PDA

View Full Version : I met rms!

dragos240
September 19th, 2009, 11:24 PM
This is pretty cool (for me at least). I got to meet Richard Stallman! And he did a nice speech. Yay! Oh, and I got a Domo Kun plush.

RATM_Owns
September 19th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Awesome. :D

schauerlich
September 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Did he offer you his toe cheese?

PurposeOfReason
September 19th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I'm sorry.

Bachstelze
September 19th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I see nothing good coming out of this thread...

ChrT
September 19th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Awesome! I've yet to see any of the great founders of the Free Software movement live.

schauerlich
September 19th, 2009, 11:34 PM

Probably some lulz.

Paqman
September 19th, 2009, 11:37 PM

Better close it then, just in case.

tjwoosta
September 19th, 2009, 11:37 PM
This is pretty cool (for me at least). I got to meet Richard Stallman! And he did a nice speech. Yay! Oh, and I got a Domo Kun plush.

Thats awesome, where was this?

dragos240
September 19th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Oh, and he signed my shirt! ^.^. Anyways, I'm back. This was in boston. It's pretty cool. I got to ask him questions :). I asked him if he thought hurd was going somewhere. He said that he thinks it will go nowhere and there is too much to do.

Paqman
September 19th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I asked him if he thought hurd was going somewhere. He said that he thinks it will go nowhere and there is too much to do.

Seriously? Wow. I had him down as having his head in the sand about that.

MikeTheC
September 19th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I know it's not as cool, but I've email contact with him before.

He seems personable enough.

Mmm... toe cheese...

:P

Heh heh heh... "...nothing good coming out of this thread..." Oh, pal, you don't know the half of it. ;)

schauerlich
September 19th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Oh, and he signed my shirt! ^.^. Anyways, I'm back. This was in boston. It's pretty cool. I got to ask him questions :). I asked him if he thought hurd was going somewhere. He said that he thinks it will go nowhere and there is too much to do.

Was the pen of sufficient freedom for him? Or was in vendor locked-in with crazy glue?

sudoer541
September 19th, 2009, 11:55 PM
eewwww please close this....cheese toes....eeewwww!!!!

Viva
September 19th, 2009, 11:56 PM
That sounds awesome. Well done dragos.

schauerlich
September 19th, 2009, 11:56 PM

The rest of the cafe is that way --->

dragos240
September 19th, 2009, 11:57 PM

Don't be picky! :lolflag:

bodyharvester
September 20th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Don't be picky! :lolflag:
picking cheesy toes?

on topic, however, how come i never hear about people like him in the UK? is there no one of such importance in the UK?

p_quarles
September 20th, 2009, 12:03 AM
picking cheesy toes?

on topic, however, how come i never hear about people like him in the UK? is there no one of such importance in the UK?
I believe that the UK equivalent would be Elizabeth II.

MikeTheC
September 20th, 2009, 12:06 AM

Well...

The Brits have Shakespeare and Churchill, I suppose. Isn't that good enough?

Keyper7
September 20th, 2009, 12:09 AM

I saw a RMS seminar once and he gave the impression that, in his vision, Linux is the kernel that filled the void the GNU project had and this is not going to change anytime soon. He didn't refer to Linux as a temporary solution or anything. I'd say he pretty much accepted Hurd's condition as eternal vaporware.

As a side note, despite some FSF wrongdoings I don't agree with, he seemed like a quite nice guy and very accessible. And without a doubt he is a very good speaker.

sudoer541
September 20th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I like cheese but not toes lol

unfortunately am very picky and everyone says that.

bodyharvester
September 20th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Well...

The Brits have Shakespeare and Churchill, I suppose. Isn't that good enough?

i meant computer stuff, linux(y) in particular, all of the famous computer geeks (free software sorts) i can think of right now are in America, and i wouldn't travel that far to meet someone to say thanks and buy a beer for

p_quarles
September 20th, 2009, 12:18 AM
i meant computer stuff, linux(y) in particular, all of the famous computer geeks (free software sorts) i can think of right now are in America, and i wouldn't travel that far to meet someone to say thanks and buy a beer for
Yeah, it would be cool if some South African ex-pat billionaire would move to England and launch the most popular community-driven Linux distro ever. But, until that happens, there are no important F/LOSS people in the UK. Sorry.

bodyharvester
September 20th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Yeah, it would be cool if some South African ex-pat billionaire would move to England and launch the most popular community-driven Linux distro ever. But, until that happens, there are no important F/LOSS people in the UK. Sorry.

what we need is those african farmers who have $16 mil to come over to fund stuff. does stallman ever do trips to the uk?

LinuxFox
September 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Was this at a Software Freedom Day event? Either way, it's still cool for you. Also cool on the Domo Kun plush, heh, I had one on top of my computer monitor before I moved it.

pwnst*r
September 20th, 2009, 12:27 AM

you should have let him sign your chest!

wojox
September 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM
what we need is those african farmers who have $16 mil to come over to fund stuff. does stallman ever do trips to the uk?

That went right over your head.

That's cool to here dragos.

bodyharvester
September 20th, 2009, 12:30 AM
That went right over your head.

^^^ went right over my head. What is that refering to? Also, has anyone ever met him anywhere else?

schauerlich
September 20th, 2009, 12:34 AM
^^^ went right over my head. What is that refering to? Also, has anyone ever met him anywhere else?
This:

Mark Richard Shuttleworth (born 18 September 1973) is a South African entrepreneur who was the second self-funded space tourist.[1][2] Shuttleworth founded Canonical Ltd. and as of 2009, provides leadership for the Ubuntu operating system.
He currently lives in London and holds dual citizenship of South Africa and the United Kingdom.

bodyharvester
September 20th, 2009, 12:36 AM
woah, did not know that, thanks for sharing!

spupy
September 20th, 2009, 01:21 AM

I think RMS is a pretty cool guy. eh fights closed source and doesn't afraid of anything...

Where did you meet him? (I assume some convention?)

/me wants Domo-kun plush. How big is it?

dragos240
September 20th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I think RMS is a pretty cool guy. eh fights closed source and doesn't afraid of anything...

Where did you meet him? (I assume some convention?)

/me wants Domo-kun plush. How big is it?

About 5 inches tall. I met RMS at software freedom day.

dragos240
September 20th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Oh and they used a distro called "Trisquel"

cmay
September 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I think its great that you got a chance to meet him. I remember when I met tony hawk when I was a kid. I thought that was cool back then.

collinp
September 20th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Oh, and I got a Domo Kun plush.

The best part.
Domo domo domo domo....

dragos240
September 20th, 2009, 02:28 PM
The best part.
Domo domo domo domo....

Yep. He's a big fuzzy brick with personalty.

handy
September 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Tim Berners-Lee was born in London.

Just one for the Brit's. :)

Sealbhach
September 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Tim Berners Lee? I think he lives in Switzerland though.

earthpigg
September 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM
thats rad, dude.

speedwell68
September 20th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Tim Berners Lee? I think he lives in Switzerland though.

He is still British though.:D

I do believe it was the Brits that invented the computer anyhow.

earthpigg
September 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM

uh oh.... rms and this claim, in the same thread?

koenn
September 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I believe it was the French ...

sim-value
September 20th, 2009, 08:45 PM
You must be selected that one of the Gods speak to you please share their message with us unpriviliged human beings still in the Slavery of software firms not open source ... *bows down in reverence*

p_quarles
September 20th, 2009, 08:57 PM
uh oh.... rms and this claim, in the same thread?
The mathematical principles of computing were discovered by Alan Turing, who was British. I'm fairly certain that RMS knows this.

kevdog
September 20th, 2009, 09:03 PM
This is all part of the great white conspiracy...

t0p
September 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM
The mathematical principles of computing were discovered by Alan Turing, who was British. I'm fairly certain that RMS knows this.

And the machine generally accepted as the first programmable, digital, electronic, computer was Colossus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer), designed by British post office engineer Tommy Flowers. And I live in the UK. Looks like we have everything! (Except for an rms.)

Incidentally, until this thread I didn't know what a Domo-Kun Plush was. So I scroogled it, and found a nice picture. Here it is. A furry brick. How nice...

http://www.cardboardspaceshiptoys.com/shop/images/domokun%207%20plush.jpg
http://http://www.cardboardspaceshiptoys.com/shop/images/domokun%207%20plush.jpg

phrostbyte
September 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
That's awesome! :)

Barrucadu
September 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM

And, of course, there's Charles Babbage's Difference Engine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_engine), which though never finished in his lifetime, did actually work when built.

Tom Mann
September 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Sir Clive Sinclair anybody?? :)

handy
September 20th, 2009, 10:54 PM
This is all part of the great white conspiracy...

I love your avatar.

It looks like a rat came out of your .um! :lolflag:

Tristam Green
September 21st, 2009, 02:34 PM
I got to meet Dan Aykroyd last week.

It was pretty darn cool, he's really tall and Canadian.

openfly
September 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
So I'm sitting in NYC Resistor one day. And the girl next to me says to herself... "Who is Richard Stallman, and why is he emailing me." She promptly dismisses him as a troll.

I ponder this at length and decide... her pragmatic approach to RMS is something LKML should have done years ago.

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 10:43 PM
See below :)

The Toxic Mite
September 23rd, 2009, 10:51 PM
:shock: you lucky <censored>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D:

schauerlich
September 23rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
What a nice forehead you have there.

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 10:53 PM
What a nice forehead you have there.

I see you like my neck. I bent my netbook camera over, and had my head looking at the bottom of the netbook.

ChrT
September 23rd, 2009, 10:53 PM
Get it framed.

The Toxic Mite
September 23rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
I see you like my neck. I bent my netbook camera over, and had my head looking at the bottom of the netbook.

Err wut? ¬_¬ :P

schauerlich
September 23rd, 2009, 10:56 PM

Why does your neck have an eyebrow and bangs?

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 10:56 PM
Actually, I'm not entirely sure what that is to the left. It is possibly my neck.

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 10:58 PM
Why does your neck have an eyebrow and bangs?

It couldn't. I was facing the other way.... either that, or I have another face.

The Toxic Mite
September 23rd, 2009, 10:59 PM
Great, first it's about dragos' legendary signed T-shirt, now it's about his face... :|

inb4 teh lock?

schauerlich
September 23rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
It couldn't. I was facing the other way.... either that, or I have another face.

I'm not eliminating that as a possibility. I still say forehead.

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 11:01 PM
Odd.

Viva
September 23rd, 2009, 11:07 PM
great:popcorn:

-grubby
September 23rd, 2009, 11:10 PM
That's not a very clear picture, I must say.

pwnst*r
September 23rd, 2009, 11:12 PM
i thought he autographed your chest.

Maheriano
September 23rd, 2009, 11:13 PM
Cool! You should have offered for him to nibble your feet!

The Toxic Mite
September 23rd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Cool! You should have offered for him to nibble your feet!

Urgh, please, shut up!

:-&:|

petrus4
September 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM

a) UNIX was initially designed around the premise that software had to be designed in a simple way, because human beings aren't sufficiently intelligent to be able to cope with complexity, beyond a certain level.

b) The design and use of a monolithic kernel is an extension of that. Modular or swarming microkernels might look sexy, but the design just has too much inherent complexity for human beings to be able to implement it well. It's too hard for us.

If RMS wants his own kernel for GNU, the only way he is going to get one is to go to either the UNIX Heritage Society (and look at the old kernel code/architecture there) or download one of the BSDs, and copy that one; maybe change it incrementally as he goes along.

He isn't going to get a microkernel working though, because we can't do that. Nobody can. OSX might be the only example of a working microkernel that truly exists yet, and I don't know if even that is a full microkernel, either.

petrus4
September 23rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
I got to meet Dan Aykroyd last week.

It was pretty darn cool, he's really tall and Canadian.

He is one actor who I'd love to meet, Tristam. I've always loved the Ghostbusters, and apparently he and I have similar interests, too. He loves the paranormal in real life, and did voiceover work for some awesome paranormal documentaries on the History Channel several years back.

bodyharvester
September 23rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
aww man, you're just showing off now :)

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
urgh, please, shut up!

:-&:|

+1

Eisenwinter
September 23rd, 2009, 11:52 PM
Cool.

I wouldn't be super excited if I got his signature, but I still think it's cool that you got to talk to him in person.

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 11:53 PM
I was pretty thrilled :p

overdrank
September 23rd, 2009, 11:54 PM
See below :)

dragos240 I hope you don't mind but I have merged your threads about RMS

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
I noticed.

bodyharvester
September 23rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
i was so confused when i clicked on the "moved" thread and landed here, atleast i think im here :confused:

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
You aren't. It is a mere illusion.

bodyharvester
September 24th, 2009, 12:03 AM
You aren't. It is a mere illusion.

rms didnt happen to offer you a red or blue pill did he? :shock:

dragos240
September 24th, 2009, 12:26 AM
rms didnt happen to offer you a red or blue pill did he? :shock:

No. But he did offer me an orange one. Just kidding.

Ptero-4
October 1st, 2009, 03:37 AM
He is one actor who I'd love to meet, Tristam. I've always loved the Ghostbusters, and apparently he and I have similar interests, too. He loves the paranormal in real life, and did voiceover work for some awesome paranormal documentaries on the History Channel several years back.

I saw both of the ghostbusters movies. BTW I really want to meet this actress
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=130330&stc=1&d=1254364348
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=130329&stc=1&d=1254364348
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=130328&stc=1&d=1254364348
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=130327&stc=1&d=1254364348
She's Julia Ling and guess what. She's all into opensource (BSD AFAIK).

Frak
October 1st, 2009, 04:34 AM
Oh, cool! Did he offer you any cheese?

LowSky
October 1st, 2009, 04:51 AM
Oh, cool! Did he offer you any cheese?

as in foot cheese?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=311042

hanzomon4
October 1st, 2009, 04:56 AM
Stop with the foot thing it's really grossing me out... I should have never watched that stupid video...

Frak
October 1st, 2009, 05:06 AM
as in foot cheese?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=311042
No, cheddar, why?

dragos240
October 1st, 2009, 04:18 PM
*Facepalm*

forrestcupp
October 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
Did he offer you his toe cheese?

:lolflag:

It only took until the 3rd post. I'm proud of you, EDavidBurg!

sudoer541
October 1st, 2009, 05:27 PM
Stop with the foot thing it's really grossing me out... I should have never watched that stupid video...

same here! I havent watched the video yet and I never will! gross!

ice60
October 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM
I believe that the UK equivalent would be Elizabeth II.

Well...

The Brits have Shakespeare and Churchill, I suppose. Isn't that good enough?comparing rms to those people is pretty offensive.

rms can be compared to someone like oswald mosley or ken livingston - mavericks with extreme political opinions.