View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downloads on Dial-up Keep Failing

September 20th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I'm using dial-up, I know it's slower than death, but there's no need for it to be behaving the way it is.

No matter what I'm doing, whether it's opening a webpage, or downloading a file, the download almost always fails and it's getting annoying. It doesn't matter if I use wget or a GUI, it fails. If I load ubuntuforums on Firefox, the page never finishes loading. I have to use the speedier Opera just to log on before it gives up.

I have modem lights and net usage monitors, and what happens is, it'll be downloading fine, then all of a sudden, the download will just stop, my modem just stops doing anything. The graph dies and goes to 0. Then it might start up again in a few seconds, it might not (depends on whether the source kicked me off for inactivity). I can't understand what's going on.

I know dial-up is bad, but I never had these problems on Windows. It was slow, but it was an old faithful modem and got the job done. I don't mind slow downloading, but the constant stops and starts are driving me nuts. Downloading even small files is nearly impossible. I can't use firefox to browse half the webpages I go on.

I wish I knew how to get my modem working right, but I'm thinking it's impossible! :(