...does anyone know how to fix this one by chance..

also when i log in i instantly get an error saying that a process isn't running asking me to terminate or debug, which neither do anything and no matter which i press i always get the restart loop of explorer

Partyboi2
September 20th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Try running 'sfc /scannow' to verify their integrity of the windows files.
Start>Run
sfc /scannow Otherwise you may need to ask on a Windows support forum.

flairtorc
September 20th, 2009, 06:40 AM
the explorer isn't there long enough for me to click anything...it's chaotic....would safe mode alow me to do it?

Partyboi2
September 20th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Try it and see.

flairtorc
September 20th, 2009, 07:13 AM
well it was tricky...but i got it....it scanned...then i started the explorer process afterwards...worked for about 30 seconds...also i forgot to include that another process called dwwin also restart loops along with explorer..they are the only two..so...the scan didn't work

Partyboi2
September 20th, 2009, 07:49 AM
You could try a repair installation if you are comfortable doing one.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm
After wards you will probably need to restore grub (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351) using a Ubuntu live cd to be able to boot into Ubuntu.

If that does not work I would suggest starting a thread on one of the Windows forums about the problem to see if you can avoid having to reinstall Windows.

oboedad55
September 20th, 2009, 08:04 AM
You could try a repair installation if you are comfortable doing one.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm
After wards you will probably need to restore grub (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351) using a Ubuntu live cd to be able to boot into Ubuntu.

If that does not work I would suggest starting a thread on one of the Windows forums about the problem to see if you can avoid having to reinstall Windows.

Man, I looked at the first of those repair pages. And people say Linux is complicated? "Find your 25-digit code". Makes me shudder.

Partyboi2
September 20th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Man, I looked at the first of those repair pages. And people say Linux is complicated? "Find your 25-digit code". Makes me shudder.
You haven't memorized your 25 digit code yet :p

flairtorc
September 20th, 2009, 09:48 PM
sorry..i kinda fell asleep..working on the problem for about 6 hours kinda ate my day aways, the original problem is fixed, but the loop of explorer and dwwin processes came up, and a sfc /scannow didn't fix it, i'm kinda at a loss for ideas, and most of you can probably guess this didn't start till after i installed ubuntu

flairtorc
September 20th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Hold the phone everything works now seeing as i am posting this from my windows side, i just did the scan twice and everything works grand, thanks Partyboi2 for the help :)