PDA

View Full Version : AWN vs Cairo Dock?

larky
September 20th, 2009, 02:48 AM
What's most popular/best, as I have never installed either.

Will try in a few days when time permits but generally wanted to have a good first impression hence this thread.

Any input appreciated. :popcorn:

nobodysbusiness
September 20th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Gnome-do has a dock as well.

Tipped OuT
September 20th, 2009, 02:52 AM
AWN for stability

Cairo Dock for customization.

Choose your pick.

pt123
September 20th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Gnome-Do's Docky
so powerful

hoppipolla
September 20th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I never use a dock really but... I have seen staggering things come out of both of these.

I'm curious to see which wins :)

falconindy
September 20th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Having used both AWN and Cairo Dock, I vote for Docky.

SomeGuyDude
September 20th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Unless Cairo got a LOT better in the last few months, AWN hands down. Yeah Cairo can do the parabolic zoom and has a lot of options, but it's seriously not that great overall.

gnomeuser
September 20th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I tried both the listed options but found them hard to configure and unelegant. Gnome-do's Docky frontend however works like a charm and adds some crazy powerful tools to the dock space.

hobo14
September 20th, 2009, 06:04 AM
DockBarX is nice:

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/DockbarX?content=101604

Using it now.

fabounet
September 21st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Glx-Dock 2.1 for speed, customizability, stability, features, and eye-candy.
AWN for the rest ^_^

stwschool
September 21st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Docky for me. Looks nice, functions well and just seems more polished than the other 2. My only concern is a tendency to lock up from time to time.

Slug71
September 21st, 2009, 03:01 PM
Gnome-do - Docky

samthehobbit
October 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I've AWN on my home PC - its good but I get some crazy vertical lines when it loads and sometimes when it redraws.

I've been using Cairo on my lappy but on the ATI card the visuals aren't so flash (especially the transparency). Also another problem is when I come out of suspend and connect to a secondary monitor (I do this a few times a day at work) my dock for some reason sits halfway down the screen until I restart it. However I do love the sub-dock feature. Not something I'd ever used before but probably my favourite Cairo feature.

I've just installed docky and from what I have seen it might be a keeper.

Exodist
October 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I never use a dock really but... I have seen staggering things come out of both of these.

I'm curious to see which wins :)

same here

rivenathos
October 9th, 2009, 10:09 AM
GNOME Do - Docky. Seriously, give it a try.

stwschool
October 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Docky for me. Always seems much more responsive and better looking too. The only downer is it is a little bit crashy at times.

NCLI
October 9th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Where's Gnome-DO??

gjoellee
October 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I prefer AWN, but Cario Dock has more eye candy.

Sand & Mercury
October 9th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Docky creams them both.

I liked Kiba Dock too, when it was still in development. Too bad it died.

treesurf
October 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Another fan of Docky here.

It looks like the winner so far isn't even in the poll!

sudoer541
October 9th, 2009, 06:24 PM
you forgot to add gnome do aka docky

punchdrunkgrunt
October 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM
The consensus seems to be cairo dock for eye candy and AWN for everything else. I have to disagree. The option to create sub-docks adds a lot of functionality to cairo dock, and it's useful to be able to put it at any edge of the screen (my dock lives at the top). I always had problems with AWN losing launchers - it's OK with apps but linking to scripts seems to confuse it. It's true, though, that cairo dock can be trickier to get up and running, but once you're there it's a better product.

Giant Speck
October 12th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Cairo Dock hands down.

And to everyone else who keeps saying the OP forgot to mention Docky, that isn't the purpose of the poll. The purpose of the poll is to determine the better of the two docks, not find the best dock.

Rogue dog
October 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Gnome Do was'nt added because it uses MONO (patent land mine)

The most stable dock for me is Daisy-corolla, it just does not break.

Hetor
October 16th, 2009, 02:06 PM
AWN keeps automatically adding strange unknown applets to the dock, cairo dock is pain to set up plus I don't like it. At the moment I use dockbarx.