PDA

View Full Version : front page 2003

lance bermudez
September 19th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Does any one know where i can get a legal copy of Microsoft front page 2003 in the united states? I need it to redo my school web cite. I was told that our server would only take pages made in front page. I tried to use kompozer that i installed using synaptic. but it crashes as soon as the mouse go over form or insert. I even download from their web cite the .deb and the program still crashes. it should not matter what program i use right as long as i save the pages as .htm like they want right.

hessiess
September 19th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Learn HTML and CSS, the code that Front Page produces is extremely ugly and unmaintainable. Front Page is just a visual HTML editor, your server should be able to serve any static HTML, though it sounds like you seriously need to update the server.

lance bermudez
September 20th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I was using an old version of dream weaver to fill in what i forgot about html. but my school is in a rural area so it would not surprise me that the server needs to be updated. mostly i was just using the split view in dream weaver to see the code on top and page layout below.

nvteighen
September 20th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Hm... Those are two different and separate issues. One is the way you generate your page and another is the need to update your server.

Front Page and usually all HTML-related software by Microsoft use non-standard stuff meant to be optimized only for IE. Of course, using Front Page 2003 will lead to IE 6 optimized code... :P

The best is to learn XHTML 1.1 Strict. Whether to use an IDE or not, well, it's a dispute we have at these forums a lot. But what's sure is that you have to know (X)HTML in order to fix things manually...

Now, my preference is to write the HTML all by hand in a text editor.

stinger30au
September 20th, 2009, 01:09 PM
got any second hand stores near by. sometimes cds like this crop up in there time to time

put an advert in a local news paper perhaps too

tturrisi
September 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Existing school site created using Front Page? Front page extensions installed on the server? The school should supply you w/ a copy of Front Page. Make it their problem.