PDA

View Full Version : Which to install.. Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 6 or Windows 7?

gymophett
September 20th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I have both the Ubuntu and Windows 7 cd's in front of me at the moment. Which should I install? Should I install Windows 7 running Ubuntu via virtualbox or vice versa? Thank you.

hoppipolla
September 20th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I dunno man depends what you want from an OS :)

Personally, I would dual boot :)

nowin4me
September 20th, 2009, 02:28 AM
...Your asking a Ubuntu forum.

I would say Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 6 it need's as much help as it can get!
Windows 7 has finished it's BETA stages and it's just going into production while Ubuntu 9.10 is still being developed.

chriskin
September 20th, 2009, 02:31 AM
in windows 7 i didn't find anything new (worthy at least)
in ubuntu 9.10 i got my camera working (it does't work on windows 7)

so i give a point to ubuntu

gymophett
September 20th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I dont have my hard drives partitioned correctly. I have 2 partitions. One is a shared one. The other is a Windows Vista one. Should I shrink the Windows Vista one. Make an Ubuntu partition. Then dual boot?

gymophett
September 20th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Also. Is Ubuntu Alpha 6 stable enough yet? When beta is released, do I just do an upgrade or do I have to reinstall all over again?

hoppipolla
I dont have my hard drives partitioned correctly. I have 2 partitions. One is a shared one. The other is a Windows Vista one. Should I shrink the Windows Vista one. Make an Ubuntu partition. Then dual boot?

Would you rather have Vista than 7 on there?

Also. Is Ubuntu Alpha 6 stable enough yet? When beta is released, do I just do an upgrade or do I have to reinstall all over again?

I don't think it will be AMAZINGLY stable...

It should all upgrade fine though :)

If it were me I'd just use Jaunty!

chriskin

that sounds good enough, but i would propose defragmenting first. shrinking would take a lot less time if you defragment vista.

also, vista has a known bug of messing up icons after shrinking. it hasn't happened to me but i have seen it happening more than once in other computers - watch out for this one

NormanFLinux
September 20th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I'd wait til next month to install Karmic Koala. The alpha still has bugs in it.

Bigtime_Scrub
September 20th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Why compromise? Just dual boot. I would install Windows 7 and wait until karmic is released and then I would it install that side by side.

hoppipolla
September 20th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Why compromise? Just dual boot. I would install Windows 7 and wait until karmic is released and then I would it install that side by side.

Actually yeah maybe waiting for Karmic would be good as opposed to putting Jaunty on there, as for one thing then you would get ext4, which is something I missed out on by going for Jaunty.

gymophett
September 20th, 2009, 02:53 AM
But I'm a person who likes to test! :) I'm not patient enough either.
So I'll do all the partitioning tonight, Install Karmic on one partition, then tomorrow, upgrade to Windows 7 on my Vista partition. Sounds good! :D

hoppipolla
September 20th, 2009, 02:58 AM
But I'm a person who likes to test! :) I'm not patient enough either.
So I'll do all the partitioning tonight, Install Karmic on one partition, then tomorrow, upgrade to Windows 7 on my Vista partition. Sounds good! :D

Good bet :)

Just be careful with ol' Karmic! Hope it works for you ^_^

HappyFeet
September 20th, 2009, 03:13 AM
as for one thing then you would get ext4, which is something I missed out on by going for Jaunty.

If you do manual partition, ext4 is one of the options in jaunty. ;)

purgatori
September 20th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I don't really understand the dilemma.... but if you play games on your PC, then installing Windows 7 and running Ubuntu on top of it probably makes more sense than going the other way.

hoppipolla
September 20th, 2009, 03:15 AM
If you do manual partition, ext4 is one of the options in jaunty. ;)

I tried that, but I really didn't see the option. I could have been missing something but I'm fairly sure ext4 in Ubuntu is new for Karmic.

HappyFeet
September 20th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Also. Is Ubuntu Alpha 6 stable enough yet?

I'm using it right now with no problems yet, but you never know. But I have 2 drives going, one with jaunty (production) and the other karmic (testing/bug reporting). I would wait until the beta comes out then do a clean install if I were you.

HappyFeet
September 20th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I tried that, but I really didn't see the option. I could have been missing something but I'm fairly sure ext4 in Ubuntu is new for Karmic.

Yes, you did miss it, because I'm using ext4 in jaunty.

hoppipolla
September 20th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Yes, you did miss it, because I'm using ext4 in jaunty.

Damn! I would have used that lol

HappyFeet
September 20th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Here's my fstab in jaunty:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'vol_id --uuid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=66dacb76-4b2a-4025-90a1-e9a8a56a428b / ext4 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=ff877344-ca9f-4113-b217-8cbc5cf62a4f none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

HappyFeet
September 20th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Damn! I would have used that lol

You missed out on the extra speed and efficiency. :P That, with 64bit, is unbeatable.

hoppipolla
September 20th, 2009, 03:28 AM
You missed out on the extra speed and efficiency. :P That, with 64bit, is unbeatable.

Don't worry I don't think I'm gonna lose sleep or anything xD

Would have been nice to have though :)

gymophett
September 20th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Don't worry I don't think I'm gonna lose sleep or anything xD

Would have been nice to have though :)

You can actually convert to EXT4 after installing Jaunty. I did previously. Google it.

stmiller
September 20th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I wouldn't use ext4 on anything less than a 2.6.30 kernel.

misfitpierce
September 20th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Depends how much you choose to use windows apps over Ubuntu apps. Honestly there is an app for everything in Ubuntu, no slow down from malware and or viruses/spyware/adware... and easier to maintain ubuntu. So Ubuntu has better infrastructure but windows is needed by some people reliant upon windows apps and/or games. I dont know how reliant you are on those. If not then I say vice versa with Ubuntu as main OS and dual booting win7 or virtual machining Win7.

Exodist
September 20th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I would go with Ubuntu 9.10alpha6 and help test the distro. Mind you its going to be unstable but testing it and submitting every little issue and bug you find helps us all and it also can be self rewarding when 9.10 comes out rock stable.

But if you want to test Win7 then all your doing is helping capitalist billionaires get more rich while us less then financially gifted keep getting poorer. Yes I know Mark has plenty of cash but hes not greedy like that ******* Steve Ballmer.

So it boils down to moral. Ubuntu or M$.

Bucky Ball
September 20th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Alpha 6 not stable. Karmic is testing, not released yet. If you want your system to break with updates (and sometimes get fixed) and report your adventure then go for it.

If you want a stable system then 8.04 LTS (rock solid) or 9.04 (getting there).

Woormy
September 20th, 2009, 04:10 AM
But if you want to test Win7 then all your doing is helping capitalist billionaires get more rich while us less then financially gifted keep getting poorer. Yes I know Mark has plenty of cash but hes not greedy like that ******* Steve Ballmer.

So it boils down to moral. Ubuntu or M$.

By that thinking he should install Ubuntu, but not on a computer because computer companies are run by capitalist billionaires.

Exodist
September 20th, 2009, 04:34 AM
By that thinking he should install Ubuntu, but not on a computer because computer companies are run by capitalist billionaires.
I have my Ubuntu running on a cornflake box.. :-)

Sad but true you are just as right. But to the best of my knowledge I have never read anything about the CEO at biostar, amd, coolermaster, PNY or creative labs ever choking a worker out because they put in a two week notice. Mind you I have no issues with Steve Jobs, but Steve Ballmer is just a rich fat disgusting pig that hell will have to construct a special place for when he dies. I also have no issues with Bill Gates, mind you he is just a spokemen for M$ now and not the CEO.

If you support windows you support this fatass with the tung sticking out!
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u46168/ballmer.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.maximumpc.com/tags/steve_ballmer&h=400&w=660&sz=45&tbnid=XFiDJ97wMzczuM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=138&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsteve%2Bballmer&usg=__qOY9PLSmFtHd5rfovH3OuFuIJSI=&ei=6aK1SqnbNamw8QaP0MmTDw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=7&ct=image