PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing ubuntu from an external disc drive

dono1
September 20th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I am trying to install ubuntu 9.04 onto my laptop from an external disc drive. Under the computer settings it is set to boot from a usb drive because that is how the disc drive connects. It seems to work, I choose the language and click install, then the disc drive stops running a loading bar comes up and then after a while i get a bunch of error messages. Why is it having problems installing from the disc drive when it has no problem getting to the initial menu.

raymondh
September 21st, 2009, 01:00 AM
I am trying to install ubuntu 9.04 onto my laptop from an external disc drive. Under the computer settings it is set to boot from a usb drive because that is how the disc drive connects. It seems to work, I choose the language and click install, then the disc drive stops running a loading bar comes up and then after a while i get a bunch of error messages. Why is it having problems installing from the disc drive when it has no problem getting to the initial menu.

Kindly share/post the error messages.

Thanks

hambone79
September 21st, 2009, 01:04 AM
If you continue to have problems with the external drive and you have a USB jump drive laying around, you may want to consider creating a bootable jump drive using UNetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/). I have used this trick several times when dealing with laptops that have a flaky or non-existent CD/DVD-ROM.

dono1
September 24th, 2009, 04:43 PM
i solved the problem by installing an earlier version. it worked just fine.