PDA

View Full Version : A question for the mods on this forum...

speedwell68
September 19th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Why are the rules in the community cafe so harsh? I thought this was for idle chit chat? Just had a thread closed that started about Windows 7 and had gone completely off topic on tp short stocky men and the EMH from Star Trek Voyager. So what if the original question had been covered by an off site Wiki page. How does locking a random thread promote a sense of community?

spoons
September 19th, 2009, 09:56 PM
In before the lock!

sena_akada
September 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
some moderators here are very rude

speedwell68
September 19th, 2009, 10:01 PM
My concern is that a flowing conversation was just stopped for no reason, smacks a little of censorship IMHO. If it is a recurring disscussion then move it to that section, fine, but there is no reason on earth just to stop it.

earthpigg
September 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
sounds like it had more to do with where the thread was (not) going than with your origional post.

i've been known to pop into threads i wanted to keep alive and say things to the effect of: "lol... but hey guys, back on topic.... bla bla bla" to keep it from going astray.

ubuntuforums.org is, what? the third largest internet forum in existence? i can't remember where that was sourced from.

Ubuntu is more or less the flagship of Linux and Free Software on the Home Desktop. ubuntuforums.org is the community representation of that.

quite a burden, huh?

guess the discourse had better be civil. for the same reasons parliamentarians don't insult each others mothers when the cameras are rolling.

and, since the moderators are human and empowered to make decisions, they are bound to make decisions many would disagree with.

if anyone wants a smaller and less regulated community to hang out in, there are plenty of small forums out there for that.

also, moved to 'forum feedback' in 5...4...3...

Namtabmai
September 19th, 2009, 10:04 PM
My concern is that a flowing conversation was just stopped for no reason, smacks a little of censorship IMHO. If it is a recurring disscussion then move it to that section, fine, but there is no reason on earth just to stop it.

To be fair, it wasn't much of a conversation, it was a question which was answered within a couple of posts and could have been answered by googling/searching the forums.

From then on the thread was just de-railed and couldn't have gotten back on topic. If the thread had originally been about balding characters from TV series it may have stayed open.

matthew
September 19th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Feel free to post a question in the Resolution Center if you feel the forum rules have been violated. In any case, this is not the proper forum for this discussion and for that reason I am closing the thread.

Bachstelze
September 19th, 2009, 10:07 PM
The thread in question started to degenerate into bashing, which is why I closed it.