PDA

View Full Version : Dell has new computer with 9.04

Georgia boy
September 20th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Hi. Was telling my sister about the laptops on Dell with Ubuntu already installed. Went to the site to verify something and saw that now they have a new one with Ubuntu 9.04 installed on it. Thought I would let you know in case you haven't been there for awhile. Go check it out. Still trying to get the "boss" convinced that it would be good to have a laptop. But you know how that goes.:wink: Maybe someday, but for now I'm having to stick with desktop of mine. Better than nothing. Shoot, by the time I get one they'll have one on their site with the latest LTS on it.:D

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Well, just thought I would let everyone know in case they haven't been there in awhile so they could check it out and see what they think.

Have a great weekend!!!!!

Tom

winjeel
September 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I don't know which one you mean, but WOW! Mini 10v for USD$300! That's awesome! Perfect for my work and study. I must get to electronic stores more often... hang on, I already do, just to the camera section. :D

winjeel
September 20th, 2009, 08:53 AM
One question, what's "SATA" and "solid state"? I live in Japan, and so such information in English is never available. I guess though, that solid state is like CF memory cards, but not in that shape, of course.

danielpop
September 20th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Yes, SSDs (solid state drive) are storage devices that have no moving parts, thus are much quicker. The downside is that the more you fill it, the slower it gets.

SATA is simply a more advanced interface (connector) to the regular, moving-parts, HDD.

winjeel
September 20th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Yes, SSDs (solid state drive) are storage devices that have no moving parts, thus are much quicker. The downside is that the more you fill it, the slower it gets.

SATA is simply a more advanced interface (connector) to the regular, moving-parts, HDD.

Cheers. :)

3rdalbum
September 20th, 2009, 09:46 AM

SATA is a faster, more advanced interface than IDE. It's not limited to connecting HDDs; you can connect SSDs and optical drives with it as well. It can even be used to connect external storage devices, in the form of eSATA.

Georgia boy
September 21st, 2009, 02:34 AM
I was talking about this one: Studio XPS 13. It has 9.04 listed on it. Looks good. Seems like Dell is doing all it can to help the Ubuntu users in producing the laptops with the latest and greatest? Shoot, by the time I can convince the "boss" that I can use both the desktop and a laptop maybe they'll have one with the newest LTS installed on it.

:)

Tom

sudoer541
September 21st, 2009, 04:11 AM
I was talking about this one: Studio XPS 13. It has 9.04 listed on it. Looks good. Seems like Dell is doing all it can to help the Ubuntu users in producing the laptops with the latest and greatest? Shoot, by the time I can convince the "boss" that I can use both the desktop and a laptop maybe they'll have one with the newest LTS installed on it.

:)

Tom
will Dell upgrade their computers to 9.10? There is only ~1~ month left for 9.10 to be released. I think its pointless if they sell their PCs with 9.04 because the servers on synaptic will be shut down so people may not get the latest software or they may not get software at all. right?
If not I am sure they will upgrade to 10.04 LTS.

PhilGil
September 21st, 2009, 04:16 AM
I think its pointless if they sell their PCs with 9.04 because the servers on synaptic will be shut down so people may not get the latest software or they may not get software at all. right?
9.04 is supported Until October 2010, so new users won't have to upgrade right away.

sudoer541
September 21st, 2009, 04:21 AM
9.04 is supported Until October 2010, so new uses won't have to upgrade right away.
what about new users who are new to ubuntu, they dont know all that 6 moth release cycle and LTS etc. However that made sense.

mikewhatever
September 21st, 2009, 04:43 AM
You can remind Dell at http://www.ideastorm.com.

hellmet
September 21st, 2009, 04:49 AM
what about new users who are new to ubuntu, they dont know all that 6 moth release cycle and LTS etc. However that made sense.
I'm sure Dell notifies buyers of this, and moreoever buyers of Ubuntu PCs from Dell, I'm sure know something about Ubuntu already.
And, if I'm not wrong, ubuntu still sends security updates even for unsupported (outdated) releases.

SunnyRabbiera
September 21st, 2009, 04:54 AM
If I want in such financial crap I would get the Inspiron 15n

Georgia boy
September 21st, 2009, 01:32 PM
I have a question about how Dell sets them up. Do they automatically set up the /home or does a person do that when they get the laptop? how about the settings such as region, the name of it if you use one and password for log on? I just got to thinking about those things and wonder how everything is set up for you. Or does it come to you like a Windows OS?

Tom

coldReactive
September 21st, 2009, 02:07 PM
299 for that little guy?

I got a Toshiba NB205 Sable Brown for 389 USD with Windows XP (now gone, and reinstalled with my own Home Edition.) It has a 1.66 GHz Atom processor (Dual Core), 667 MHz Bus, 1 GB RAM (Now 2 GB - 50 USD), spaced keyboard, 7 hour battery life on a 6 cell, etc.

Granted, it has no CD/DVD Drive, I bought one extra (80 USD) because debian can't install via USB Stick (I got a 10 USD 2 GB Stick for this netbook) no matter what I try (always says it's the wrong disc, blah blah.)

All in all, I paid a pretty penny. Still goes slow at times even with that new RAM. It gets EXTREMELY HOT (even has a warning on the bottom) on the bottom, over 110 degrees.

In Karmic, my Toshiba NB205 should have wifi working out-of-box, but sound (pulseaudio has only headphone sound, and OSS has full sound working), hibernate, battery drainage (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/110784) (kernel problem, Windows doesn't have this problem) has to all be fixed manually.

hobo14
September 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
But even then, they are faster than HDD.

And, don't forget HDDs also slow down as they fill up: slower rotational speed for the less preferred inner cylinders.

mikewhatever
September 23rd, 2009, 02:13 AM
299 for that little guy?

I got a Toshiba NB205 Sable Brown for 389 USD with Windows XP (now gone, and reinstalled with my own Home Edition.) It has a 1.66 GHz Atom processor (Dual Core), 667 MHz Bus, 1 GB RAM (Now 2 GB - 50 USD), spaced keyboard, 7 hour battery life on a 6 cell, etc.

Granted, it has no CD/DVD Drive, I bought one extra (80 USD) because debian can't install via USB Stick (I got a 10 USD 2 GB Stick for this netbook) no matter what I try (always says it's the wrong disc, blah blah.)

All in all, I paid a pretty penny. Still goes slow at times even with that new RAM. It gets EXTREMELY HOT (even has a warning on the bottom) on the bottom, over 110 degrees.

In Karmic, my Toshiba NB205 should have wifi working out-of-box, but sound (pulseaudio has only headphone sound, and OSS has full sound working), hibernate, battery drainage (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/110784) (kernel problem, Windows doesn't have this problem) has to all be fixed manually.

So, to summarize, you bought a vaguely supported computer, payed extra for Windows, and now want to run Ubuntu on it. Do you enjoy handling difficult projects? Not the brightest choice, but congratulations.

coldReactive
September 23rd, 2009, 03:00 AM
So, to summarize, you bought a vaguely supported computer, payed extra for Windows, and now want to run Ubuntu on it. Do you enjoy handling difficult projects? Not the brightest choice, but congratulations.

Of course I don't enjoy handling them, I have such a difficult time, I end up throwing stuff around and whatnot, etc. I'm not a good candidate for any kind of job, that's why I'm on Supplemental Security Income. Should've held off on the netbook to be honest. Still has Windows on it, my own home edition, mainly because of those problems, but even more so is that I don't like configuring my router manually.